to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:09 AM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,004 Posts
shear blocks

Thanks Joe.

The wings on the Riser 100 as built from the kit are a bit on the weak side. I wanted to strengthen the wings some so I am adding 1/4" balsa shear blocks between the upper and lower spars. This will add strength with little weight.

PP
planepainter is offline Find More Posts by planepainter
Old Jan 14, 2011, 08:18 PM
volare est vivere
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Jan 2005
1,999 Posts
hi there from Toledo

hey PP

The shear blocks will definitely stiffen the riser wing ala the Oly III wing. Good job on the rebuild/upgrade.

When I refit and electrified the OlyII ("the damsel in distress") last spring, I sheeted the Dtube with 1/64" plywood and sanded the plywood to blend with the airfoil and the LE. It flies great and is bullet proof relative to flutter in dives and high speed passes.

I suppose it is heavier than balsa Dtube but strong, oh yeah!

I also added a 28" flat center panel to stretch the wing to 128". It flies better than I had hoped.

keep up the good work.

ciao -rjf
ray foley is offline Find More Posts by ray foley
Last edited by ray foley; May 22, 2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:11 PM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,004 Posts
Here are two photos of how I plan to solve the "D"sheeting application. I decided to create a groove into the ribs forward of the spar so I could glue in a stringer that measures 1/4"X1/4". I made a small sanding tool out of 1/4" balsa stock and glued some sand paper on one edge. That allowed me to sand the groove down to the depth I wanted. The balsa stringer is 1/16" deeper than the top of the spar so that when I apply the sheeting it will be at the same height as the top of the spar.
I glued the stringer in place making sure the depth was correct and that the stringer was glued to the spar and the ribs it rests on.

PP
Old Mar 03, 2011, 10:58 AM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,004 Posts
sheeted wing

Sorry I haven't written for a spell. Finally got some things in place so I can continue the build. This photo shows a nearly completed beautifully sheeted wing. Sheeted upper and lower. And I made a new tip to go with the new look.

PP
Old Mar 03, 2011, 12:06 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,510 Posts
Wow P.P.! That's pure gorgeous! But where does the spoiler go?!
Captain Canardly is online now Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2011, 03:13 PM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,004 Posts
Hi Captain! Good to be back. This plane will not have spoilers. It is being modified for flaps. The spoiler frame on top of the wing is still there as I did not want to carve up the wing to try to remove the pieces, but it will use the same spoiler bay for the flap servo.

But ain't that the most beautiful Riser 100 wing you ever saw?

PP
Old Mar 03, 2011, 05:11 PM
Joined Jun 2009
410 Posts
Looks good Donald.

Kind of wondered where you had gone too. Hope all is well and in order now.

Joe
flyb0y is offline Find More Posts by flyb0y
Old Mar 03, 2011, 05:36 PM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Eastern Norway Scandinavia
Joined Dec 2009
1,084 Posts
Quote:
But ain't that the most beautiful Riser 100 wing you ever saw?
Yes Sir! It is I am building one myself, but this is my first big wood Sail Plane. So I build it without any modifications.
My son took the bones out for some fresh air.
ArneHu is offline Find More Posts by ArneHu
Old Mar 03, 2011, 06:11 PM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,004 Posts
Yep. Them bones look very familiar....
Old Mar 03, 2011, 06:19 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,510 Posts
P.P.! I was pulling yer chain! seems to be linked!
seriously though, Yes it is! Now, to mount it "properly"- after the Crimson is done!
BTW, My Mailing address is: --))*&
Captain Canardly is online now Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2011, 07:03 PM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,004 Posts
I hear ya Captain!

But still, spoilers might not be a bad idea for those really monster thermals! Not sure flaps would get the plane down as well.

PP
Old Mar 03, 2011, 07:09 PM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,004 Posts
I'm sorry, but this build log will not be a blow by blow account like I did on my OLYIII build but I will try to hit the high points and answer any questions that are thrown my way. It is just a lot of time involved with descriptions and posting photos. But I am sure we all can still have some fun on this log.
This will be the first time I have attempted to remove the rear half of an already built fuse and add a carbon boom. Should be interesting....

PP
Old May 17, 2011, 12:00 PM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,004 Posts
wing and center section

Hi guys. Sorry I haven't written for a while but I just relocated my lost camera. But I have been working on my Riser 133 and wanted to give you an idea where I am in the build.
I am getting close to completing the center section. I have run the wiring for the flap servos and closed off the mid section that lies atop the pod. I still have to do the flaps and build the removable access panels for the servos. The wing will be secured to the pod with 1/4-20 nylon bolts the pass through balsa blocks that are glued in the center section and will screw into "hidden" nuts that are secured into brackets that are glued in the fuse pod. Photos to come.
The outer wing panels are close to being done but I still have to run the servo wiring and build in the removable flap servo panels on those too. As you can see the flaps are done for both of the wings. I plan to use carbon rod to drive the flaps from the servos.
The fuse pod has been cut just aft of the wing and a new hand crafted balsa boom cone has been installed. The cone exterior has been strengthened with light glass cloth and epoxy.
I will be more timely with photos in the future with this log now that I have found my camera....
Old May 17, 2011, 07:17 PM
R2R
St Johns, FL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
600 Posts
planepainter,

I am hoping to build a pod myself soon and would love to read some details on what you did to create the boom cone. Also, will the boom fasten in two places like a Bubble Dancer pod/boom?
R2R is online now Find More Posts by R2R