Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 26, 2010, 02:17 PM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,004 Posts
Build Log
SIG Riser 130 rebuild

Hi guys. Well, it is that time again. A time when we can all chime in with ideas, suggestions or even bad advice. I plan to totally rework (within reason) my SIG Riser 100 into a great thermal floater Riser 130.
One suggestion I will not heed is something like "just throw it away and buy an AVA". As much as I would like to have an AVA the idea of reworking my old Riser into a bigger and (hopefully) more efficient plane somehow creates an interesting challenge.
Attached are a couple of photos. The first one shows the plane as it was completed new in Feb. of 2009 before all of the repairs it would go through teaching me the basics of rc soaring.
The second photo shows the plane last summer after having spent several weeks at the top of a huge tree before my former Army Ranger Son-in-law climbed up most of the way and barely got it down. Since then it has been hanging in my workshop torn and tattered. It just seemed to me to be an offering of selflessness (my son-in-law) and I just wanted to leave it be for a while.

But now is building season and after having done a major recent rework of my Spirit 2 meter and a new build of an OLYIII, I just want to see what can be done with this plane.

More photos will be posted soon as I have already drawn up the center section plan, cut out all of the ribs, ordered the carbon tail boom, and am starting to rework the bad wing.

So come on guys. Let's have some fun!!

PP
planepainter is offline Find More Posts by planepainter
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2010, 02:50 PM
Sanford, Michigan
Joined Dec 2009
62 Posts
I gotta say I find this idea very interesting too. I have built many a Riser 100's and have always thought about streaching the wing bigger, perhaps to 144"? I will be watching with great interest! Good luck!!!!
SailplaneHawk is offline Find More Posts by SailplaneHawk
Old Dec 26, 2010, 04:23 PM
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Jan 2010
931 Posts
You are.....

....a madman! But we're still waiting to see the build log- Paul
Pauliwog is offline Find More Posts by Pauliwog
Old Dec 26, 2010, 05:43 PM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,004 Posts
Hey Paul, maybe I should change my user name to madman!

PP
Old Dec 26, 2010, 06:01 PM
United States, FL, Shalimar
Joined Jan 2009
309 Posts
Go down to a local building plans shop, hand them your plans and tell them how much bigger you want them..... in 10 mins you'll have whatever sized Riser you want.....is it the "right thing" to do???... if your using if for yourself I'll look the other way. Cost $3.00 per page.

J1
jolly01 is offline Find More Posts by jolly01
Old Dec 26, 2010, 06:25 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,919 Posts
So it sounds like all you're keeping from the original glider is the tip sections (formerly the entire wing)? Or are you keeping part of the fuselage as a "pod"? If so, you'll need to move it forward for a longer nose, or else build the tail extremely light. If you use the original tail surfaces, you'll need to make that tailboom very long.

Interesting project. Will it be like that very old axe which has had two heads and three handles?
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: paper blast tube test
Old Dec 26, 2010, 06:36 PM
R2R
St Johns, FL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
603 Posts
Awesome, PP. Can't wait to watch as you dive into the details of the build. Are you planning a two piece or three piece wing?
R2R is offline Find More Posts by R2R
Old Dec 26, 2010, 07:10 PM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,004 Posts
Jolly, I will build a 30" center section using the left over ribs as a guide for the center ribs. I am only making the plane "bigger" by expanding the wing span from 100" to 130". Then I will add a carbon tail boom to get the tail feathers out there.

Lincoln, I will keep the pod the same except for cutting off the fuse aft of the trailing edge (I always thought the fuse length on the original was a bit too short anyway...), creating a tail cone and adding the boom. I most likely will not keep the original feathers but I thought they were too heavy anyway.

R2R, three piece wing.

PP
Old Dec 27, 2010, 12:36 AM
Indiana
Joined Nov 2010
8 Posts
I did this to a windrifter some time ago, 100, to 130, 3 piece wing,. alittle more stab. span, increased rudder size, kept fuse the same, great flier in very low wind, can see it far away, been flying it for 15yrs. plus now//
mustang 3 is offline Find More Posts by mustang 3
Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:46 AM
Joined Aug 2005
2,682 Posts
Are you going to stay with RES or adding ailerons and flaps?

DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56
Old Dec 27, 2010, 12:07 PM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,004 Posts
Mustang, good to know I'm not as crazy as I thought.

DT56, RES.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 05:09 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,551 Posts
I have on @ my blog, if you want the original root panels to remain the same, and rework the tip- with flaps--
Captain Canardly is online now Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Doin' What come naturally!
Old Dec 28, 2010, 08:30 AM
LSF 4685
Winchester, KY
Joined Sep 2009
498 Posts
Good morning PP,

Just a plea from me: Please don't change your screen name to madman. If you did, we couldn't differentiate you from the rest of us madmen.

Happy New Year to you and all who share our madness.

Dave
k4to.dave is offline Find More Posts by k4to.dave
Old Dec 28, 2010, 09:49 AM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,004 Posts
Thanks Dave. And the same to all of you and yours.

PP
Old Dec 28, 2010, 04:41 PM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
GO FOR IT !!!!!!!!!! I stretched my EZ 400 G wing by adding a 2 ft center section. I used a CF fuse and moved the tail back a foot or so. It flies great. I had to add spoilers because the darn thing wouldn't land.

Just do it.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member