HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 25, 2010, 08:40 PM
United States, NV, Carson City
Joined Jan 2007
631 Posts
Build Log
M60

Hay all, I just bought my first M60 kit today. I will try to keep everyone up to dated on the build bu the way this is going to be a first for me seeing how I haven't built a glider like this before, meaning I haven't built a gilder were Spackle was involved. I'm looking forward to viewing your post on advice and comments.

Here is the kit if your don't know of the name.
http://www.northcountyflyingmachines.com/M60.htm
ian murdock is offline Find More Posts by ian murdock
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2010, 09:50 PM
San Diego North County
Del Mar
Joined Feb 2007
755 Posts
Ian,

Matin has very good instructions on the NCFM website. I know the instructions seem like a handfull but if you take the time to read all of them first, I will guarentee that you can do a great build job.

Have fun, take your time, the M60 's fly great.

Mr. Robert
Mr. Robert is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Robert
Old Dec 25, 2010, 09:55 PM
Joined Jan 2007
631 Posts
I'm hoping Mr. Robert. I'm thinking that the glider will be a new learning experience for me. Do you know what they paint the glider with?
Old Dec 25, 2010, 10:58 PM
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Oct 2009
590 Posts
after loving the moth all year,i just finished my m60 the day before the wind stopped
for a month.
i needed it light......
so slap it together,cover it in ultra cote and chuck it
ncfm has a great technique for final balancing so if you nail that
youll love it
steeg
steeg is offline Find More Posts by steeg
Old Dec 25, 2010, 11:30 PM
Objects in mirror are losing
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,577 Posts
Lots of good threads on building foamies here and the DS forum. I live in Reno and fly there (occasionally) If you're in the area I can give you some pointers. My foamies fly ok.
stu
1000MPH is offline Find More Posts by 1000MPH
Old Dec 27, 2010, 06:14 PM
Joined Jan 2007
631 Posts
What do you guys think would be a good covering for this model see as it will need to hold up agents sage brush, dirt and rocks if I can't catch it?

Thanks
Ian
Old Dec 30, 2010, 10:18 PM
Joined Jan 2007
631 Posts
Hay all just got my M60 kit in the mail today. This is going to be a fun build. The only thing that I'm confused on is were I'm going to by this goop from? Any Ideas or know of any stores? I'm thinking that I might find it in Reno.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 10:30 PM
ALL IN !
Carlsbad, California, United States
Joined Feb 2004
2,786 Posts
Ace hardware, Lowe's and Home depot dunno if those stores are there. Try your local hardware store just make sure its the marine goop.
Louied is offline Find More Posts by Louied
Old Dec 31, 2010, 01:58 AM
EPP Extrordinare
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Feb 2008
3,324 Posts
I got goop at ACE/TrueValue. Also try Micheal's. They sometimes scan the 40% off reciepts for you. I got a regular 3.7oz household goop tube for only $2.29!!!
Mr. Combat Certain is online now Find More Posts by Mr. Combat Certain
Old Dec 31, 2010, 02:51 AM
Soaring in Sol Cal
San Diego, CA
Joined Jul 2007
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orni-freak View Post
I got goop at ACE/TrueValue. Also try Micheal's. They sometimes scan the 40% off reciepts for you. I got a regular 3.7oz household goop tube for only $2.29!!!

Thats a great deal, however the Marine Goop is really good stuff. It's more expensive but it has UV protection and will last longer.
rcGman is offline Find More Posts by rcGman
Old Dec 31, 2010, 07:40 AM
Just Toss It !!!
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined May 2004
5,911 Posts
To All Goop Haters!

Even though we talk about using Goop in the M60 and Moth manuals, a better product in out there if you can get your hands on it.

It's called Welder.

We haven't changed the manuals, because Welders availability has been spotty.
Walmart used to carry it a few years ago. But now that they have expanded their "produce department", the glue rack has shrunk and you can't find Welder there.

The advantages of Welder are that it dries much faster, yet it 'levels' much better than Goop and as such doesn't need to be thinned (bye bye Toluene!).
It also develops a hard crust and is not as sticky and gummy as Goop in the long run (picks up less of the LZ (!) if you will!)
And it doesn't stink as much!

So if you can source it (you can find it on Amazon HERE) give it a try. I think you'll like it.

And there's the PU finish! But that's another story (until I can do a video presentation)

Matin
MATIN is online now Find More Posts by MATIN
Old Dec 31, 2010, 09:00 AM
Joined Jan 2007
631 Posts
Cool guys, I was thinking that this was going to be an adventure to find the goop. sounds like it could be just down the street at Low's. Now for the thiner, if I use the Welder I don't need it right, but the goop I will so were to buy. Warning I will be asking weird questions and my repeat something someone has already said. Know that you know, sence Gorilla Glue is a type of PU dose that mean that I can uses it instead of Goop or do I need both?
Old Dec 31, 2010, 09:43 AM
Just Toss It !!!
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined May 2004
5,911 Posts
Ian

For the record, even though as the owner of NCFM I probably have more answers for customers like yourself, I usually assume that if you post your questions in RCGroups, you are seeking answers from fellow builders and not me.
This is usually the case when builders want hear about others experiences regardless of what the kit-maker says or represent as well as double checking the validity of information contained in the manuals.
I monitor most of the threads like this one but only jump in only when I feel the correct answers are not forthcoming or the seeker is being led astray (Not here!)
If you seek answers personally from me, you can always send me a message at flight@northcountyflyingmachines.com

Now on to your latest question (since I think most are in a pre-New Year daze!):

You need a bunch of different products to build your M60.

Epoxy or Gorilla glue for gluing in the spar.
Epoxy for gluing the drag spar.
Epoxy for potting the servos
Epoxy for building the fuselage.
Goop or Welder for covering/finishing the fuselage.
Lightweight spackle for smoothing the wing.
3M77 for making the wings sticky.
Ultracote for covering the wings.

I would not use PU glue (Gorilla) to "finish" the wing or the fuselage, on your first EPP build.

Matin
Old Dec 31, 2010, 03:43 PM
Joined Jan 2007
631 Posts
MATAIN I bought 4oz of welders and 4oz of Gorilla but no goop. I was going to use the welders to finish the wing, but not be to sure of my buy I also bought the gorilla just in case and more along the lines of using it for assembly. Thanks for the help I will be keeping everyone posted on the build and try to post some picks.

This Welders stuff reminds me of building plastic models back in the day.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 03:53 PM
Just Toss It !!!
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined May 2004
5,911 Posts
Ian

Don't use the Welder to build the wing. Use epoxy instead.
Use the Welder to give the fuselage a couple of coats of finish.

Matin