HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 25, 2010, 02:50 PM
Joined Dec 2010
3 Posts
Discussion
Painting/fixing hull of BlackJack 26

Hello!

I crashed my Proboat Blackjack26 boat into the dock at low speed and noticed that the front of the boat got nicked and the paint has chipped off and the underneath fiberglass is showing a bit, also there is a 2 inch long hairline crack at the nose of the boat. How do I fix this so that it appears as good as new again? My son is not pleased with what I have done!

The color of the boat is white.

Thanks!

Vidur
videovid is offline Find More Posts by videovid
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2010, 04:17 PM
Memento Mori
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Sep 2009
3,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by videovid View Post
Hello!

I crashed my Proboat Blackjack26 boat into the dock at low speed and noticed that the front of the boat got nicked and the paint has chipped off and the underneath fiberglass is showing a bit, also there is a 2 inch long hairline crack at the nose of the boat. How do I fix this so that it appears as good as new again? My son is not pleased with what I have done!

The color of the boat is white.

Thanks!

Vidur

Is the crack all the way through or just in the gel-coat? Have any pic of the damage? If it's just gel-coat (not all the way through the hull) I wouldn't worry to much about it, if all the through you will have to sand and lay some new fiberglass down over the crack. You can pick up a fiberglass repair kit at like a auto store. The nicks on the front if not too bad you can either cover with a 2 part epoxy sand and paint or you can cut small pieces of fiberglass up into the resin that comes with the kit and patch the small holes/nicks that way. Sand then paint.
Diesel6401 is online now Find More Posts by Diesel6401
Old Dec 25, 2010, 10:45 PM
Joined Dec 2010
3 Posts
Thanks Diesel.

I guess my question is paint with what?
videovid is offline Find More Posts by videovid
Old Dec 26, 2010, 01:05 AM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Feb 2007
459 Posts
Matching paint to gel coat will be hard to do. You can use white "appliance" enamel but it might not match 100%. If you don't care for a perfect match then you're good to go! Just paint and wet sand it with 800-1000 grit. I would suggest adding a little bit of 2 part epoxy to the inside of the hull, at the sponsons. Use a small brush and extend the handel with a wooden dowell at least 1/2 in diameter to reach inside the boat. Just the epoxy will strengthen it up a bit. Just don't cake it on too thick or it will add too much weight. If you can reach inside to add fiberglass even better!

Good luck!!
Rafael
LOSIFIEND is offline Find More Posts by LOSIFIEND