SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: Should there be a Time Limit on Reporting Posts
Yes , a 2 month limit 1 20.00%
Yes , a 4 month limit 0 0%
Yes , a 6 month limit 0 0%
Yes , Only posts posted under the Current Reporting system should be eligable for report 1 20.00%
No , no limit , posts even 10 years old are fair game for reporting 3 60.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old Dec 24, 2010, 04:58 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2008
2,937 Posts
Poll
Should there be a time limit on the Reporting of Posts ?

Hi Guys ,

It seems that recently we have had a couple of posts get reported that are approaching 10 years old . This , In my opinion , is unacceptable , and I beleive it readily shows vendetta reporting IS an ongoing occourance here at RCG . We all know what offensive is , and when we see it we usually ask the poster to edit - at least giving the poster the benefit of the doubt before jumping on the report button . A Truly offensive post isnt going to last hours , much less days , without being reported - so any post thats stood for almost 10 years ought to be safe , Right ? To come out of the Blue with a report of a 10 year old post just isnt in the spirit of what the reporting system is intended for - to keep RCG "family friendly" .

So , Waddya think , should there be a time limit on reporting ?????
init4fun is offline Find More Posts by init4fun
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2010, 05:11 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,679 Posts
Clearly, the application of the current rules and the current reporting system, retrospectively, to posts that are several years old, from before that system was put in place, is unacceptable. The system in place before the current system worked in a completely different manner and the rules were also different then.

The forum software has a setting, whereby a thread that has not been posted to for a certain length of time has a message pop up to state that the thread is old, with no new posts for several months and probably does not need adding to. The recommendation is to start another thread and nt to add to the old one.

Perhaps the time limit which is set for that message to appear, and I don't know what that is, would be a good starting point as a statute of limitations for action to be taken on reported posts.

The danger is - and the post that you refer to in the thread in SSC is a clear example - that largely innocuous posts being sought out for the purposes of some form of reporting vendetta will unnecessarily waste moderator time, upset the members here and, given the timing issues discussed above, are fundamentally unjust.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Dec 24, 2010, 05:49 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
What if a member goes to his blog page and writes some long boring treatise on world economics.... maybe something two or three pages long. Nobody reads it of course, and doesn't know that 3/4 of the way through his treatise, he inserts the most foul and vulgar sentence he can think of.

His blog post goes unread for a year or two, and someone finally catches it.

Does the blog owner have the right to demand his post can't be reported anymore because of the statute of limitations?
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Old Dec 24, 2010, 06:13 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2008
2,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone View Post
What if a member goes to his blog page and writes some long boring treatise on world economics.... maybe something two or three pages long. Nobody reads it of course, and doesn't know that 3/4 of the way through his treatise, he inserts the most foul and vulgar sentence he can think of.

Does the blog owner have the right to demand his post can't be reported anymore because of the statute of limitations?
Hi Chuck ,

Yes , indeed , there were unthought of (by me) consequenses that Jim Bourke Kindly spelled out for me over in site suggestions . The URL changing was a great reason - could you imagine clicking on a Sailplane URL and getting an Eyefull of adult content ? .......Yea , wouldnt bother me either , but it WOULD bother me if my 11 year old Son saw it , and in the Family Friendly spirit of RCG i understand Jim's Explaination perfectly .

I think Ill stick to building RC planes , rather than trying to help improving something that really dont need much improvement
Last edited by init4fun; Dec 24, 2010 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Spelling , of course :)
Old Dec 24, 2010, 06:21 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone View Post

There's always going to be cases where there are mitigating circumstances - in either direction.

The bottom line actually is not in the reporting, as such, it is in the nature of any actions taken in response to that reporting. It would be necessary for the rules under which a post is reported to have been in action at the time that the post were made.

For a start the moderators would be in a position to identify whether such post reports were made with malicious intent and to treat those reports accordingly.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Dec 24, 2010, 07:34 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2008
2,937 Posts
I want to Thank Leccy and No Fly for the Insight into this , and since its a Dead issue I'll go and Close this Thread now .

Happy Flying Guys !

Closed Thread