Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 24, 2010, 12:41 PM
Joined Dec 2010
12 Posts
New Product
Double Horse 9100 Single Rotor Fixed Pitch

All,

I bought one of the new, and thus far, hard to find 3CH Double Horse 9100 helis. As my previous posts said, I only bought it because I couldn't believe the price. (Around $40 US) Yes, I bought it in Shanghai on a business trip. That's why it was so cheap.

It is a 3CH heli, and as such does not have any roll control. It is, of course, roll stabilized because of the flybar setup, but the pilot has no control over the "ailerons". The only servo connected to the swashplate is for pitch "elevator". The yaw axis is controlled by an integral gyro and conventional geared electric tail rotor (and actually worked very well)

If you have never flown a 3CH "pitch only" SR FP heli, you're in for a surprise. If the slightest drift left or right sets in, your only remedy is to yaw the beast away from the drift, and apply fwd stick. In mine, the heli had a perpertual drift to the left, no matter which way the nose was pointing. So, a stable hover was nearly impossible...when I yawed it to stop the drift, it would simply continue the drift in a new direction. The only remedy for the incessant left drift was to keep the tail outside the ever widening circle that it was flying. There was no trim control to stop this drift. (obvious, since there was no roll servo attached to the swash)

Unlike a coaxial heli, it was not dynamically stable. When it started a lateral drift, and you centered the cyclic, the bird kept flying in the same direction, accelerating towards disaster. Do not attempt to fly one of these indoors like you can with a 4CH SR FP heli (mSR, or 120SR).

This thing was an exercise in frustration, and broken parts. Frankly, I got exactly what I paid for. What can you expect for $40 bucks? By the way, if you want mine, you'll find it at the curb with the rest of the garbage. Better hurry, though, they pick up on Monday morning.
hobienut is offline Find More Posts by hobienut
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2010, 12:59 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,098 Posts
For 10 bucks more you can get a 4 channel that will be actually flyable. A 3 channel FP with no electronic roll stabilisation is a disaster waiting to happen, like your story clearly shows...
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2010, 03:02 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,683 Posts
The CG being off will cause a drift. If it's drifting left, try adding weight to the right skid.
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
Old Apr 01, 2013, 01:38 PM
Joined Mar 2013
3 Posts
double horse 9100 drift issue

Hi All
I'm new here & I hope you can put me on the path to success.
Has anybody come up with a real solution to the left & backwards drift of the DH 9100??
I've tried the extra weight on the right skid & moving the battery around , but it still just drifts all over the place.( mostly LEFT & BACK )
Is this heli controlable??
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
I don't want it to be a "dust collector".
TIA
zippy12 is offline Find More Posts by zippy12
Old Apr 01, 2013, 02:15 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,370 Posts
The only real solution is to add a 4th channel and that isn't worth the cost and effort. The way it's configured, it uses it's only servo to provide forward movement and some roll control. It's a poor compromise and severely cripples the control functions, providing extremely poor movement control and no resistance to translating tendency, which is common to all helis. For the handful of suckers who bought this heli it is simply a "parts donor". At least you won't have to worry about it collecting dust.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Apr 07, 2013, 07:15 PM
Joined Mar 2013
3 Posts
since I got it for FREE , I was just hoping it might jusy fly...............if nobody can help me get it going , I've lost nothing but my time........get it??
zippy12 is offline Find More Posts by zippy12
Old Apr 07, 2013, 08:03 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,370 Posts
You paid what it's worth. You and I both spent more time than it deserves, just typing. It was a failure.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14