Old Mar 03, 2013, 05:48 AM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathWarmedUp View Post
Cub,
U have the right parts but u should have four springs in a packet to connect to the center piece. There will also be four black heat shrink to put over the springs to give the look. Don't shrink it fully, just the ends.
I just looked through the thread and found some pics of other folk's gear. I see how it goes now. It definitely did not look like the manual. I was not provided with 4 pcs of heat shrink, but I have plenty on hand. Thanks for the response

-Cub
Cubcrazy is online now Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Z Cub Floats are here!!
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2013, 06:28 AM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,926 Posts
I am seeing two different types. One with springs on top and bottom...the other with plastic X-support and springs on bottom only. Springs on bottom only is correct scale though.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2013, 07:30 AM
Houston
Joined Oct 2006
251 Posts
Leave the heat shrink off, or at least loose. The springs can't do their job if squashed by the heat shrink.

The earlier models had just the lower springs. Later, they upgraded to the 4 spring setup in an attempt to minimize damage on the hard landings.

Mine is the earlier version. I replaced the springs with heavier ones.

That, and the big ol' Trexlers, I haven't broken anything yet.
Tail Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Tail Wheel
Old Mar 03, 2013, 07:42 AM
Plane Fanatic
Australia, QLD, Gympie
Joined Jul 2007
848 Posts
Yeah, manual shows original. Mine, like yours, is with four springs. I put on heat shrink but only loose for looks. Just shrunk ends a bit so it could not slide down off plastic rods back over the springs. Looks OK but, yeah, not scale, it is a foamy after all. Biggest tip from others is to glue the main gear legs into the channels on the triangle pieces.
DeathWarmedUp is offline Find More Posts by DeathWarmedUp
Old Mar 03, 2013, 01:00 PM
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2011
104 Posts
This link has the landing gear assembly http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1384440
STANG09 is offline Find More Posts by STANG09
Old Mar 03, 2013, 01:22 PM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG09 View Post
This link has the landing gear assembly http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1384440
Great Stuff. Thanks for the link. This is the best foam J-3 on the market as far as I am concerned. I fly almost exclusively EPO planes. The fun-frustration ratio is much better with EPO.

-Cub
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2013, 01:43 PM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,926 Posts
Float Pic

Here is a pic for size reference. I got mine from MotionRC. Absolutely perfect floats for this plane. It should come with them like the Flyzone DHC-2 does.
http://www.motionrc.com/flyzone-dhc-2-beaver-float-set/

I went ahead and got the metal attaching hardware as well. It's gonna be AWESOME!

http://www.motionrc.com/flyzone-dhc-...mount-bracket/

-Cub
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2013, 01:47 PM
*Noted Nerd*
United States, OR, Sandy
Joined Jul 2004
639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubcrazy View Post
Here is a pic for size reference. I got mine from MotionRC. Absolutely perfect floats for this plane. It should come with them like the Flyzone DHC-2 does.
http://www.motionrc.com/flyzone-dhc-2-beaver-float-set/

I went ahead and got the metal attaching hardware as well. It's gonna be AWESOME!

http://www.motionrc.com/flyzone-dhc-...mount-bracket/

-Cub
Wow, right before I read this I ordered the same stuff from the same place! Please post as many pics as you can as you figure out the attachment of the hardware to the fuselage bit. I should be doing mine soon too. Really should be awesome!
Oregon Craig is offline Find More Posts by Oregon Craig
Old Mar 03, 2013, 01:55 PM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Craig View Post
Wow, right before I read this I ordered the same stuff from the same place! Please post as many pics as you can as you figure out the attachment of the hardware to the fuselage bit. I should be doing mine soon too. Really should be awesome!
Darnit!!! I forgot the Pic. I think the step of the float will sit close to the CG with little to no fuss.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2013, 06:28 PM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,926 Posts
Float Retrofit

Here are some pics of my progress. This retrofit is going very fast. Everything is dry fit right now. The floats didn't come with any paperwork..though I am sure a manual can be found online. The pictures show that with the legs bolted up...it was about 1 1/8" too wide for the J3. This was expected as the Beaver fuse is wider. I went ahead and took 9/16" off each end of the two cross members..and that solved that problem. The stance width is for lack of a better word...perfect. The stock bolts that connect the cross members to the float were too small for some reason..or the holes were too big from the factory. new holes are needed anyway since I shortened the cross members. I have the legs set up so the front leg is basically perpendicular to the float. The rear leg is angled slightly fwd at the fuse end. I will likely install some small carbon fiber rod or music wire to be functional torsion wires. To attach the legs to the fuselage...I am going to carve out some foam..and install a 1/2" square strip of hardwood. I will also be putting in some carbon fiber enforcement running nose to tail grooved into the foam and through the wood mounting block. This has been a VERY easy install so far. More details to come.

-Cub
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2013, 09:02 PM
United States, VT, Warren
Joined Apr 2011
218 Posts
hey guys. I have two of these planes I'd be willing to sell for parts. 1 is in flying condition and the other has a busted up fuse. I'll entertain offers on both of them shipped or LPU. Will add pics soon. Yellow version btw.
aviator4934 is offline Find More Posts by aviator4934
Old Mar 04, 2013, 03:35 AM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,926 Posts
Float Retrofit cont.

Well..it took me the entire day and night of on and off tinkering with the floats to make them work. They are now installed. I will post which float strut legs are in which position,as that is what took all the time. Figuring out which strut needed to face which way..and then trying to make the model sit square and level on the floats. what a PITA..but now I have a good base knowledge for installing the other set of floats that I have on my FMS Cessna 182 1400mm. There is still more work to be done on the J3's floats to include painting and such. I am not gonna go overboard with detail. I am gonna have nothing but float planes before too long.

-Cub
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2013, 09:40 AM
*Noted Nerd*
United States, OR, Sandy
Joined Jul 2004
639 Posts
Looking great, Crazy!

Each fall, we have an event here in Oregon called "Cub Nuts". You'd fit right in with a name like yours.

http://www.cubnuts.com/index.html
Oregon Craig is offline Find More Posts by Oregon Craig
Old Mar 05, 2013, 06:16 AM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
878 Posts
We had a 1946 J3 Piper cub land at Klenawicus International Airport on Shelter Island. This pic was in the local paper.
Name: 021313i_Piper_web_jal.jpg
Views: 56
Size: 235.5 KB
Description: Julie Lane Photo
http://shelterislandreporter.timesre...nds-on-island/
The Glide Slope is right over my house. Too Bad I missed the event.
H
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Last edited by shelterock; Mar 05, 2013 at 06:18 AM. Reason: added web link
Old Mar 05, 2013, 10:17 PM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,926 Posts
I noticed the motor mount on mine was loose right out of the box. The firewall was not glued in..but some Gorilla glue took care of that..nice and solid now. I went ahead and soldered up my external BEC...and am hoping that the stock ESC is worth a darn. Has anyone used the stock ESC with success? I know included HK ESC's are often not reliable..and normally I would swap for something better..but money is a little tight, and I wanted to get this thing ready to go. Thoughts?

-Cub
RCG Plus Member