HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2011, 06:19 PM
" Plain Crazy! "
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Oct 2008
2,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb0005 View Post
cheers honda, i've flown a real cub and plenty of aerobatics in various other aircraft, and let me tell you that man has talent!anyhow..
flew again this morning, a few loops and rolls and more landings. batt did not last anywhere near as long as my increased confidence meant more throttle usage!.i have a couple of questions on batteries.
1. what level should i discharge the battery to before recharging, at the moment i just run it till the prop wont turn but the controls all still work, then put it on charge once it has cooled down
2. what is a good charger that i can plug into the mains here in australia rather than using the stock one that requires you to hook it up to the car batt(preferably one that i can use with other different size li-po's
3. what other battery options do i have for the cub that will either increase endurance, give more power or both if possible, and is it possible to get a better battery that does not need mods to the battery location on the cub

thanks for your input guys, and by the way sworrds, try using some thin wire for the hydraulic lines, should be light and will stay in whatever shape you bend it to

So u with me down here!......which State?

1. You should not discharge a LiPo too low as they have a minimum discharge voltage and usually cannot be recharged if they get well below this!....do a Google re their use for discharge info...

The ESC is programmed to a safe cutoff anyway and when you start to get to low power it is time to get down (DON'T WAIT TIL THE MOTOR STOPS). I usually give my flying ten minutes (without Aeros)...then prepare to land with a couple of go arounds up my sleeve. The higher MaH you have the more fuel you have in your tank...but there is a weight and size penalty to factor in. LiPo batteries do not have a memory so unlike Nicad they can be charged from any level above their safe cutoff. There is a recommended store voltage on them which your Google will tell you.

2. I get my goods from Hobbycity (as we all do!)....they have a warehouse in Aus now..but you still can get supplies from HK if Aus does not have them. I got the Turnigy range of chargers...

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7898

dont forget your adapter as stock one for your present charger will not fit it

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6256

3. I have answered that above....I have ordered some 4S Turnigy 2650MaH from HC...check out their range. You may need to just cut out sides of battery bay etc with a sharp sharp kitchen paring knife as only mod to fit new batteries. COG usually not a problem...but your piloting experience will help you with that adjustment.

I am also into real world flying...and presently getting things organized for a new SportCruiser...and last edition of the PiperSport...to replace our previous AA5B.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Univer...7670262?v=wall

HJ
Hondajet is online now Find More Posts by Hondajet
Last edited by Hondajet; Jan 31, 2011 at 08:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2011, 10:10 PM
FLY HARD OR FLY HOME TO MUMMY
Joined Jan 2011
195 Posts
i live in NSW near newcastle. dont own a plane yet but plan to some time down the track, hopefully a yak 52. for now i just rent a pitts s2a most of the time or a cessna occasionally if i want to go somewhere. went to the local hobby shop and he reckons the hi tec 6 ch tx and reciever package is a good thing and he sells em for $285 having said that his batteries seemed pricey so i think i'll buy online again. what tx/rx do you use and are the hi tec any good?
jb0005 is offline Find More Posts by jb0005
Old Jan 31, 2011, 11:09 PM
Joined Jan 2011
195 Posts
i am looking at buying a turnigy 2200mah 3s 25c batt from hobby king and a turnigy accucell 6. the accucell 6 says it doesn't come with a wall plug power supply. where can i get one of these? and also will that batt be ok for the cub? it says it has an xt60 discharge plug - is this the same as the t-plug on the cub? i tried calling their hotline to ask but the lady who answered said she was in hong kong and sounded like she was on opium!
Old Feb 01, 2011, 07:25 AM
Slidell, LA
Joined Oct 2008
171 Posts
There is so much that can be said about batteries and chargers that you probably should search or post your questions on this site: http://www.rcgroups.com/batteries-and-chargers-129/. I use 4S 3000mAh Turnigy batteries because I have standardized on that one size. I can use two in parallel for my larger plane and they give me an easy 15 min. flight time in this plane. But they are a little heavy for this plane and you need to slightly enlarge the battery space to fit. I also standardized on one size battery because this allows me to charge all of my batteries in parallel. I use the SkyCharger Dual Power B6AC and really like it. Dual power means it can be used with both 12 volt battery and plug-in power sources.

Bad weather here so I will use this time to repair my plane. I've never owned an RC plane that I haven't crashed but in some ways it is nice to get the first crash over with.
swordds is offline Find More Posts by swordds
Old Feb 01, 2011, 07:33 PM
Joined Jan 2011
195 Posts
i've been flying early morning as the temp here has been hitting 40c all week.really started throwing it around this moring, half cubans, reverse half cubans, stall turns , 4 point rolls and lots of loops and barrels rolls. this thing rocks! i got quote for a batt the same size as the one that is in it $29, for a turnigy nano cell 2200mah 3s 20c 11.1v. is that about right for that quality of battery? the guy said he can sell me an adapter to go from the xt60 plug to my t plug so no soldering required on the new batt
Old Feb 03, 2011, 01:06 AM
" Plain Crazy! "
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Oct 2008
2,368 Posts
Quote:
i am looking at buying a turnigy 2200mah 3s 25c batt from hobby king and a turnigy accucell 6. the accucell 6 says it doesn't come with a wall plug power supply. where can i get one of these? and also will that batt be ok for the cub? it says it has an xt60 discharge plug - is this the same as the t-plug on the cub? i tried calling their hotline to ask but the lady who answered said she was in hong kong and sounded like she was on opium!

I am starting to run the 4S cells now on mine and just got the Turnigy 2650Mah 4S batteries from Australian Warehouse of Hobbycity.

Find 3S ok...but they start to run out of "Huff" after 6 to seven minutes and only operate at about 75% max power from then on.

Th 4S are better.... and anything to half throttle is scale power....above that you have the flexibility to do more "Turbocharged" maneuvers.

HJ
Old Feb 03, 2011, 01:15 AM
" Plain Crazy! "
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Oct 2008
2,368 Posts
Quote:
i've been flying early morning as the temp here has been hitting 40c all week.really started throwing it around this moring, half cubans, reverse half cubans, stall turns , 4 point rolls and lots of loops and barrels rolls. this thing rocks! i got quote for a batt the same size as the one that is in it $29, for a turnigy nano cell 2200mah 3s 20c 11.1v. is that about right for that quality of battery? the guy said he can sell me an adapter to go from the xt60 plug to my t plug so no soldering required on the new batt
Of course you know what to do after sitting in the s2a !!!

Not into nano tech yet....but could not understand your post re wall chargers ??

Suppose you saw what I use...Turnigy ones...and the separate 12v adapters they plug into for the household mains socket charging.....I posted the links on this page above in previous post.

HJ
Old Feb 03, 2011, 03:45 AM
Joined Jan 2011
195 Posts
ordered a charger from xtremehobby. told them i was after a swallow eq but they don't stock them anymore. apparently the one iv'e ordered is very similar in its capabilites and a little cheaper too($119). figured i might as well get a decent charger as i can't see an end to this rc thing now that i've started. been flyin' the cub at the crack of dawn everyday this week! as for batteries i ended up ordering a turnigy 2200 3s 25c(not nano tech) from hobby king and an xt60 to t-plug adaptor from diydrones.com in the states(pretty cheap at $5 delivered)
Old Feb 06, 2011, 05:56 PM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Not to take away from anything on this thread but I noticed a lack of build photos and video. From what I understand it is pretty simple but if your curious about all the rigging and such check out this thread. Both pictures and video of the build and actual flying video is over here.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1384440
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Old Feb 07, 2011, 12:24 AM
" Plain Crazy! "
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Oct 2008
2,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Pax View Post
Not to take away from anything on this thread but I noticed a lack of build photos and video. From what I understand it is pretty simple but if your curious about all the rigging and such check out this thread. Both pictures and video of the build and actual flying video is over here.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1384440
That is Excellent OP! thank you for the link.... I was hoping someone would go to the detail like this of this kit

You are right, now that this thread has just started ...we should really be over there...I will post something on that site shortly.

I found it difficult when searching this RC groups on this J-3 come up with a solid thread....but that has been solved now with this build thread.

I will move over there from now.......

HJ
Old Feb 07, 2011, 02:14 AM
Nelson Bay NSW Australia
Joined Jan 2011
4 Posts
Hullo,

I'm 'back in the hobby' after a few years (decades?) away. Started with the sole intention of helis - working my way through that one. Anyway, recently purchased the Starmax J3; out it together, checked alignment, and went shaking my way to my club field (near Newcastle NSW Australia). First flight (alone - I fly mode 1) taught a few lessons: (1) we have fairly spiky, long grass. Undercarragie paraphenailia disappeared first flight. (2) - VERY lively with the recommended 4S battery. Bit above my concentration level with this thing screaming all over the sky! To cut to the chase; I've modified the undercarriage (after 3 'losses') to a 'sport scale' (very rugged - none of the crap in the middle) version, that can take my landings (and the field's spiky grass). the best change by far - reduced battery to 3S 2200mah; (a) lose 90 gm weight; (b) transformed into a most docile, well behaved (for an old newby like me) scale- like slow flying bit of fun. What a change!

Look forward to keeping up with the thread...

Les
Lanel is offline Find More Posts by Lanel
Old Feb 07, 2011, 03:19 AM
" Plain Crazy! "
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Oct 2008
2,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanel View Post
Hullo,

I'm 'back in the hobby' after a few years (decades?) away. Started with the sole intention of helis - working my way through that one. Anyway, recently purchased the Starmax J3; out it together, checked alignment, and went shaking my way to my club field (near Newcastle NSW Australia). First flight (alone - I fly mode 1) taught a few lessons: (1) we have fairly spiky, long grass. Undercarragie paraphenailia disappeared first flight. (2) - VERY lively with the recommended 4S battery. Bit above my concentration level with this thing screaming all over the sky! To cut to the chase; I've modified the undercarriage (after 3 'losses') to a 'sport scale' (very rugged - none of the crap in the middle) version, that can take my landings (and the field's spiky grass). the best change by far - reduced battery to 3S 2200mah; (a) lose 90 gm weight; (b) transformed into a most docile, well behaved (for an old newby like me) scale- like slow flying bit of fun. What a change!

Look forward to keeping up with the thread...

Les

Thats right Les...she is definitely overpowered with 4S setup and for the moderate experience RC pilot is too powerful and would be difficult to handle if you fly her too fast with more than half throttle!

I fly her on 3S 3500mAh Turnigy batteries at 1800g + flying weight quite easily...however I have graduated to 4S turnigy 2600mAh of the same weight
for some flexibility in Aerobatics and moderate 3D work......but I still only use up to half power for scale flying and Take offs.

HJ

PS. Go over to that forum link below

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1384440&page=2

It is more detailed in presentation...and I will be posting from there from now on!

HJ
Last edited by Hondajet; Feb 07, 2011 at 03:25 AM.
Old Feb 07, 2011, 03:32 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
2,053 Posts
Was thinking about getting the Hobbyzone Select Scale Super Cub, but now this is tempting me as well since it's basically the same price. Whichever one I get will also be getting floats; would this plane have enough grunt on 3S to ROW? (I already have a couple 3S 2200's.)
Firehawk989 is offline Find More Posts by Firehawk989
Old Feb 08, 2011, 01:33 AM
" Plain Crazy! "
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Oct 2008
2,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk989 View Post
Was thinking about getting the Hobbyzone Select Scale Super Cub, but now this is tempting me as well since it's basically the same price. Whichever one I get will also be getting floats; would this plane have enough grunt on 3S to ROW? (I already have a couple 3S 2200's.)

Go to Link I posted Above...........I will answer you there!

HJ
Old Feb 10, 2011, 04:01 PM
Semper Fi
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Mar 2009
943 Posts
Hey JB - have you had a chance to fly the cub with the turnigy 2200 3s batteries ?
greedyg76 is offline Find More Posts by greedyg76