Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 28, 2011, 03:17 AM
FLY HARD OR FLY HOME TO MUMMY
Joined Jan 2011
195 Posts
thanks swordds, ill give it a try, just in case anyone else has the rtf kit or knows the problem, heres the original post "just took delivery of a starmax 1400mm j3 cub. the instructions are beyond terrible but i'm battling on..but now i'm stuck. i have finished assembling the plane and have charged the battery for the plane and the batteries for the transmitter, but when i plug the battery into the plane all i get is a beeping noise from the plane. the transmitter is on, all servos are plugged into the reciever(correct slots) and i cant see a switch anywhere on the plane that i may not have turned on....or is there one hidden somewhere? any advice would be appreciated"
jb0005 is offline Find More Posts by jb0005
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2011, 04:12 AM
Joined Jan 2011
195 Posts
tried what you suggested but to no avail, any other ideas?????
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:06 AM
" Plain Crazy! "
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Oct 2008
2,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb0005 View Post
tried what you suggested but to no avail, any other ideas?????

You may have to bind the transmitter to the receiver.....I know the instructions are shocking....with nothing on the radio setup!

You will need a bind plug for this....perhaps. I know it is no use to you but most of us use our own set Rx Tx.

HJ
Hondajet is offline Find More Posts by Hondajet
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:11 AM
" Plain Crazy! "
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Oct 2008
2,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swordds View Post
I know all of this would make more sense if I could post pictures but I haven't figured out how to do tats (yet). I guess I need to place my pictures on a server first? I'll probably work on that this weekend.

Also, did anyone notice the other StarMax J-3 post on this forum lookig for help with a transmitter/receiver problem? I replied but I doubt that my suggestion will help.
Take your digital pics then save them JPEG size on you desktop ....I use (open with) the old Paint program to reduce to 30% to fit page..then save as JPEG

Then go to manage attachments page and upoad file of desktop....

HJ
Last edited by Hondajet; Jan 28, 2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 01:30 PM
Slidell, LA
Joined Oct 2008
171 Posts
Hi jb0005,
I think Hondajet is right about needing to bind your transmitter and receiver. If you Google "How to bind an rc receiver" you will get all the information and instructions you need.

This site, for example, has video instructions:
How To Bind An RC Radio And Transmitter (8 min 18 sec)

Well I cartwheeled my plane on its right wing tip this morning. I believe for several reasons that the problem was a failure of the right aierliron in the full up position. It had failed in that position once before but I had enough altitude to gain control and land safely. This time I was just taking off and was only a few feet above the ground. It was also a very gusty day with a cross wind from the left; so a wind gust may also have been the problem. At this point I cant say for sure.

Basically the tail broke off and the tail control surfaces hinges all tore off and there was some minor damage to the cowel. Looks like I'll be installing hinges on the tail controll surfaces and replacing the servos with HiTech servos sooner than I thought. The breaks will be easy to repair and will be pretty much invisible. I will probably run some bamboo skewers through the break at the tail section for extra strength.
swordds is offline Find More Posts by swordds
Old Jan 28, 2011, 05:39 PM
" Plain Crazy! "
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Oct 2008
2,219 Posts
Quote:
Hi jb0005,
I think Hondajet is right about needing to bind your transmitter and receiver. If you Google "How to bind an rc receiver" you will get all the information and instructions you need.

This site, for example, has video instructions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HwhOvB3TkI.

Well I cartwheeled my plane on its right wing tip this morning. I believe for several reasons that the problem was a failure of the right aierliron in the full up position. It had failed in that position once before but I had enough altitude to gain control and land safely. This time I was just taking off and was only a few feet above the ground. It was also a very gusty day with a cross wind from the left; so a wind gust may also have been the problem. At this point I cant say for sure.

Basically the tail broke off and the tail control surfaces hinges all tore off and there was some minor damage to the cowel. Looks like I'll be installing hinges on the tail controll surfaces and replacing the servos with HiTech servos sooner than I thought. The breaks will be easy to repair and will be pretty much invisible. I will probably run some bamboo skewers through the break at the tail section for extra strength.

Yes I dont think they even supply you with a bind plug!

There is also a button on the front of the stock Tx for this procedure as well...

re down time on mishap.......should be able to fix ok as EPO easy to work with. Yes sounds like a dud aileron servo!

Always pays to replace with better parts....my servos appear to be quite ok and appear quite robust and free in their movement. Hopefully struck a good batch.

HJ
Old Jan 29, 2011, 06:45 AM
" Plain Crazy! "
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Oct 2008
2,219 Posts
More Flying

Went for a super stable flight this evening in dead calm conditions...... boy! it still takes a very gentle elevator hold off to try not to bounce! even though they are small ones.

Tried the 4S battery in these conditions and was stunned by the 3D ability....at altitude of course.

I was able to sustain 50deg constant climb outs and at 150 feet or so I just went vertical and held on the prop for a couple of seconds on only 80% power before a very slow and controlled fall away.......Fantastic!

Pic taken by my "Better Half" afterward....who patiently read her book while I flew!

HJ
Last edited by Hondajet; Jan 29, 2011 at 06:50 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 09:05 AM
Slidell, LA
Joined Oct 2008
171 Posts
Dang, I generally wait a week or so before reppaioing a crashed plane. Helps me do a better and more careful repair, I think. But I may expedite this plane repair!

BTW - any specific glue that you would recommend? I have about a dozen different types. This is my first EPO foam plane. Also, any suggestions on servos?
swordds is offline Find More Posts by swordds
Old Jan 29, 2011, 09:35 AM
" Plain Crazy! "
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Oct 2008
2,219 Posts
Quote:
Dang, I generally wait a week or so before reppaioing a crashed plane. Helps me do a better and more careful repair, I think. But I may expedite this plane repair!

BTW - any specific glue that you would recommend? I have about a dozen different types. This is my first EPO foam plane. Also, any suggestions on servos?
HXT 900's from Hobbycity Hongkong are the best value and Strong!

5 minute epoxy does a good job and you have time to align the parts as in with bamboo sticks or toothpics...as you press them together. Wipe off the excess with Isopropol Alcohol ...NOT Turps or thinner as it will eat into the EPO.

You can get the Iso Alco at any medical store (Drugstore) or Supermarket.

Also you can use CA and its variants if you want to and know how to use them with setters etc before applying the glue...or just use the CA straight carefully...but you usually have less time to set the fix in the right position!?

HJ
Old Jan 30, 2011, 03:24 AM
Joined Jan 2011
195 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys, i work all weekend so this is the first chance i've had to say thanks. there is a bind button on the stock tx but i can't see where you would attach a bind plug(not that i've ever seen one as this is my first rc plane!)i'll give your ideas a go tomorrow and i'll let you know how i get on...
Old Jan 30, 2011, 04:18 AM
" Plain Crazy! "
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Oct 2008
2,219 Posts
Binding process

Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys, i work all weekend so this is the first chance i've had to say thanks. there is a bind button on the stock tx but i can't see where you would attach a bind plug(not that i've ever seen one as this is my first rc plane!)i'll give your ideas a go tomorrow and i'll let you know how i get on...
The Bind plug usually goes on the Charge plug on the Rx...it will be the unmarked channel slot on your Rx .......as they may supply you with a external UBEC with your ESC...this will plug into channel 6 to supply power to the Rx usually the other lead from the esc then goes to your throttle channel....then put the bind plug on the last slot with no number on...just a pointer. Connect the ESC to the battery to power up . The unit should flash...... you then hold down your Tx button and turn the Tx on until the flashing stops on the Rx.

Then power off the Tx and disconnect the battery and Remove the bind plug.

That is usually the process....to bind the Rx to the Tx......and the next time you connect up the Rx should show a constant light if it has one. If it flashes....remove battery and turn radio off and re connect again.

After the connection the ESC should make a sound and then beep twice and stop after 10 seconds or so and everything should work for you hopefully!

HJ
Last edited by Hondajet; Jan 30, 2011 at 06:57 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 04:22 PM
Joined Jan 2011
195 Posts
it turned out that the servo plugs were around the wrong way,called the guy i bought it off over the internet and he was good enough to offer some advice rather than just selling the product and turning away as i imagine a lot of others would. she's bound to the tx now and i reckon the cg is about right, now for the big test....
Old Jan 30, 2011, 07:16 PM
Joined Jan 2011
195 Posts
awesome,awesome,awesome,awesome,awesome......had a ball,was more nervous than my first solo in a real pitts special! lost count after the first 12 landings and they were all sweet except for just one small bounce.the battery lasted a lot longer than i expected and about 5 of the landings i made i throttled right back to nothing to simulate if the battery ran out of juice and they were a piece of cake. this thing is a gem and i am offiicially addicted to foam/electric rc planes. can't wait to start trying some funky manouvres...
Old Jan 31, 2011, 02:22 AM
" Plain Crazy! "
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Oct 2008
2,219 Posts
Quote:
awesome,awesome,awesome,awesome,awesome......had a ball,was more nervous than my first solo in a real pitts special! lost count after the first 12 landings and they were all sweet except for just one small bounce.the battery lasted a lot longer than i expected and about 5 of the landings i made i throttled right back to nothing to simulate if the battery ran out of juice and they were a piece of cake. this thing is a gem and i am offiicially addicted to foam/electric rc planes. can't wait to start trying some funky manouvres...
Congrats JB!

And we have another "Converted Worshiper" of this Fantastic Flying Machine!

If you are into scale handling and flying with handling ease....J-3 All the Way ....Yay!!

Yes you will be impressed with the performance with 4S on board as I described earlier. I would not chuck it around too much though...as it would do its gracefulness a dis service.

I just think it would be fun to learn some of these maneuvers with RC scale.... as the J-3 performs at some airshows in the USA!

Piper Cub Stunt Pilot - Charlie Kulp (2 min 7 sec)

Enjoy!

HJ
Last edited by Hondajet; Jan 31, 2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 04:55 PM
Joined Jan 2011
195 Posts
cheers honda, i've flown a real cub and plenty of aerobatics in various other aircraft, and let me tell you that man has talent!anyhow..
flew again this morning, a few loops and rolls and more landings. batt did not last anywhere near as long as my increased confidence meant more throttle usage!.i have a couple of questions on batteries.
1. what level should i discharge the battery to before recharging, at the moment i just run it till the prop wont turn but the controls all still work, then put it on charge once it has cooled down
2. what is a good charger that i can plug into the mains here in australia rather than using the stock one that requires you to hook it up to the car batt(preferably one that i can use with other different size li-po's
3. what other battery options do i have for the cub that will either increase endurance, give more power or both if possible, and is it possible to get a better battery that does not need mods to the battery location on the cub

thanks for your input guys, and by the way sworrds, try using some thin wire for the hydraulic lines, should be light and will stay in whatever shape you bend it to
Last edited by jb0005; Jan 31, 2011 at 04:59 PM. Reason: more info