SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 02, 2011, 03:09 PM
Joined Apr 2009
1,587 Posts
Cheers ren ,everyday a school day. With the V RX antenna removed what sort of range should be exspected from video? Im guesing this a question a bit like how long is a piece of string lols. Im running 1160ghz on 500mw lawmate with diversity, 3dbi and 8dbi patch.
I always do a range check with my rc link and know pretty much what my exspected range will be afterwoods but I have just taken off after recorded los video ,landed checked and then flown if no video dropouts but it would be good to know better ways.
Cheers for help regards Liam.
L14m is offline Find More Posts by L14m
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2011, 09:30 PM
O <- this a ground loop
Japan
Joined Nov 2010
514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by L14m View Post
Cheers ren ,everyday a school day. With the V RX antenna removed what sort of range should be exspected from video? Im guesing this a question a bit like how long is a piece of string lols. Im running 1160ghz on 500mw lawmate with diversity, 3dbi and 8dbi patch.
I always do a range check with my rc link and know pretty much what my exspected range will be afterwoods but I have just taken off after recorded los video ,landed checked and then flown if no video dropouts but it would be good to know better ways.
Cheers for help regards Liam.
You're most welcome Liam,

and tell you what mate, I'll PM you my postal address and range test your VTX for you

Your predicted range on 1.16Ghz with 500mW (27dBm) and a total of 11dBi of antenna gain - don't know your RX sensitivity but lets say its at least -85dbm - is...

about 2.3km

with your patch removed

about 900m

but that's in outer space and with some RF hitting the front end of your VRX so I doubt you'll actually get that on your no antenna VRX check

you might want to make a BNC or SMA connector with a stub antenna of 5mm or so - just enough to pick up some RF without being anywhere tuned to your wavelength of interest

hope that helps,

Ren
devfor is offline Find More Posts by devfor
Old Jan 03, 2011, 09:47 PM
O <- this a ground loop
Japan
Joined Nov 2010
514 Posts
Getting back onto things to check about your Virgin FPV Flying site.

You might want to google the area for reports of animal attacks.
Cougars, bears, wild boar, you name it - yes it depends on your local.

With the mention earlier about being attacked by 'humans' and in order to avoid that you might opt to go a but further into the bush/outback/middle of nowhere, which in turn brings you closer to wild animals in their natural habitat.

Add to that, a lot of FPVers like to push it until dusk.

Dusk and dawn is when animals whether nocturnal or otherwise are busiest and you may have found yourself in one of their haunts.

Pick up a book on animal track and sign. Learn to look for tracks, clawings, scat.
I think we all do FPV to a certain extent because we love the special view we get of this great planet we call Earth. Becoming aware of where we are on a greater level can only bring more pleasure to us in our pursuits of escaping it all.

And guys, I sometimes read how people had a run in with birds in flight.
Planes coming back with blood on the prop.
Its hardly responsible, let alone pleasant.
If you suspect a bird is wanting to have a go at your plane, cut the throttle and manoeuvre, its the humane thing to do.

cheers,

Ren
devfor is offline Find More Posts by devfor