HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 27, 2011, 01:00 PM
Praying for better weather
Joined Dec 2007
4,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
RIPOFF!!! For two peices of metal less than 3" square $120!!!

And I can assure you that it's not even really circularly polarized but elliptical.

Coyote64 was kind enough to open up one of his and shoew it to me. I'll post a how-to on it soon enough. It would be really easy to build

-Alex
Any progress with the elliptical Alex ? Now ive swapped to 5.8ghz im wanting to knock my own up ?
Coyote64 is online now Find More Posts by Coyote64
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2011, 01:04 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote64 View Post
Any progress with the elliptical Alex ? Now ive swapped to 5.8ghz im wanting to knock my own up ?
Some, but I'm working on some better units I have found something with better circularity than the commercial units. K5OE ahs done extensive research on patch antennas as dish feeds, so I am basing mine off of his research. This is the "secret" antenna that is going to be unveiled at the southeastern fly-in on Saturday.

I am also working on a dual feed patch. I hope the dual feed will be even better.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Apr 27, 2011, 01:15 PM
Praying for better weather
Joined Dec 2007
4,180 Posts
Awesome

Im just finshing off my bi-quad now. Not an easy build on 5.8ghz, everythings so small and close together, like the transformer and feed wire.
Coyote64 is online now Find More Posts by Coyote64
Old Oct 06, 2011, 08:35 AM
United Kingdom, Southend-on-Sea
Joined Feb 2011
307 Posts
Quote:
Some, but I'm working on some better units I have found something with better circularity than the commercial units. K5OE ahs done extensive research on patch antennas as dish feeds, so I am basing mine off of his research. This is the "secret" antenna that is going to be unveiled at the southeastern fly-in on Saturday.

I am also working on a dual feed patch. I hope the dual feed will be even better.

-Alex
Can I ask what was the solution in the end for a circular polarised patch? Did you come up with something. I am hunting for one now and dont want to get ripped off for something that isnt going to give me the best result
papa_lazerous is offline Find More Posts by papa_lazerous
Old Oct 06, 2011, 08:52 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,542 Posts
Right now the only thing available for CP with directionality is the helical. They are sold by TrueRC and Video Aerial Systems and are less expensive than the patch in this thread.

-Alex
Old Oct 06, 2011, 12:55 PM
United Kingdom, Southend-on-Sea
Joined Feb 2011
307 Posts
Quote:
Right now the only thing available for CP with directionality is the helical. They are sold by TrueRC and Video Aerial Systems and are less expensive than the patch in this thread.

-Alex
Thanks for the reply Alex its appreciated, I was over on videoarielsystems earlier (thats your company isnt it?) And no matter how much I have read and seen there always seems to be something that contradicts it somewhere which made me hesitant to purchase the helical previously.

I am looking to run my 5.8Ghz setup with a cloverleaf on the Tx then a skew planar wheel on one of my Rx and on the other Rx I will now have the helical. (obviously with 2 recievers I am a diversity setup and want the skew planar for close up coverage) and the helical for pushing it

If that sounds like its on the right tracks I will drop some cash and get the ball rolling (man this hobby is too addictive)

Regards
John
papa_lazerous is offline Find More Posts by papa_lazerous
Old Oct 07, 2011, 08:56 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,542 Posts
At 5.8GHz I only carry the 12.5dbic right now. Hugo (trueRC) carries a range of different gains. While Hugo and I are technically competitors, we work together in our ventures. It helps us bring only the best to the FPV community.

You may soon see a new antenna called the "crosshair" coming out soon. Hugo and I have got the design down for 900-2400MHz. I'm working on a 5.8Ghz version.

-Alex
Old Oct 15, 2011, 05:46 PM
Simon
United Kingdom, Dorset
Joined Sep 2011
17 Posts
Quote:
.....You may soon see a new antenna called the "crosshair" coming out soon. Hugo and I have got the design down for 900-2400MHz. I'm working on a 5.8Ghz version.

-Alex
I'm looking forward to seeing more info on the "5.8ghz crosshair" do you have any timescales?

Cheers,
Asomaro is offline Find More Posts by Asomaro