Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 23, 2010, 09:20 AM
SW Fla.
Joined Dec 2010
34 Posts
Discussion
New to RC with Propel Gyrocopter

Not sure if this is the right forum but lets try. I purchased a Propel W6625 helo from BJ's to play with, have been looking at small ones for a while and dropped $39.95 for it. They even offer a 2 year replacement policy for $6.95!
Its 3.5 channel and after a little practice I am hooked...LOL
Since I am new to this, I do have a few questions
I guess that this helo is similar or a clone of others..any ideas. I read that the battery should be cool before charging and then kept charged? How long do these batteries last..not running time but total life?
Thanks in advance and I am sure I will have more questions.
Tom
Nimble1 is offline Find More Posts by Nimble1
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2010, 09:32 AM
2011 - Year of the clones!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
LiPo batteries are temperamental little suckers.

Some tips:
  • Always allow a 5-10 minute cool down period after charging.
  • Always allow a 5-10 minute cool down period after use/flying and before charging.
  • Do not run the battery all the way down! This is crucial to its survival. Many people accomplish this by timing their flights and not exceeding the 5 minute mark.
  • When not in use, store the battery at approximately 75% charge. Just charge it for 10 minutes or so.

The ones I have don't seem to last very long. Some die completely and some show obvious signs of performance degradation. I'd say a few months is a reasonable life expectancy given constant daily use. Others will swear that their LiPo's last for years but I haven't been so fortunate.
Frank_fjs is offline Find More Posts by Frank_fjs
Old Dec 23, 2010, 09:32 AM
USA, TX, Diboll
Joined Aug 2007
224 Posts
Hi Tom,
I am still fairly new to electrics myself so probably not the one to give you the best answer. That being said there is a wealth of information in this forum under electrics section. Spend a little time looking through the Beginner training areas for electrics and such and you will learn a lot here. I tend to start in one area and end up on a total different subject but its all good because i'm just soaking up info
If you purchased your Gyro online or have a link to goto and see it, i'd be interested. I havent found it by searching so far.
Chestum is offline Find More Posts by Chestum
Old Dec 23, 2010, 09:39 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,703 Posts
Hi Tom,

Total life for a lipo is the same as asking "How long is a piece of string?"
It depends on so many factors.
How often do you fly?
Do you limit your flight times?
This list goes on and on, have a look in other forums and you will see a continual dialogue on lipos.

You are better leaving the battery to cool down after a flight before charging up.
You are better leaving it 5 mins or so before flying after charging.
Never fly till the battery is dead, your lipo is now dead also.
Fly short flight and land for a minute or so before taking off for another short flight.

These are all ideas that people have posted about lipos.
I am sure you have your own ideas as you say you have been reading about this subject. I fly my helis till I notice they are just beginning to lose power then I land and let them cool off. This has worked fine for me, I think common sense is a good guide.

I hope some of my ramblings have helped and no doubt will have raised more questions as well

cheers Scotsoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimble1 View Post
Not sure if this is the right forum but lets try. I purchased a Propel W6625 helo from BJ's to play with, have been looking at small ones for a while and dropped $39.95 for it. They even offer a 2 year replacement policy for $6.95!
Its 3.5 channel and after a little practice I am hooked...LOL
Since I am new to this, I do have a few questions
I guess that this helo is similar or a clone of others..any ideas. I read that the battery should be cool before charging and then kept charged? How long do these batteries last..not running time but total life?
Thanks in advance and I am sure I will have more questions.
Tom
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Dec 23, 2010, 09:43 AM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
Here is a link to Propel's Gyrocopter:

http://www.propelrctoys.net/toystore...3dcadc54f4d26c

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chestum View Post
Hi Tom,
I am still fairly new to electrics myself so probably not the one to give you the best answer. That being said there is a wealth of information in this forum under electrics section. Spend a little time looking through the Beginner training areas for electrics and such and you will learn a lot here. I tend to start in one area and end up on a total different subject but its all good because i'm just soaking up info
If you purchased your Gyro online or have a link to goto and see it, i'd be interested. I havent found it by searching so far.
edwong3 is offline Find More Posts by edwong3
Old Dec 23, 2010, 09:43 AM
Resident Skeptican
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
To answer your question, Lipos can take as little as 100 cycles to as many as 400 or more cycles.

It really does depend on how you treat them. They show wear by losing storage capacity. I've had batteries with over 400 cycles that still have over 85% capacity. How you charge and discharge them is the major factor in how many cycles they'll take and what percentage of their total capacity they'll have hundreds of charges down the road.

If you want your battery to be usable for the most number of cycles never fly it so that more than 80% of the capacity is drained. You'll also want to charge it at 1c. Take the mah rating and divide by 1000. That gives your 1c charge rate. So for a 150mah battery charge it at .15 amps. Anything over that 1c rate and you're reducing the lifetime of the battery.
Barak1001 is offline Find More Posts by Barak1001
Old Dec 23, 2010, 09:56 AM
Chino Hills, CA
Joined Dec 2006
453 Posts
I have a syma s001 that is about 18 months old on the original lipo and still flies like new. I estimate it probably has had 200+ flights. I keep most of my flights under 2 minutes, with an occasional 3 minute flight, and I wait between 3 to 10 minutes before recharging depending on how long the flight was.

The most important thing is to never run it to the point where you can feel it losing power. If you do feel it losing power, land immediately and wait 10 minutes before recharging. Its important to land immediately because the power very quickly drops off once it starts to go down. If it drops a lot, the lipo will forever be weakened. I have done this many times with other helis and found that the heli will no longer fly for more than about 1 minute or less before it can't climb anymore.

Another benefit of keeping your flights under 2 minutes is that it will prolong the life of your motors because they won't get too hot and burn out.
overedline is offline Find More Posts by overedline
Last edited by overedline; Dec 23, 2010 at 10:02 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 10:01 AM
SW Fla.
Joined Dec 2010
34 Posts
Wow!!

Thanks everyone for the quick replies!
It appears that BJ's is going to loose money on their $6.95 replacement policy...LOL Actually, I hope I don't have to use it.
Some good tips on the lipo battery use and charging. It charges from the controller and seems to be working well sofar. I have been letting it cool down since the beginning.
I am sure I will be wanting to upgrade before too long.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 10:22 AM
USA, TX, Diboll
Joined Aug 2007
224 Posts
thanks ED
Chestum is offline Find More Posts by Chestum
Old Dec 23, 2010, 04:25 PM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chestum View Post
thanks ED
Not a problem, not a problem!

Ed
edwong3 is offline Find More Posts by edwong3
Last edited by edwong3; Dec 26, 2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 12:08 PM
SW Fla.
Joined Dec 2010
34 Posts
Well. been flying for 3 days and still loads of fun...already looking for another brand to try. Been looking hard at the Hellfire..how would it compare?
Old Dec 26, 2010, 01:35 PM
Resident Skeptican
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
You've got $47 in it. If you keep buying multiple $20 to $50 3 channel helicopters trying to find one with with good flight characteristics, it seems to me like it would make more sense to spend a little more and get a 4 channel Solo Pro.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 02:10 PM
SW Fla.
Joined Dec 2010
34 Posts
Ok

Tell me more about the 4 channel Solo Pro...is it a coaxial?
Old Dec 26, 2010, 02:16 PM
Resident Skeptican
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
The Solo pro is a single rotor, the Solo is a coaxial. Either model is only about $10 more than you paid for the 3 channel that you currently have.

Edit:

Correction, $20 more than what you've already paid.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 02:56 PM
SW Fla.
Joined Dec 2010
34 Posts
Thanks..

Like a nooobie, I should have done a little searching first.
I see that Helipal sells it for $99 in the case with extra batteries,charger,etc. Is that a good price and are they a reputable dealer?
If you don't want to discuss it here, let me know.
Tom