HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 22, 2010, 10:47 PM
United States, UT, Layton
Joined Oct 2009
530 Posts
New Product
Change Sun 120mm and new 10 blade 70mm fans

Does anybody have any info or #'s on these? I just ordered two of the 70mm fans from x-flight to try out.http://www.x-flight.com.hk/index.php?p=6&id=121&lang=enhttp://www.x-flight.com.hk/index.php...&more=&lang=en
Flip Flop is offline Find More Posts by Flip Flop
Last edited by Flip Flop; Jun 27, 2011 at 07:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2010, 10:54 AM
Gilbert, AZ
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2007
3,564 Posts
Hmmm.. 4 blades on that 120mm unit. I'd like to see some testing!!
chalmrast is offline Find More Posts by chalmrast
Old Dec 23, 2010, 11:00 AM
High Dynamic Thrust
United States, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Feb 2007
2,304 Posts
like to see some real watts put though that!! a 4 blade will show its true output on the high end
stoneenforcer is offline Find More Posts by stoneenforcer
Old Dec 23, 2010, 09:29 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
are these the same ones they sell at Hobby King?
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Dec 23, 2010, 09:33 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
41 Posts

they look alike but do they have the same quality?
not very sure about that.
ultraflite is offline Find More Posts by ultraflite
Old Dec 23, 2010, 09:39 PM
Joined Oct 2009
530 Posts
From this picture it looks like the rotor might even be balanced, not bad for $17.00.
Old Jan 08, 2011, 08:12 PM
Sweden
Joined May 2006
599 Posts
Ive got mine, 70mm a couple days ago, Will do some testing...
marell01 is online now Find More Posts by marell01
Old Jan 09, 2011, 08:55 AM
United States, VA, Suffolk
Joined Nov 2007
1,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraflite View Post

they look alike but do they have the same quality?
not very sure about that.
I would hope they are higher quality. The 90mm that I got from Hobby King is junk. There are holes in the edges of the blade and this of course causes severe balance issues.
jhaywood is offline Find More Posts by jhaywood
Old Jan 09, 2011, 10:55 AM
AKA Terry Till
Alexandria, VA
Joined Apr 2002
1,530 Posts
Guys,
I ordered a couple and got them a few days ago. I have already run one of them up and here's what I can say:
The Change Sun 70mm fan is made from a fiberglass reinforced polyphenaline sulfide plastic, just like the E-Flite Delta V 69. The rotor is very rigid. The housing and bell mouth adapter are made of the same material. Also, the 4 bladed rotor has a significant amount of twist in the blades. Compared to an Eflite 69mm rotor and RC Lander rotor, which I had laying around, the angle of attack at the tip of the Change Sun rotor is less, so it won't draw as many amps as a mini-fan, RC Lander fan, E-flite, etc.
The fan units arrived without defects and the moldings were very well done. The motor tube is about 28.5mm ID. 29mm motors will not fit without sanding the inside. The motor tube is some what thin so sticking a Neu in there won't leave much in the way of wall thickness. However the housing has the same OD as a HET 6904. It's a drop-in replacement for a HET. There were no ridges between mold parts. Also the rotor is held on by a collet design. The fan unit comes with a 4mm and a 3mm shaft adapter. Yes, 3mm. They need to get that fixed to 3.17mm ASAP. Also, the rotor does come "balanced", but initial run ups produced some vibration. I elected to refine the balance. It took quite a while, but I now have a unit with ZERO vibration. Also the collet assembly was slipping relative to the rotor. A little washer of sandpaper fixed that.
I ran the motor up using 6S 2200 partially charged to 3.8 volts per cell (was checking the balance). The motor was a Mega 16/25/2E (kv=2300) Full throttle produced 31 amps on a partially charged pack using the supplied bellmouth. As I was holding the unit in my hand, I was more concerned about not letting go of it. Also, FWIW, before I used the sandpaper washer, the rotor was "chattering" from slipping, which loosened the nut and sent the rotor flying. Luckily I was in my workshop and nothing got damaged. Not even the rotor. So, I was more concerned with everything staying together than recording watts. I'll do that later and post in my 6S 2200 thread.

Terry
ex-racr is offline Find More Posts by ex-racr
Last edited by ex-racr; Jan 09, 2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 01:29 PM
AKA Terry Till
Alexandria, VA
Joined Apr 2002
1,530 Posts
Ran up the fan. Results are here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post17062352
The rotor has less load than a mini-fan, RC Lander, HET, etc. When selecting motors either bump up the kv a little or expect slightly less watts. It suits my needs just fine and will be putting it in a HET F-86

Terry
Old Jan 22, 2011, 03:02 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Stellenbosch, South Africa
Joined Apr 2004
2,059 Posts
Hmmm... A 4 blade rotor in a 4 vane stator. That might make it slightly less efficient.
MegaTesla is offline Find More Posts by MegaTesla
Old Jan 22, 2011, 03:52 PM
AKA Terry Till
Alexandria, VA
Joined Apr 2002
1,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaTesla View Post
Hmmm... A 4 blade rotor in a 4 vane stator. That might make it slightly less efficient.
Actually, it's not the number of stators vs. the number of rotor blades that relate to efficiency. It's whether the stators recover all the swirl imparted from the rotor.
Having a matching number of stators and rotor blades does relate to the sound (harmonics) the fan makes. Perhaps tomorrow I can take a little video of the fan installed in my HET F-86 and you can hear it. Need to make a thrust tube first.

Terry
Old Feb 04, 2011, 03:19 PM
Joined Oct 2009
530 Posts
I just ordered one of these combos for a falcon 120, not bad for $220. 7kg of thrust at 118amps without a lip is worth a shot, hopefully it will fit into one of Rodgers nacelle's.http://www.x-flight.com.hk/index.php...4&new=&lang=en
Old Feb 04, 2011, 09:17 PM
Joined Mar 2008
1,129 Posts
Not bad at all
sheppard559 is offline Find More Posts by sheppard559
Old Feb 11, 2011, 08:38 AM
Why kamikaze pilot wear helmet
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Jul 2010
1,096 Posts
Has anyone eles tired the 70mm fan yet? What ya think?
mikes68charger is offline Find More Posts by mikes68charger