SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by turboparker, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 10:25 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,432 Posts
Gallery
UMX Beast in the snow: vertical performance, aerobatics, power-line hit, etc.

Here's my second video of the UMX Beast. Temp was +16 F, and there was no wind. The Beast is stock, except for the Hyperion 180 mAh cells. I haven't built my new Hyperion 180 & 240 packs using bare cells and the factory JST 'PH' connector, so I'm just using the shrink-wrapped Hyp 180 'UM' cells and Eflite's series harness. The Hyp cells + harness only weigh 0.13g more than the Eflite 180 pack, so I'm sure my homebrew bare-cell packs w/stock connector will be considerably lighter than the Elfite 180.

I'm flying from the road next to my north yard. I managed to hit a power-line about 2:24 into the clip. Knocked one of the wheel spats off, but that was all. The power-line was the same one that ate two of my Sukhoi XPs.

As you can see, vertical is essentially unlimited - even 3-4 minutes into the flight. After 5+ minutes of aggressive flying in cold wx, there was still enough power for extended verticals. The flight used 90 mAh, or 50% of the charge.

UMX BEAST in the snow: vertical performance, powerline hit, aerobatics, takeoffs & landings (5 min 49 sec)
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2010, 04:02 PM
Beach Pilot
Boston
Joined Jan 2006
419 Posts
How well does it handle wind so far?
Sparkorama is offline Find More Posts by Sparkorama
Old Dec 27, 2010, 04:50 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkorama View Post
How well does it handle wind so far?
Very well. Even better than the Sukhoi XP, which was the best UM plane for windy conditions prior to the UMX Beast. The flight I posted in this thread was with essentially zero wind. Check out my maiden flight video for an example of how the Beast handles the wind. It was 10-17 MPH during the short flight.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2010, 02:47 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,212 Posts
Impressive... the power is there! Best battery for Beast.
MikeRx is offline Find More Posts by MikeRx
Old Dec 29, 2010, 03:44 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,432 Posts
Thanks.

I have since flown with my Hyp 240 pack. I noticed a very slight reduction in vertical performance (still unlimited, albeit slightly slower), but that was it. Slow-flight seemed to be unaffected by the additional weight, and I was able to establish a neutral CG. So, it looks like the 2s Hyp 240 will also be a good choice.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2011, 07:23 AM
improving all the time
Venray - the Netherlands
Joined Jan 2009
15 Posts
UM Connector

Hi Joel,

great fltying.
i bought some Hyperion 180 2s cells but i really don't know where to get the required UM connectors. Hyperion has them on the 1 cell, but not on the 2c version.
Allez-dan is offline Find More Posts by Allez-dan
Old Jan 13, 2011, 12:30 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,432 Posts
Allez-dan,

Thanks!

The Beast uses the JST 'PH' connector.

My Beast pack building thread has links to everything you'll need to build your own lightweight Hyperion 2s packs from bare cells. The alternative is to buy the Hyperion 180 'UM' cells, and get the series Y-harness from Glenn @ RC-Connections. The links are also in my pack building thread.

Hyperion's 2s 180 packs lack the balance tap, but you could still use the stock JST 'PH' connector - you would just use the outer pins. The stock charger won't charge without the balance tap, so you'll either have to use an aftermarket charger or dissect the packs to add the balance tap. Glenn also has the JST 'PH' jacks & plugs - along with charge adapters for aftermarket balance chargers.

EDIT: Glenn now has a JST to Beast adapter that fits the Hyperion 2s packs that have the JST two-pin connector: http://www.rc-connectors.com/index.p...roducts_id=256

Hope that helps!

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Mar 18, 2012 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Added info
Old Jan 16, 2011, 07:39 PM
Extreme Flight Minion
United States, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Nov 2010
556 Posts
Isn't it unsafe not to have a balance wire on the hyperion 2s packs? Or are they such high quality that they don't need balanced? I'm just curious what your experience has been. I'd like to take advantage of their 5c charge rate but am worried about not using a balance charger. Any tips/ideas? ~Thanks
Sam
SpartanExec is offline Find More Posts by SpartanExec
Old Jan 16, 2011, 07:59 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,432 Posts
Sam,

Hyperion sells their smaller 2s packs without balance taps. I assume that they wouldn't do so if the didn't think it was safe. That said - I use balance taps on all of my multi-cell packs - regardless of size. Some may say that I'm being overcautious; but I just won't risk it when charging @ 5c in the house.

If you have basic soldering skills, you are better off making your own packs, as you can make them significantly lighter than Hyperion's shrink-wrapped packs.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2011, 12:54 AM
Extreme Flight Minion
United States, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Nov 2010
556 Posts
Thank you for the valuable information! I think I will go ahead and just make my own packs....that way I can add the balance wire and feel safer when charging. my umx beast will be a spoiled brat soon enough!
SpartanExec is offline Find More Posts by SpartanExec