Old Dec 22, 2010, 12:14 PM
www.silentflyers.com
Cincinnati, OH
Joined Jun 2004
785 Posts
Question
Kyosho Phantom Reno Racer Motor Selection

Does anybody have this plane?

I am trying to select an electric power system for this plane and am not sure what to do. I am not a pylon racer and do not plan to compete with this plane but I want it to be flown the way it is supposed to be flown - fast. It doesn't have to be supper fast but I don't want it set up for Aerobatics or 3D.

About the only thing I know about pylon racer setups is that the prop. pitch to diameter ratio is usually around one. Beyond that, I don't know how to go about choosing a motor for this bird.

This plane is expected to be a 6 pound bird but I don't know what watts/pound number is appropriate for pylon racers - or if it even applies.

And then, I don't know what KV rating to look for.

Any advice on motor/esc/prop selection for this motor would be greatly appreciated.

Cincy E-Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Cincy E-Flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2011, 07:14 PM
Nice
Joined Nov 2008
284 Posts
just get
but interested about two storke or four stroke engines ?
Helicoy is offline Find More Posts by Helicoy
Old Mar 06, 2011, 03:57 AM
The Sarawak KoloMee
Singapore
Joined Jan 2008
263 Posts
I got my ez su31 45size glow convert to ep apc13x12 if not 13x10 scorpion s4025 cc80 cc bec 6s 5200mah 4minutes wot most of the time,tell you not bad speed it screw my buddy's glow racer big time! But will not as fast as my sonic v with jett56lx.

Yiming
SniperWj is offline Find More Posts by SniperWj
Old Mar 09, 2011, 01:54 PM
Nice
Joined Nov 2008
284 Posts
A good OS 72 4 stroke could be nice for time flying and song .
I know that top speed will not the best but i have other plane for that.
The CG of the notice is good ?
Helicoy is offline Find More Posts by Helicoy
Old Aug 12, 2011, 10:02 AM
Aussie Aeromodeller
Australia, NSW, Chittaway Bay
Joined Feb 2005
129 Posts
I am hopefully testflying mine tomorrow with a thunder tiger 50 heli engine bolted in the nose.
Nitro2Burn is offline Find More Posts by Nitro2Burn
Old Aug 12, 2011, 01:43 PM
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Jan 2006
1,364 Posts
Love that fast lookin Bipe!

If I remember correctly and someone please correct me if I am wrong...(broad guideline)
100watts per pound trainer
150watts per pound aerobatic
200+watts per pound 3D and speed.

(These numbers vary according to the individual. I always lean towards the high side...being a speed freak an all!)

What kv you want depends or whether you want to go fast from level flight or go fast straight up. Low kv, low amps, high torque. High kv higher amps, higher RPMs, higher flatline speed. I would look for a balance with that plane.

Run a Search on this site with that plane name for guys who have it and see what setups they are running and how they like those setups. We all like different setups for different reasons. See if you can find one that matches what you want.

Me I'm a speed freak so I would stuff the most watts I could into that thing and tear up the sky.

First though I would look the build over really good for weak areas and YES ALL ARF's have them. Usually the firewall is weak and what holds the wing and tail together (always need re-enforcing).

I would be looking at those nice Scorpion motors!

I have always wanted one of those things (am envious)...some day gonna pull the trigger and get one!

Keep your build going would like to see how it goes

I found a thread on one...http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...tom+reno+racer
arcticflyer is online now Find More Posts by arcticflyer
Last edited by arcticflyer; Aug 12, 2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 03:35 PM
Suspended Account
Auckland - New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
1,554 Posts
you can put the same power my m8 got in his kelly Scorpion HK-4035-500 kv 8s 4000mAh lipos (2 x 4s in series)lipos Hyperion 90amp HV esc
is the one you have the nitro version or the Electric version They are a little different
Adrian_M is offline Find More Posts by Adrian_M
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)