SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by JussiH, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 04:44 PM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,301 Posts
Stackable boards would be nice. But they'd make it less flexible for a start on different boards. Also I'd divide the boards into classes for their purpose:

- "FlightController" (everything from Arduino Pro Mini up to Arduino Mega 2560, in other words from ATMega 328 - 2560)
- Then there's the "StabilityPack" consisting of gyros and accels to make a flyable combo together with the ATM
- There's also the "PositionHold" consisting of baro, magneto and GPS
- And last not least the "AutonomyXtra" with Telemetry, Waypoint Navi and programmable flight patterns consisting of sonar, IR sensors and such

Sensor boards connected by wires would have a wider installation base right now since there are already many Arduinists out there waiting for a hassle free solution. And I guess there will come many more as soon this group has something to offer.

Imho we should start with what we already have: a working FC & SP
And I think we could have both on a 5x5 board: headers for stacks and pins for wires.

That way we could get forward step by step and change the FC and add PH and AX later.

This way anyone could
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrejk View Post
Let's brainstorm a bit... I wonder if there's a compact modular way to build an IMU. Sensors are evolving quickly and it seems like everyone wants a different combination of gyro, accel, baro, gps, etc, etc.

Some sort of stackable socket would be ideal. Since I2C is a bus, the pins could just be connected together in most cases.

Something like:
Code:

Baro  -->                   |---------| 
Gyro  -->                   |---------|
Accel -->                   |---------|
APM   -->      -------------|---------|---------- 
Plain old .1" headers like the Arduino family use are probably too bulky, but a compact SMT connector could be very dense and stack very thin. Then the whole stack could be secured with standoffs/screws.

Or instead of stacking you could put 3 or 4 of these sockets on a board. This has been done with .1" headers and right-angle sensors but that makes for a bulky configuration. Doing something flat would make this very compact.

I'm just thinking out loud here. Has this already been done? Any thoughts?
kinderkram is offline Find More Posts by kinderkram
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2010, 04:57 PM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendrichie View Post
Here is a picture of the I2C bus connection on this DFRobot.com Nano shield I purchased. It can handle five I2C devices.
Nice, Richie but all in all you end up with 50 bucks, right? Then I'd rather go for a Seeeduino Mega or another 1280 clone:

http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/see...?cPath=132_133
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2010, 05:46 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinderkram View Post
Nice, Richie but all in all you end up with 50 bucks, right? Then I'd rather go for a Seeeduino Mega or another 1280 clone:

http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/see...?cPath=132_133
In my opinion, this is the most important factor and main reason I considered the Mega.

Quote:
(It has 70 digital input/output pins (of which 14 can be used as PWM outputs), 16 analog inputs
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Dec 26, 2010, 07:02 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgros View Post
Richie, tell us if my Mega porting works fine.
Thank you, working fantastically in the GUI! Will update you when I do a flight test.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 07:12 PM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendrichie View Post
Thank you, working fantastically in the GUI! Will update you when I do a flight test.
In the meantime, Reverend ... why not organize a collective order?

- buy american, buy 10
- offer them for 40$ shipped in the US (same price as a arduinopromini+ftdi/usb+shipping)
- keep one for yourself and enter the MegaSeee

http://www.nkcelectronics.com/seeedu...assembled.html

You know ... Pirates love the seee!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2010, 07:20 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,704 Posts
Good Idea!
Old Dec 26, 2010, 07:53 PM
Joined Jun 2006
1,899 Posts
very good idea
titeuf007 is offline Find More Posts by titeuf007
Old Dec 26, 2010, 08:29 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,704 Posts
With the mega, this eliminate the need for the PPM converter and also open the door for Octals. Hmmm.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 12:23 AM
USA, AK, Soldotna
Joined Jan 2005
562 Posts
Great ideas flowing around here, I like where this could end up. I have one Tri flying on just a WM+ right now, parts on the way for an indoor one, so I think it's safe to say that I'm hooked.

I work for an oilfield services company as an Electronics Tech, and have access to several different soldering tools and test equipment including a micro scope at work and a decent amount of tools at home. When the time comes, I would be more then happy to volunteer some time to solder up some of these prototypes. Or to just help out in anyway possible.

Personally, I would like to see the 'stackable' idea. Some people want everything up to and including GPS and others just want a simple and ultra stable AND low priced controller. I think Alex nailed it on the head for the low cost, stable and about as straight forward as it gets.

Anyway, looking forward to where this goes...
pinball is offline Find More Posts by pinball
Old Dec 27, 2010, 01:17 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2005
1,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexinparis View Post
Thats sounds interesting !
I would be very interested in testing such a breakout board.
I don't know what will reply Invensence, but if the cost of a final breakout could be around $25-$30, I think we could have a replacement for Wii parts at the same price and with probably the most important argument: 100% predictable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinderkram View Post
Starting with something simple (I2C connections and stackable 5x5 sensorboards) to get a flyable combo could be the kickoff for something, most Arduino/ATMega based boards can benefit from.

An all-in-one ATMega1280 with gyros & accels, nearly plug&fly and extensable through additional sensor boards would be a hammer!

Maybe I'm just dreaming... But if someone manages to design such a board and keep the end user price below 100$ I promise they'll be ripped off his hands!

Another board with baro, magneto and GPS for another 100$ would be heaven...
Guys this is getting very exciting!

I would be happy to send in my 100$ to help development!!
As long as i get a reliable controller of course!!

As Alex says if you can come up with a 100$ board with all in one sensors with self leveling feature that can support Multi configurations you would surely have your arms ripped off!

Who ever is going to get this out first..PUT MY NAME ON THE LIST!!

Watching with great interest

Cheers
Ben
wazzer is offline Find More Posts by wazzer
Old Dec 27, 2010, 01:23 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2005
1,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball View Post
Great ideas flowing around here, I like where this could end up. I have one Tri flying on just a WM+ right now, parts on the way for an indoor one, so I think it's safe to say that I'm hooked.

Personally, I would like to see the 'stackable' idea. Some people want everything up to and including GPS and others just want a simple and ultra stable AND low priced controller. I think Alex nailed it on the head for the low cost, stable and about as straight forward as it gets.

Anyway, looking forward to where this goes...
Totally agree

Stackable system for super simple or optionend out to the max with GPS barromters and RTH?? etc etc
wazzer is offline Find More Posts by wazzer
Old Dec 27, 2010, 09:41 AM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,301 Posts
Save time & money

I opened a new thread for collective orders here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post16928261

Questions & Suggestions welcome!

Norbert
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2010, 04:49 PM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,080 Posts
I can't wait to see how this develops. I'm all in for any solution that gets everything consolidated to make it easier.
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Old Dec 27, 2010, 06:28 PM
Aveiro, Portugal
Joined Dec 2010
232 Posts
Nice work guys!
Just to say that if someone is interested in making a group buy for some/all of the gyroscopes/accelerometers sensors let me know because the shipping to Europe from Invense is huge..
And if you need some help with the board layouts let me know
senso is offline Find More Posts by senso
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:24 PM
Dia
Quadrocopter Newbie
Joined Sep 2010
58 Posts
You guys are great!
Dia is offline Find More Posts by Dia