HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by JussiH, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 02, 2011, 04:45 PM
Registered User
Copenhagen, Denmark
Joined Oct 2005
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420RcPilot View Post
Big Thanks to Quist for helping it along. It is always nice with help from real professionals. Beeing a self-taught man in this field, I can apreciate the value of formal training...

I basically did what you said; Rerouted SCL track. Moved caps closer. Moved C1 and 2. Added vias next to GND pads!

Also added solderjumpers to select adress on ITG3200, ADXL345 and BMA180...

Can someone check the ADRS1 jumper and compare it with datasheet for ITG3200! I am resonably confident I got it right, though!

IŽll extract component-list once I have rechecked I got all values right!

Board is routed with 10 mil tracks (16 mil for PWR to regulator) with 12 mil isolation/spacing. I guess 10 mil isolation woudl not be a problem - 12 mil is an old habit! Vias are 0.8mm with 0.5mm holes. Should not be a problem for any decent board house! The Seeedstudio Fusion Design rules pass the board, so I guess it works for them as well!
It looks good! Can i hire you for some layout jobs?

Regarding the solderjumpers for address select. I think it's a good idea to have it since it comes for free, and gives flexibility. I normally use a solderjumper where the normal connection is made by a copper track, so you have to cut it with a Dremel if you want the alternative connection.

As mentioned by @berbely it would be nice with one more mounting hole. Mayby you can move the XYZ arrows in the silkscreen and put the hole there?

Alex is right, you will need a 3-pad jumper for ADRS2 as well. The datasheet states the there is no pullup/pulldown on that pin, so it will get an undefined state if left open.
K Quist is offline Find More Posts by K Quist
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2011, 05:06 PM
Friend is a 4 letter word...
JussiH's Avatar
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexinparis View Post
Hi,

Thank you for bringing such a design in open source ! I'm sure it covers a vast demand, beyond multiwii.

I noticed one thing about the ADXL345:
In MultiWii code, I need to short SDO PIN to VCC to select the good I2C address (the other I2C addr with DSO PIN to GND would otherwise share the same address as WMP)
This is not an option I see on ADRS2 jumper.

Another cost orientated question: on digikey, the HMC5843 is at $20. Much more expensive than the HMC5883 mentioned initially. What is the switch reason ?
HMC5883 is not available - digikey has 0 in stock. I suspect it is beeing phased out and replaced by HMC5843. This is also the one used on ArduCopter, AeroQuad and a host of others. I guess weŽll just have to suck up the extra cost....a sparkfun breakout is still 50 USD, so weŽll still save some dough on those!

My mistake on the ADXL345 jumper - I will fix that. But I am right now laying out an alternative design without the ADXL345, and it makes for a much less cluttered design. (I figured we might as well go for the cheaper accel with the better featureset in a prototype run - since we pretty much know that BMA180 is working anyway, and I was gonna specify that one as first prototype option)
JussiH is offline Find More Posts by JussiH
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2011, 05:11 PM
Friend is a 4 letter word...
JussiH's Avatar
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by K Quist View Post
It looks good! Can i hire you for some layout jobs?

Regarding the solderjumpers for address select. I think it's a good idea to have it since it comes for free, and gives flexibility. I normally use a solderjumper where the normal connection is made by a copper track, so you have to cut it with a Dremel if you want the alternative connection.

As mentioned by @berbely it would be nice with one more mounting hole. Mayby you can move the XYZ arrows in the silkscreen and put the hole there?

Alex is right, you will need a 3-pad jumper for ADRS2 as well. The datasheet states the there is no pullup/pulldown on that pin, so it will get an undefined state if left open.
Bring it on - I can be hired for freelance jobs....

IŽll look into putting tracks on the standard position for the jumper. And I will add a third hole in bottom right corner!

Thanks for all your help!

Jussi
JussiH is offline Find More Posts by JussiH
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2011, 01:25 AM
"Let's put a camera on that.."
spagoziak's Avatar
Twin Cities, MN
Joined Feb 2010
1,063 Posts
You guys are MILES over my head on this stuff, but I managed to think of a question anyway!

Alex is updating the software about every four to six weeks. At his current rate, I'd guess there will be another two or three additional devices available for use with the MWC platform in the next six to eight months. Will the board you're designing be able to adapt to the new sensors in some way?

It'd be amazing to have a piece of hardware that could keep up with the advances of the software. Sounds LOTS harder, but it'd still be neat

spag


Add your finished, properly working MWC to the configuration database!
View responses here.
PM me if you have any questions/comments
spagoziak is offline Find More Posts by spagoziak
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2011, 02:32 AM
Ready to fly MRs
Sid3ways's Avatar
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagoziak View Post
Will the board you're designing be able to adapt to the new sensors in some way?
I want to see totally finished boards by the end of this month.
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2011, 02:35 AM
www.shop.trisembly.co.za
rcimports's Avatar
South Africa
Joined Oct 2005
1,583 Posts
I want one by the end of the month!
rcimports is offline Find More Posts by rcimports
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2011, 04:54 AM
OS Sponsor
kinderkram's Avatar
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,311 Posts
@ sid & rc: You can speed up the process by donating a significant amount of bucks for the prototypes.

Just klick here:



Thanks for contributing to the FreeFlight IMU prototyping initiative!
kinderkram is offline Find More Posts by kinderkram
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2011, 05:12 AM
working on a DIY Mini Quad!
Edwardo5000's Avatar
Joined Jan 2010
126 Posts
I have maybe a stupid question, but I'm only fifteen...

Do you adapt an Arduino and/or sensor breakout boards to this, or does this only use the sensors itself?

Greetings,
Edwardo5000 is offline Find More Posts by Edwardo5000
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2011, 05:14 AM
Friend is a 4 letter word...
JussiH's Avatar
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,676 Posts
Well - here is the files for what I have called "FreeFlight IMU" (Stupid name)

There are 2 version: One is with pads for ADXL345 and BMA180. The other one is with BMA180 only!

Both board uses ITG3200 gyro, HMC5843 Magnetometer and BMP085 pressure sensor!

I prefer to go for the one without ADXL345 in the prototype run. But that is not my decision tp make alone. At least now we have the option to choose a run wothout the ADXL345

V1.1 also has the BMA180 accel deadcenter of the Imu. On V1.0 ADXL and BMA is a little to left and right of the center!

Only change for V1.0 since last version in a 3-pin solderjumper to select adress on ADXL345

I have xtracted partslists for both boards. They are all in the ZIP. Only really important thing is that all capacitors should be XR7 dielectric property!

Take a look and offer your opinion on which board to go for in prototype run! If we order them today or tomorrow from Seeed with UPS/DHL we can have them here inside 7-10 days!
JussiH is offline Find More Posts by JussiH
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2011, 05:30 AM
OS Sponsor
kinderkram's Avatar
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420RcPilot View Post
Well - here is the files for what I have called "FreeFlight IMU" (Stupid name)

There are 2 version: One is with pads for ADXL345 and BMA180. The other one is with BMA180 only!

Both board uses ITG3200 gyro, HMC5843 Magnetometer and BMP085 pressure sensor!

I prefer to go for the one without ADXL345 in the prototype run. But that is not my decision tp make alone. At least now we have the option to choose a run wothout the ADXL345

V1.1 also has the BMA180 accel deadcenter of the Imu. On V1.0 ADXL and BMA is a little to left and right of the center!

Only change for V1.0 since last version in a 3-pin solderjumper to select adress on ADXL345

I have xtracted partslists for both boards. They are all in the ZIP. Only really important thing is that all capacitors should be XR7 dielectric property!

Take a look and offer your opinion on which board to go for in prototype run! If we order them today or tomorrow from Seeed with UPS/DHL we can have them here inside 7-10 days!
That's looking great! I'll take board #2 (FF IMU 1.1)

And I think FreeFlight is a nice name! Seeedstudio could name theirs FreeeFlight then.
kinderkram is offline Find More Posts by kinderkram
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2011, 05:35 AM
OS Sponsor
kinderkram's Avatar
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwardo5000 View Post
I have maybe a stupid question, but I'm only fifteen...

Do you adapt an Arduino and/or sensor breakout boards to this, or does this only use the sensors itself?

Greetings,
On the first run, Jussi will make a sensor board only. But since this can be attached through I2C to virtually any arduino based board you can use it with a Pro Mini or a Mega.
kinderkram is offline Find More Posts by kinderkram
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2011, 07:35 AM
Friend is a 4 letter word...
JussiH's Avatar
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,676 Posts
1 uF 0805 Ceramics?

Quist: I can only find 1206 ceramic 1uF at DigiKey - I could change for 1206 or try and find a tantalum.....what is your opinion! I guess we could look for alternative value for regulator decouplers ( I just followed datasheet recommandation)

Edit: That also goes for 220pF, 0.22uF, 4.7uF - guess I am changing to 1206......
JussiH is offline Find More Posts by JussiH
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JussiH; Jan 03, 2011 at 07:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2011, 07:39 AM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2010
132 Posts
Wow, Great Work.
Count me in for one Prototype shield, Version 1.1 (Board 2) I think.
Again, Thanks for your work.
Peter
sandmen is offline Find More Posts by sandmen
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2011, 08:17 AM
Ready to fly MRs
Sid3ways's Avatar
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinderkram View Post
@ sid & rc: You can speed up the process by donating a significant amount of bucks for the prototypes.

Just klick here:



Thanks for contributing to the FreeFlight IMU prototyping initiative!
I will gladly put my "pre-order" in to help with initial costs. Someone needs to put a cost list together and break it down for individuals so we know how much to give on average.
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2011, 08:24 AM
www.shop.trisembly.co.za
rcimports's Avatar
South Africa
Joined Oct 2005
1,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid3ways View Post
I will gladly put my "pre-order" in to help with initial costs. Someone needs to put a cost list together and break it down for individuals so we know how much to give on average.
Yeah, I haven't got alot of money but will gladly help!
rcimports is offline Find More Posts by rcimports
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion MultiWiiCopter (previously TriWiiCopter) Alexinparis Multirotor Electronics 29933 Sep 15, 2014 09:59 AM
For Sale RTF QuadCopters (MultiWiiCopter board) Sid3ways Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 8 Feb 12, 2011 05:12 AM
Question Designing RC Control Sets for LEGO Bots volg Robotics 1 Oct 28, 2010 02:34 PM
New Product Cheap(ish) standalone 12v DVR - records to dvd $100 volto Hot Online Deals 0 Oct 05, 2010 04:24 PM