Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 21, 2010, 08:39 PM
Read My Blog!
Northern California
Joined Jan 2009
1,845 Posts
Discussion
*Funbuild 4* Caravan

About two weeks ago I started drawing plans for a Cessna Caravan. I had been flying it a lot in Flight Simulator X and though it would make a cool RC airplane.

After reading Pat Tritle's Pilatus Porter build thread I was rearing to go on a similar size Caravan. After locating some 3 views I enlarged them and started the long drawing process. I had JUST started gluing sticks together on Saturday when John announced that there could be a scratch-build addition to the Fun-Build so I decided to give it a go.

So far designing my own airplane has had it's ups and downs but I am REALLY liking the result so far.

Fun build thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1344856

HT
HawkerTyphoon is offline Find More Posts by HawkerTyphoon
Last edited by HawkerTyphoon; Feb 09, 2011 at 08:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2010, 11:30 AM
Read My Blog!
Northern California
Joined Jan 2009
1,845 Posts
Since I have already started my model, I will continue updating it here until I reach the point to where I am at.

Here I have finished framing up one of the two sides. I built this one and then laid a piece of wax paper over top, and built the seccond directly over top of the first to ensure that they were exactly the same.

HT
Old Dec 22, 2010, 12:25 PM
Airliner Builder
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Feb 2010
1,943 Posts
Sweet a Caravan! I also like to fly this bird in FS

Watching with interest!
WAGliderGuy is offline Find More Posts by WAGliderGuy
Old Dec 22, 2010, 03:06 PM
Read My Blog!
Northern California
Joined Jan 2009
1,845 Posts
Here is a picture of the sides completed. I then started by gluing in the wing formers. These are solid 1/8th balsa.

HT
Old Dec 22, 2010, 04:22 PM
Read My Blog!
Northern California
Joined Jan 2009
1,845 Posts
Cutting all the formers was a pain, especially all the stringer notches. But yesterday I finally got all the formers onto the fuselage.

HT
Old Dec 22, 2010, 07:00 PM
Read My Blog!
Northern California
Joined Jan 2009
1,845 Posts
Here is what I had this morning. A nice beautiful framed model. I had glued all the formers in last night but when I went to work on it today I hit a MAJOR roadblock. I had glued the rear formers in so that they weren't square!

I spent all day pondering what I was going to do and I finally cam up with this.

I made a simple jig out of scrap plywood and 2X4's. When everything was all lined up, the rear was nearly an inch off center!!

I cut all the rear formers off, which was the 2nd time I had to do so, which made me a little upset. Once I had them off, I put the tail pieces into the jig and re-glued them with a brass tube running down the center for twice the insurance.

I am letting the pieces dry overnight before I take it out and put the bottom formers in.

HT
Old Dec 22, 2010, 07:36 PM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
Nice build and you're on your way to having a nice flier. Great ideas keeping 'er square too.
56S is online now Find More Posts by 56S
Old Dec 22, 2010, 08:58 PM
Read My Blog!
Northern California
Joined Jan 2009
1,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 56S View Post
Nice build and you're on your way to having a nice flier. Great ideas keeping 'er square too.
Thanks! Since this is my first model I had designed that will fly, I am a little apprehensive, but I am sure you are right.

So far the fuselage only weights 1.75 oz's. Yet when it is all glued together, I can't even twist it. I can't believe how strong all these little sticks are when you glue them together.

HT
Old Dec 23, 2010, 06:45 PM
Read My Blog!
Northern California
Joined Jan 2009
1,845 Posts
Here is a picture of today's progress, I didn't get much done because I was very busy doing stuff around the house. I also had a music lesson so I never had a big chunk of time to go out the garage and work on the Caravan.

HT
Old Dec 23, 2010, 06:56 PM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkerTyphoon View Post
Here is a picture of today's progress, I didn't get much done because I was very busy doing stuff around the house. I also had a music lesson so I never had a big chunk of time to go out the garage and work on the Caravan.

HT
My guess by the quality of your work your music lesson was you teaching the Violin? Looking good.
56S is online now Find More Posts by 56S
Old Dec 23, 2010, 08:03 PM
Read My Blog!
Northern California
Joined Jan 2009
1,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 56S View Post
My guess by the quality of your work your music lesson was you teaching the Violin? Looking good.
Wow that's quite the compliment.

You are SUPER close, my brother plays the violin. I play the trumpet. I am still a "student" with a private teacher. But I have been taking lessons for so long it is really just me and my teacher getting together and doing a group practice sort of thing.

I originally was going to play the violin but when I was about 6 we were picking my sister up from band camp, I heard a trumpet playing jazz, so right in the nick of time I decided I wanted to play the trumpet, now 11 years later I am still playing.

HT
Old Dec 23, 2010, 10:15 PM
Read My Blog!
Northern California
Joined Jan 2009
1,845 Posts
I just got finished cutting all the sticks for the vertical stab.

It is going to be airfoiled, being 1/4 thick right before the rudder break. Just laying out the parts I am going to change a couple of things, but for the vast majority, things are going as planned.

HT
Old Dec 24, 2010, 07:39 AM
It flew once before...
Northwood , New Hampshire
Joined Jul 2004
3,865 Posts
Great progress HT ! Now if some of the others that voted "yes" will join in ...
jofrost is offline Find More Posts by jofrost
Old Dec 24, 2010, 09:24 AM
Read My Blog!
Northern California
Joined Jan 2009
1,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofrost View Post
Great progress HT ! Now if some of the others that voted "yes" will join in ...
I know! I keep checking the sticky and so far I am the only one!!

HT
Old Dec 24, 2010, 12:46 PM
Read My Blog!
Northern California
Joined Jan 2009
1,845 Posts
All right, I am waiting for the glue to dry so I decided I would post the specs:

64" wingspan
42.5" Length
Motor: Suppo/Welgard 2217-09 with a 10 or 11 inch prop
30 Amp ESC with 3 amp BEC
6 9G servos
A 2S 2100 or so mah Li-Po
Weight hoping for less than 28oz's

The fuselage is 1/8 sq sticks with the bracing being 1/8 by 1/16 balsa
The formers are 1/8th balsa, stringers are going to be something like 1/16 or so.

HT