SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:11 AM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,238 Posts
It was All Up Last Down 3 min max, done 5 times.

Yesterday was my first time seeing the vlad Helios in action and I couldn't believe the hang time that thing had. I'd be timing for somebody else and I'd look over and think "LeMon isn't in lift. He'll be down soon", only to look over again a minute later and see him at nearly the same altitude. Lift was scarce, but that Helios just wouldn't come down. It's a beautiful plane and it launches and flies amazing. Excellent work, Kristoff!
bwill6 is offline Find More Posts by bwill6
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:05 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,094 Posts
Yep, The Helios never climbed above launch height ALL FREAKIN DAY!!!!!!!!

There was a reported thermal by a couple of guys, but I was not in that round.......

The AULD x 5 is a fun task, but its just too long. Nice thing is that almost everyone will have trouble on at least one of the 5 flights, so it gives everyone a little wiggle room for less than perfection.
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:45 PM
Joined May 2002
17,094 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=14255

Kristoff, the light Helios was once again deadly. I just barely lost to the guy who placed #5 at the US team selects. I must admit though, the Helios played a major role in the results. I love the Helios and really wish a better pilot in the US flew them, but Alan is showing real promise with his down in Arizona. If the Helios 2 is better, then get me one quick.

But in all seriousness, my only changes I would want would be for a better "Cleaner" wing fuse interface, and a little more quality control, and then to make sure all helios wings would work with all helios fuses.

Conditions were very tough with some very BIG sink pockets ans sink cycles, and seldom any real thermals. I dont think anyone got above 400' the entire day. And most flights were spent scrathing for anything and coming down as slow as possible.

LOVE THE HELIOS.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:34 PM
are we there yet?
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined May 2004
1,240 Posts
Good job Jon! Only what, half a percent behind Mike that's impressive.

Now if my performance at the JEM wasn't a fluke and I can do it again that will be awesome. The Helios flew amazing in the wind, added 4 grams to the nose and no ballast. She could push through the 10+ mph winds with ease. I have to thank George Morris for that tip, I'm sure without it I would not have done so well.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Helios 2, with a cleaner wing fuse area I'm sure it'll be better.

Keep up the good work Kristof.

Alan
Alan C is offline Find More Posts by Alan C
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2013, 02:35 PM
Joined May 2002
17,094 Posts
Well, once again the Helios proves herself a worthy ship.

At our monthly I lost to the guy who placed #5 at the US team selects by .04

I believe after 5 rounds I was 99.6% of his score.

The winds were strong almost all day and there was some massive, unavoidable at time, rotor from hell at the site we were flying at. VERY TOUGH CONDITIONS. I flew my original Helios , the heavier one, and it was able to move around pretty well and make the most of what had to be some of the smallest and unpredictable lift I have flown in for a long time.

So Kristoff, whatever you do on the Helios #2, make sure its better, which is going to be hard to do.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 03:01 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,109 Posts
Jonboy requests that it be at least 0.5% better...
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Mar 03, 2013, 03:15 PM
Joined May 2002
17,094 Posts
Yep, EDIT, the scores were finally posted..

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=14834

I was a little further back than .5%..... .6%
Old Mar 04, 2013, 09:24 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,703 Posts
Cheers
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Last edited by rcgeorge; Mar 05, 2013 at 06:29 AM.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:04 AM
Joined May 2002
17,094 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=592

#6 & #8 were Helios. You may recognize some of the names that beat us kids with the Helios! Some of those guys are pretty good.

The Helios performed better than their pilots again this last contest!
Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:24 PM
are we there yet?
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined May 2004
1,240 Posts
Yes Jon you did good. ( where is the pat on the back emoticon? )

there were defiantly times I was very happy to be flying a plane that could get around the sky even in the wind, then when you found lift roll in a bunch of camber and climb away. so much fun!!!
Alan C is offline Find More Posts by Alan C
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 26, 2013, 02:24 AM
Throw it like you hate it
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Apr 2007
3,085 Posts
The Helios certainly is an amazing DLG. I am always impressed with its performance. Both you guys did very well in some very challenging conditions. I recall timing for Alan and felt a thermal blow through a minute or two before the start of the window and said, "That thermal will be long gone when the window starts..." I then looked at his Helios and finished with, "but you have a Helios so you can still go get it." I love the legs on the Helios and its climbing abilities. It's an amazing blend!
Paul
RCPC is offline Find More Posts by RCPC
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 09, 2013, 03:59 PM
Joined May 2002
17,094 Posts
So on my original Helios one of the flaperon hinge lines is starting to fail at the root. I have it rigged up with some clear packing tape, and it seems to be holding up, but is there a more betterer way to fix up a hingeline that is breaking down due to being operated a billion times?
Old Aug 09, 2013, 04:16 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
So on my original Helios one of the flaperon hinge lines is starting to fail at the root. I have it rigged up with some clear packing tape, and it seems to be holding up, but is there a more betterer way to fix up a hingeline that is breaking down due to being operated a billion times?
hi jon,

some time ago i had a wing which i accidently cut thru the hinge while trying to get the aileron moving , it was also at the root , i sanded the area(bottom of the wing) with rough sanding paper and glued a piece of kevlar 45-45 on it , i think i used ca for this like i always do but offcourse epoxy is also good .

i sold the wing as second choice and i think it's still flying like this
krikkens is offline Find More Posts by krikkens
Old Aug 09, 2013, 04:49 PM
Joined May 2002
17,094 Posts
I'll give some kevlar a go and let you know.

Thanks for the quick answer.
Old Aug 09, 2013, 09:19 PM
He bowls overhand
Falcon, Colorado
Joined Oct 2004
1,558 Posts
If your lucky and there is some kevlar hairs along the hinge line, then you might be able to get a little thin CA in there and be good, atleast for awhile. I've pulled some of the kevlar threads out with the tip of a #11 exacto from the top of the hinge line before, then mixed the hairs from the flap and wing together, add some CA, and it was a decent long term fix.
threcixty is offline Find More Posts by threcixty