HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2012, 01:49 AM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbted View Post

I have them on my build log for my Helios, they're marked on the wing! Oh wait, I'm too late. Doesn't matter, it's still a cool picture.
So is this the new location? Why. On Helios #1 I am at 32 mm back from LE and this pic shows 42. I want them up as far as possible!!!!!

And yes, the funniest thing happened and I have Helios #2 and she has potential to be even better than #1!!!!!!

Its a Vlad with CF veil tails.

Also, flew tonight for the first time in quite some time and the Helios really is a joy to fly!!!!! Very happy customer. I will do a write up on #2 in a bit, some things better, some things worse, but still nice ship!!!!
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Last edited by JONBOYLEMON; Sep 06, 2012 at 10:31 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2012, 04:13 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
So is this the new location? Why. On Helios #1 I am at 32 mm back from LE and this pic shows 42. I want them up as far as possible!!!!!

And yes, the funniest thing happened and I have Helios #2 and she has potential to be even better than #1!!!!!!

Its a Samaria with CF veil tails.

Also, flew tonight for the first time in quite some time and the Helios really is a joy to fly!!!!! Very happy customer. I will do a write up on #2 in a bit, some things better, some things worse, but still nice ship!!!!
that's correct jon, should be able to see where the spar is , you are right behind it like that...

-kristof-
krikkens is online now Find More Posts by krikkens
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:14 AM
Joined May 2002
17,093 Posts
So 42 back is correct. Just want to make sure I understand.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:28 AM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
Its a Samaria with CF veil tails.
You need to learn your carbons... your new Helios is a Vlad carbon wing.
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:31 AM
Joined May 2002
17,093 Posts
Thats what I said.........

Editing post now......
Old Sep 06, 2012, 11:27 PM
He bowls overhand
Falcon, Colorado
Joined Oct 2004
1,558 Posts
My Helios got me a 7th place at the TS. Not great, but it was not the plane's fault! Just want to say that this plane has potential.

Kristoff:

Is there any way to put a small carbon rod in the leading edge of the stab and fin? Also, is there any way to modify the fin as to not have to cut the rudder short of the tip on the bottom, and still have it safe from damage?

The wing is awesome. Does exactly what it should by going fast and floating. I was getting 2:30 in dead air at the TS for poker, where Polaris' were getting 2. This is at 9oz. I tried gapsealing the flaperons, but ended up taking them off due to what seemed to be a 10 second dead air difference with the gapseals removed.

The carbon veil tails are light, but really, REALLY fragile. My plane landed with very low groundspeed in some weeds, and they cut through the carbon/foam back to the unicarbon spar. A .030 leading edge would make a HUGE difference here. Also, pushing the kevlar hinge on the elevator to the tips or within a mm or so would help.. my hinges split right after the kevlar at about 100 throws.

Pull spring rudders work awesome! Not so much on the elevator. A pushrod (.028 carbon and .030 teflon run inside the fuse) works much better. I threw Skip M's Helios at about 80% and it fluttered. My plane with a pushrod elevator will take all I can give.

All in all.. sweet plane. Get the flaperon cuts accurate and make the wing bolts straight and this is a very close competitor to the Concept and Stobel. The orange tips on a Vlad wing are one of the coolest paint schemes ever!

Thanks again for making this plane, Kristoff!

Jim
threcixty is offline Find More Posts by threcixty
Old Sep 07, 2012, 03:26 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,277 Posts
hi ,

the carbon veil tails build to be super light and are ment to buiold an early morning or evening helios, glass tails can take a lot more and are ment for an all-round helios .

i can't think of a way to have a pre-cured rod installed or something , a carbon roving on the LE could be done but you will lose all benefit from the light lay-up .

over here we all fly with spring-pull connections and it doesn't flutter so it shoudl be the way it is set -up as a japanese guy launched it to 76.6meter(250 feet) with a pull-spring set-up plane.
on my personnal planes i sometimes add a second spring to the elevator or replace the first with a stronger one ...

how do you mean the hinges split? the hinge needs to be cut thru about 5mm at the tip because thehingeline is not straight anymore from there but i never saw it tear in further after a while..please clarify this..

thanks for your'e feedback!

-kristof-

Quote:
Originally Posted by threcixty View Post
My Helios got me a 7th place at the TS. Not great, but it was not the plane's fault! Just want to say that this plane has potential.

Kristoff:

Is there any way to put a small carbon rod in the leading edge of the stab and fin? Also, is there any way to modify the fin as to not have to cut the rudder short of the tip on the bottom, and still have it safe from damage?

The wing is awesome. Does exactly what it should by going fast and floating. I was getting 2:30 in dead air at the TS for poker, where Polaris' were getting 2. This is at 9oz. I tried gapsealing the flaperons, but ended up taking them off due to what seemed to be a 10 second dead air difference with the gapseals removed.

The carbon veil tails are light, but really, REALLY fragile. My plane landed with very low groundspeed in some weeds, and they cut through the carbon/foam back to the unicarbon spar. A .030 leading edge would make a HUGE difference here. Also, pushing the kevlar hinge on the elevator to the tips or within a mm or so would help.. my hinges split right after the kevlar at about 100 throws.

Pull spring rudders work awesome! Not so much on the elevator. A pushrod (.028 carbon and .030 teflon run inside the fuse) works much better. I threw Skip M's Helios at about 80% and it fluttered. My plane with a pushrod elevator will take all I can give.

All in all.. sweet plane. Get the flaperon cuts accurate and make the wing bolts straight and this is a very close competitor to the Concept and Stobel. The orange tips on a Vlad wing are one of the coolest paint schemes ever!

Thanks again for making this plane, Kristoff!

Jim
Old Sep 07, 2012, 10:10 AM
Horizon Hobby Employee
United States, IL, Mahomet
Joined Jun 2006
636 Posts
This is a huge difference and cannot possibly be attributed to the wing alone.

The Helios is an excellent model, certainly competition caliber, and great value for money. Thanks to Kristof and Kyle for making them available here.

CG

Quote:
Originally Posted by threcixty View Post

The wing is awesome. Does exactly what it should by going fast and floating. I was getting 2:30 in dead air at the TS for poker, where Polaris' were getting 2. This is at 9oz.

Jim
Craig Greening is online now Find More Posts by Craig Greening
Old Sep 07, 2012, 10:30 AM
Joined May 2002
17,093 Posts
On my Helios #1 I am not able to outfloat a Concept or a Polaris in dead air. But my wing is this one.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...92&postcount=1 It is not a dead air ship! Its in no way a bad dead air ship, I just cant hang with my friends in dead air and we all launch about the same.

My new one is a Vlad w/ veil tails and I am hoping to get her built alot lighter than #1 so that in dead morning air I dont give up soo much in float.

The Helios ROCKZ!!!!!!!!! Get her into just a touch of lift and your golden, she loves to climb and is soo easy to fly!!!!!

I plan to only use the new Vlad in super duper light lift where I can always hand catch her and keep the tail in perfect shape.

I plan to use a steel pushrod on the elevator on the Vlad. I feel its the only way to go.
Last edited by JONBOYLEMON; Sep 07, 2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 10:43 AM
Just a plane Junkie
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
461 Posts
I've been flying a Concept all year and was not getting the best dead air times on my new Helios until I added quite a bit more camber. Sorry, I don't have any measurements... I set the camber adjustment to a slider on my tx with 1 click adjustments and timed dead air flights until achieving the best results.

I was loving mine until I blew it up! Should have a new fuse in a couple days - I can't wait fly a Helios again.
apex is offline Find More Posts by apex
Old Sep 07, 2012, 10:47 AM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Joined Jun 2006
636 Posts
I was very happy with my Helios even flying it a little under cambered for the majority of the time. After talking with Kyle at the Bruce this year I tried a little more camber and did see a difference.

Not sure why guys have trouble with pull spring on elevator, have never had any trouble. I use a .018" Z-shaped spring.

CG
Old Sep 07, 2012, 11:19 AM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,500 Posts
Craig, can you post a picture of the spring? I might give pull-spring a try again on my XXLite to help keep weight down.
samc99us is online now Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Sep 07, 2012, 11:29 AM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Joined Jun 2006
636 Posts
Sure thing Sam, will try and do it tonight. I use the same spring size and length on all my models (Helios, Validol, Fr3aK, Stobel). No problems.

From what I have read (forgot which thread, maybe this one), the weight saving is minimal. I prefer the simplicity.

CG

Quote:
Originally Posted by samc99us View Post
Craig, can you post a picture of the spring? I might give pull-spring a try again on my XXLite to help keep weight down.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 12:05 PM
He bowls overhand
Falcon, Colorado
Joined Oct 2004
1,558 Posts
Kristoff:
If they are launching that high, then it must be the setups I have seen that fluttered. Pull string is WAY easier then a pushrod and saves a ton of weight. Ill have to try it on the next Helios

The hinge that split was my fault, but happened on the tip of the stab where the kevlar ends. A small piece of tape and it's good as used. Not a big deal at all.

Jim
threcixty is offline Find More Posts by threcixty
Old Sep 07, 2012, 12:34 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samc99us View Post
hi sam,

if you follow the manual and use the provided materials you should be good...

-kristof-