More info and a pic of the gap seal please
JONBOYLEMON is online now Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2012, 07:32 PM
Just a plane Junkie
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
461 Posts
Gap seals: Clean a piece of glass with glass cleaner, lay down a ribbon of magnetic cassette tape, then lay a piece of clear tape over the entire ribbon, being sure to overlap the ribbon by at least 1/8" on both sides. Use a fresh razor blade and a ruler to cut one side flush with the edge of the ribbon, and cut the other side about 1/8" from the ribbon. Peel it off the glass and lay it in place on your wing with the clear sticky part toward the nose and the ribbon out over the gap. Do this 3 or 4 times to cover the entire gap. Make sure your ailerons can move up and down without catching on the tape.

Flush servo covers: I made a false floor for the servo covers out of 1/16" balsa, which is CA'd to the servos. Then I carefully cut and sanded the carbon covers to shape and taped them into place with small strips of clear packing tape. I used the carbon that came with the kit. I need some better tape -- Craig R is hogging all the good stuff...
apex is offline Find More Posts by apex
Old Aug 05, 2012, 07:39 PM
Just a plane Junkie
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
461 Posts
BTW, I made one perfect gap seal last night and then spent an hour trying to recreate it without success. I kept getting air bubbles between the packing tape and the magnetic tape! argh!

The trick was to clean the glass with glass cleaner just before laying down the magnetic tape. I think it was static electricity making the magnetic tape jump off the table and onto the packing tape, creating dozens of bubbles of trapped air every time.

That brown is ugly... I may have to redo it all with black magnetic tape, ugh.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 08:23 PM
Kyle Clayton
United States, VA, Dinwiddie
Joined Feb 2008
2,438 Posts
I do my gap seal with two pieces of clear gloss 3M tape. Granted, much harder to do than the cassette tape ones, but a couple feet away and they disappear, making it all worthwhile
Wave Glider is offline Find More Posts by Wave Glider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
Old Aug 05, 2012, 09:08 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,712 Posts
Baby powder is easier and takes no time.
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Aug 05, 2012, 11:43 PM
Colombia, Valle del Cauca, Cali
Joined Mar 2010
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgeorge View Post
Please explain the powder method, or the double 3m tape method?
DrIli is offline Find More Posts by DrIli
Old Aug 06, 2012, 12:00 AM
Thermals the path to elevation
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jul 2004
3,282 Posts
Take a strip of hinge tape or one-sided scotch (type) tape cut to length.Lay the tape so half is stuck to a counter or table edge. Half of the tape will be exposed over the surface edge.

Apply baby power to the exposed half. This will remove the adhesion properties. Carefully pull up the tape and lay down on the wing hinge, making sure the baby powered side is on the aileron side. The sticky side will adhere to the non-moving wing surface.
RotorCycle is offline Find More Posts by RotorCycle
Old Aug 06, 2012, 01:41 AM
United States, AZ, Arizona City
Joined Sep 2001
5,011 Posts
Jon,

Wait till Russ finds out He was already feeling bad about your launch height advantage. Shoot, wait till Red sees it.

Waiting for flight report.

Gary
GaryO is offline Find More Posts by GaryO
Old Aug 06, 2012, 04:29 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgeorge View Post
baby powder can get sticky when there is a lot of humidity (morning , evening or rain!)

i know one guy who almost threw his plane at a contest , only the last second he found it neither of his ailerons moved , he pulled of the gap-seal and the problem was solved...

i use a tighly rolled cover film(the ticker/stiffer stuff) for my gap-seal , some double sided tape on it , and it makes a good gap-seal and beacease it was tighly rolled it has a nice curve in it pushing it against the aileron...

-kristof-
krikkens is offline Find More Posts by krikkens
Old Aug 06, 2012, 10:04 PM
United States, AZ, Arizona City
Joined Sep 2001
5,011 Posts
Jon,

What did your Helios end up weighing and where was the cg?

Mine is 270g with the cg at 72. D box wing, not cf.

Gary
GaryO is offline Find More Posts by GaryO
Old Aug 06, 2012, 10:46 PM
Just a plane Junkie
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
461 Posts
Hey Gary,

Currently 255 grams and the cg is at 74mm. I added almost an ounce (25g) in the nose to get it to balance there! Definitely flying better at 74 than it was at 78...

I'm going to pour some lead tonight and rework the layout so I can get the weight as forward as possible.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:34 AM
Full disclosure, not sponsored
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,131 Posts
Lets talk tails.

The carbon tail that are 9 grams for the set. I believe they are the veil.

Do they hold up, or are they weaker than the glass tails? The kind I am asking about are the ones that are light grey and look like they are covered in carbon veil, NOT the perfectly woven type CF.
JONBOYLEMON is online now Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Last edited by JONBOYLEMON; Sep 05, 2012 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Changed to correct term for cf on tail as veil.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:46 AM
Russ Young
United States, UT, South Jordan
Joined Mar 2006
1,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
Lets talk tails.

The carbon tail that are 9 grams for the set. I believe they are the Vlad.

Do they hold up, or are they weaker than the glass tails? The kind I am asking about are the ones that are light grey and look like they are covered in carbon veil, NOT the perfectly woven type CF.
Jon, I think you are referring to the tails that you've seen on my Helios. When I ordered my plane I also ordered a set of the standard tails because I was worried about the light ones holding up. I landed a bit sideways once and the bottom of the fin didn't really crease, but I could bend it and see where the veil had de-lammed (a little bubble). I just put some thin CA on it and it wicked right through the cloth and I was good to go....now, that being said, I've seen you land and I would recommend you get 2 full sets of the strongest tails you can get, glue them together, slap them on, put a couple ounces of weight in the nose, and you're golden

PS, I must have received an extra light set of tails. They were a total of 8 grams after installing springs and control horns.
isoarthenland is offline Find More Posts by isoarthenland
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:46 AM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,521 Posts
Veil tails that I've been flying hold up OK. I think they do the same as similar glass tails. Biggest thing is denting them up from hangar rash, namely at the TE.

Kyle keeps his tails under cover at all times during a contest. I haven't seen a failure due to launch or landing. Hence I ordered veil to save weight.
samc99us is online now Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Sep 05, 2012, 02:03 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
Lets talk tails.

The carbon tail that are 9 grams for the set. I believe they are the Vlad.

jon,

carbon veil tails: 9gr
glass tails:12gr
full carbon tails(vlad): 15gr

the carbon veil &glass tails share the same spar system so they both hold up on launch , no issue there.

the carbon veil tails are more prone to damage tough , like said in a post above you have to keep the TE away from stuff , it damages easely .
they are torsionnaly less stiff then the glass tails too, cause there is no fibre orientation to provide stiffness , but they are super light....

-kristof-
krikkens is offline Find More Posts by krikkens