HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 03, 2012, 01:21 AM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,248 Posts
Holy crap that's light for a "normal" aspect ratio plane! Amazing work, kristoff!
bwill6 is offline Find More Posts by bwill6
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2012, 03:58 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by apex View Post
Muahaha... forgot to take the masking tape off the bottom of the wing... 227g AUW!
that's unnusual light ? but the cg will not be near flyable like this , with glass tails you need a 30 gr battery so you could put in a second lipo or about 15gr of lead .

245 gr is the weight for a helios with carbon veil tails , but with glass it should end up around 260gr .

all depends on cg offcourse , if you only fly in good weather , no wind conditions you can get waayy further back then when it get's rough , personnaly i fly at 68mm in turbulent conditions and 73mm on deadcalm conditions , some further back is possible tough..

good luck on the maiden

-kristof-
krikkens is online now Find More Posts by krikkens
Old Aug 03, 2012, 07:36 AM
Kyle Clayton
United States, VA, Dinwiddie
Joined Feb 2008
2,439 Posts
Kick ass Jon! That was fast, you must've started building within minutes of the box arriving lol. That red looks evil, it needs some reference to Dracula on there
Wave Glider is offline Find More Posts by Wave Glider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
Old Aug 03, 2012, 09:45 AM
Just a plane Junkie
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
461 Posts
Thanks - the CG is around 83 right now. I will be adding lead before the maiden.

What's the average weight of the CFV tailset?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krikkens View Post
that's unnusual light ? but the cg will not be near flyable like this , with glass tails you need a 30 gr battery so you could put in a second lipo or about 15gr of lead .

245 gr is the weight for a helios with carbon veil tails , but with glass it should end up around 260gr .

all depends on cg offcourse , if you only fly in good weather , no wind conditions you can get waayy further back then when it get's rough , personnaly i fly at 68mm in turbulent conditions and 73mm on deadcalm conditions , some further back is possible tough..

good luck on the maiden

-kristof-
apex is offline Find More Posts by apex
Old Aug 03, 2012, 09:55 AM
Full disclosure, not sponsored
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,152 Posts
I know from personal experience you can fly the helios with the CG behind the trailing edge. And by fly, I mean you can get her back home w/o crashing after ballast comes loose at 400' in a tornado and slides back in the tail boom until it jams up.

Happened to me at a contest and I was flying great and actually marked the lift in the round of terrible air and then out of nowhere I thought I had radio problems or the elevator came off as I lost pitch control and it was either up @ 45 degrees or down at 45 degrees. Not recomended....
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Aug 03, 2012, 10:12 AM
Kyle Clayton
United States, VA, Dinwiddie
Joined Feb 2008
2,439 Posts
Quote:
Thanks - the CG is around 83 right now. I will be adding lead before the maiden.

What's the average weight of the CFV tailset?
~9g set for CFV. With glass tails and that CG, you will need to add probably close to 20g. Thats whay I prefer a bigger 2s battery anyway, more power, and you need the weight anyhow.
Wave Glider is offline Find More Posts by Wave Glider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
Old Aug 03, 2012, 10:21 AM
Just a plane Junkie
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
461 Posts
Hmmm.. my glass tails weighed 10g. Maybe I need to test my scale...

Edit: Two quarters weighed 11g so the scale is accurate. Kristof made some super light tails this batch!
Last edited by apex; Aug 03, 2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old Aug 03, 2012, 10:39 AM
Oregon, USA
Joined Nov 2006
305 Posts
Quote:
Muahaha... forgot to take the masking tape off the bottom of the wing... 227g AUW!
Jon,
Just a quick heads upů DO NOT leave your plane unattended under that Fir tree at our next contest.
I heard from a reliable source that a fellow contestant has a scheme involving large quantities of lead and 5 minute epoxy.

Plane looks great! Any plans to fly it tomorrow? I would like to see it soon.

CR
C Robinson is offline Find More Posts by C Robinson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DLG Fuselage Mold - Part 1
Old Aug 03, 2012, 12:06 PM
Just a plane Junkie
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
461 Posts
Uh oh. I guess I will have to lock my planes up between rounds

Thanks. Sure, I can fly tomorrow afternoon. Your park or mine? Send me a PM or email. I can't wait to try your throwing blade!

-Jon
Old Aug 03, 2012, 12:30 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,225 Posts
Jon,

Like you needed something better than your Concept! Sheesh! Serious nice bling there.

Hope to see you, the new plane and Craig the 11th and 12th in Carnation.

Rick
rdjay is offline Find More Posts by rdjay
Old Aug 03, 2012, 03:54 PM
Just a plane Junkie
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
461 Posts
Confused about the vertical install...

First of all, what is the "G10" part mentioned by Alan in this post?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=599

What is the correct side of the boom to mount the vertical on? Or does it matter? In Alan's post the control horn is setup for a right handed thrower, but the vertical is on the left side (as viewed from the back of the plane).

Is there an explanation for side mounting the vertical, or does it just get glued in place? How about using a screw to hold it on?
Old Aug 03, 2012, 03:57 PM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,891 Posts
To screw the vertical on, you'd need hardpoint(s) in the vertical, hardpoint(s) in the boom, and screws or a screw and a pin. Likely all this would weigh quite a bit more than just gluing it in place.

The vertical is under a fair bit more load than the horizontal.

Gerald
G_T is offline Find More Posts by G_T
Old Aug 03, 2012, 03:57 PM
Just a plane Junkie
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
461 Posts
Okay, I figured out the G10 part (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=318).

I thought that was just a piece of leftover fiberglass from the control horns.... That could be why my rudder popped off.
Old Aug 03, 2012, 04:03 PM
Russ Young
United States, UT, South Jordan
Joined Mar 2006
1,168 Posts
Quote:
Confused about the vertical install...

First of all, what is the "G10" part mentioned by Alan in this post?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=599

What is the correct side of the boom to mount the vertical on? Or does it matter? In Alan's post the control horn is setup for a right handed thrower, but the vertical is on the left side (as viewed from the back of the plane).

Is there an explanation for side mounting the vertical, or does it just get glued in place? How about using a screw to hold it on?
If you look inside the boom in the left picture, you will see a kind of yellowish crescent shaped piece that protrudes inside from the left. Then you can look closely at the fin, you can see that that same yellowish plastic piece has a vertical component that has been slotted and glued into the fin. There is a small cut from the boom where the crescent shaped part is inserted and glued

...never mind
isoarthenland is offline Find More Posts by isoarthenland
Old Aug 05, 2012, 06:44 PM
Just a plane Junkie
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
461 Posts
Now that I actually followed the instructions, the rudder seems secure. I had my personal best launch today, 184' while ballasted to 11oz. Climbing in thermals was easy, even at that weight. My CG is at 75mm which seems just the tiniest bit positive.

I spent some time yesterday installing the ballast tube (so easy!) and creating some carbon wing servo covers that are completely flush. Oh, I also installed full-span gap seals on the wing which really quieted my launches. Todays average height was 10' better than yesterday, with less wind too... is it the shoes?