Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 09, 2011, 02:34 AM
Joined Nov 2008
270 Posts
Kristof,

You can add 3 kits for me in your bookorder !!

Olivier
leroyo is offline Find More Posts by leroyo
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2011, 09:42 AM
glider
Belgium, Vlaams Gewest, Balen
Joined May 2007
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydevriendt View Post
Way to go Kristof. I'd like to order three, if that's OK with Peter Cuypers of course (you will have to delay his delivery date).
Cheers,

Yves
hela Yves
peter.c is offline Find More Posts by peter.c
Old Feb 13, 2011, 11:15 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,240 Posts
hi,

today i took the helios out to compare with other dlg's (twister 1 and 2 and blaster 3)

my helios climb's 10 meter's higher(my record launch is now 52 meter) then the rest of the planes but before noon it came down faster resulting in equal flight times .
average launches were 50 meter that's 8-10 meter higher then i'm used too.
another pilot got it to 59 meter with an average of 57 , he wasn't used to getting a plane this high either.

in the afternoon i practiced some more with this year's belgian champion and beat him 4 out 5 times , first with his blaster 3 then with his twister 2.

it was windy today and the extra launch height did the thing i guess.

next week i'll attend the first competition for this year , really looking forward to it.
krikkens is offline Find More Posts by krikkens
Last edited by krikkens; Feb 13, 2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 11:53 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,240 Posts
new launch record!

hi,

i did a few launches this evening with plenty of wind (like the last time i wen't flying)

i moved the cog more forward and really liked it , launches went from 50 to 54meter average and highest launch was 57 meter's .

the zone v2 is really an awesome wing!

-kristof-
Old Feb 16, 2011, 08:54 AM
specked out
USA, VA, Sutherland
Joined Sep 2008
241 Posts
Kristof,
Amazing work, especially the pink setup. I am very interested in a kit but I have a couple of questions 1 being, well I think I read this before but do you include the servos in the rds system and can you mold them into the wing. Next is the pod design with the hatch on the side doesn't that make it more effective for rightys, with me being a lefty I think on launch the stress laterally on the pod might cause some flex or even failure. I am defininately not a rocket scientist on this so please laugh at me if I am way off haha. Thanks

Marcus
mccainml is offline Find More Posts by mccainml
Old Feb 16, 2011, 01:40 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,240 Posts
hi marcus,

the rds system+servo are moulded in , i use hyperion ds09's .

i think the fuselage with the servo tray glued in place is very strong , i can't imagine breaking it by throwing the plane.

-kristof-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccainml View Post
Kristof,
Amazing work, especially the pink setup. I am very interested in a kit but I have a couple of questions 1 being, well I think I read this before but do you include the servos in the rds system and can you mold them into the wing. Next is the pod design with the hatch on the side doesn't that make it more effective for rightys, with me being a lefty I think on launch the stress laterally on the pod might cause some flex or even failure. I am defininately not a rocket scientist on this so please laugh at me if I am way off haha. Thanks

Marcus
Old Feb 19, 2011, 07:16 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,240 Posts
kevlar disser model @272 gram

hi,

finished a second model for the first contest this year for me tomorrow.

this one has a kevlar disser and cf d-box wing.

weight : 272 gram wich is pretty much the best i can do with this setup/lay-up. i can save a few gram's but not much.

i hope the wind get's down this evening so i can trim out the new helios.

-kristof-
Old Feb 19, 2011, 08:13 AM
I ♥ Carbon Fiber
Germany
Joined Apr 2006
482 Posts
Beautiful planes you got there!

Small advice: If you put a piece of kevlar tow around the edge of the canopy lip you won't have the small air bubbles in the epoxy at the step where the canopy lip connects to the fuse.
Jonas M. is online now Find More Posts by Jonas M.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 09:53 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas M. View Post
Beautiful planes you got there!

Small advice: If you put a piece of kevlar tow around the edge of the canopy lip you won't have the small air bubbles in the epoxy at the step where the canopy lip connects to the fuse.

hi jonas , thanks

yes i now some tow will be better , i will add some to next order.
altough i don't have much air bubble's , i do put some cg tow on the side's of the wingsadlle .

-kristof-
Old Feb 19, 2011, 07:25 PM
Kyle Clayton
United States, VA, Dinwiddie
Joined Feb 2008
2,365 Posts
Beautiful work!
Wave Glider is online now Find More Posts by Wave Glider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
Old Feb 19, 2011, 07:46 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,018 Posts
Very very nice work Kristof, you continue to amaze me
ThomasLee is online now Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Neos Layups
Old Feb 20, 2011, 02:59 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,240 Posts
first contest with my helios

hi,

it was freezing cold(around zero degree's) and there was a lot wind(4 bft) but very strong thermal's and therefore lot's of strong sink to.
it was very challenging and learnfull to fly in these conditions.
it was the first competion i attended outside of belgium and some top class pilot's were there.
i came out 7 th out of 24 wich is a good ranking for me .
i can see the positive evolution i'm making since i started flying dlg's last year and with the new zone v2 wing i can launch close to the highest launcher's .
i need practice more to detect a thermal(core) and make optimal use of it.
but over time it will get better i supose.

-kristof-
Old Feb 24, 2011, 11:40 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,240 Posts
rds installation

hi,

here are some pictures of a wing core with rds installed .

notice the ball bearing that hold's the wiper in place , i hope this will run smooth witouth any play on it .

-kristof-
Old Feb 24, 2011, 11:50 AM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,703 Posts
RDS by its very design requires play to work well. The design can be altered so this is not the case, but the basic design will not work well with a fixed bearing. The reason is the bend in the wiper is not centered on the hingeline. It is offset vertically. Draw out some pictures and see what happens as the control surface is moved. The hingeline will take a beating and the surface will move vertically as well as pivot which is bad.

The usual play is allowing the wiper to move in and out. If that is not allowed, it needs some other direction of freedom or else alterations away from the classic RDS configuration.

Gerald
G_T is online now Find More Posts by G_T
Old Feb 24, 2011, 12:35 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_T View Post
RDS by its very design requires play to work well. The design can be altered so this is not the case, but the basic design will not work well with a fixed bearing. The reason is the bend in the wiper is not centered on the hingeline. It is offset vertically. Draw out some pictures and see what happens as the control surface is moved. The hingeline will take a beating and the surface will move vertically as well as pivot which is bad.

The usual play is allowing the wiper to move in and out. If that is not allowed, it needs some other direction of freedom or else alterations away from the classic RDS configuration.

Gerald
gerald ,

the coupler and wiper can move little fore and after , this should resolve this issue.

-kristof-