HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 14, 2012, 02:25 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,985 Posts
Say it aint so!!!!!!!

Thats the saddest post I have seen in a long time.

What was your RX installation?

On mine it sits in the Kevlar area but I have been worried about it sliding back into the CF area and causing a lock out. Tonight I will put something in the fuse so RX cannot slide back!

Sorry for your loss.

Moment of Silence......

PS, what radio system? and did you try and initiate fail since since the crash to see if it still works.

And yep, thats not alot of damage for ALOT of crash!
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2012, 02:27 PM
American Exile
Germany, BB, Nauen
Joined Jan 2009
344 Posts
That is completely awesome, I mean I'm sorry for your crash, but the wing looks awesome and the tail feathers too! My Steigeisen dived from about 100 feet up and was in so many pieces that I took it home in a bucket. This looks like a plane that I'll be able to fly for at least an entire season!
xbted is offline Find More Posts by xbted
Old Mar 14, 2012, 02:45 PM
are we there yet?
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined May 2004
1,237 Posts
Thanks guys, I was really pissed walking across the field to the plane. once I got there I was so surprised about how little damage there was the anger dissipated very quickly. The wing does not look like there is any damage until very close inspection, there is one small and I mean small ding on the right wing about 4" in from the tip. All in all there was not much damage.

I fly a Hitec Aurora 9 with optima receivers. My antenna was taped to the inside of the canopy so even if the receiver moved back the antenna was still out in the open. Now that you mention that Jon I wonder if the receiver moved back far enough that the pins on the receiver could touch the ballast tube causing a short. I put a piece of depron on those pins knowing that could be an issue and now that I look the depron is gone. not sure if it dissapeared in the crash or before. I will be using tape in the future. The receiver would have had to move alot to get to where it could do that so it is not very likely.

Ill do a post mortem this evening and post more pics.

One good thing is that Donnie has a fuse that he will sell me, I just have to get approval to spend the money from She who must be obeyed.
Alan C is offline Find More Posts by Alan C
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2012, 04:05 PM
Joined May 2010
326 Posts
Hi,

It is very sad that such thing happening

If you are using Hyperion SCD09, give them a test at home for one hour of moving
Some of those servos from the last batch are getting wild by them self, it's worth checking.
Hyperion SCD09 Servo Problem (0 min 19 sec)

Hyperion DS 09SCD Malfunction (0 min 9 sec)
Beetle-Jet is offline Find More Posts by Beetle-Jet
Old Mar 14, 2012, 04:19 PM
are we there yet?
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined May 2004
1,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle-Jet View Post
Hi,

It is very sad that such thing happening

If you are using Hyperion SCD09, give them a test at home for one hour of moving
Some of those servos from the last batch are getting wild by them self, it's worth checking.
I am using DS-09's in the wing. I had read about this issue and when I got the servos I hooked them up and moved them for a while with no issues. that is not to say that the issue could not show up later I guess.

I dont think it was a servo issue since I had to control in the air and even when I got to the plane I still had no control. I am starting to lean toward the voltage regulator.
Alan C is offline Find More Posts by Alan C
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2012, 04:25 PM
Where did my plane go???
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined Nov 2008
638 Posts
How did you get the beans above the frank???

I totally know how you feel!

As like yours, Mine was just the fuse that needed replacing (oh, plus a new radio and 8 receivers )

HUGH
HHARRIS is offline Find More Posts by HHARRIS
Old Mar 14, 2012, 04:45 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,651 Posts
Alan very sorry to see that I really like that plane
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Mar 14, 2012, 04:46 PM
American Exile
Germany, BB, Nauen
Joined Jan 2009
344 Posts
In my Helios, I've decided to use Dymond D47s in the the fuselage and D60s in the wing of my Helios and here's why- I can run them at 7.4 volts and keep that voltage regulator out of the loop. Plus, I'm going to be able to monitor my voltage with the onboard telemetry via the Multiplex RX. And now seeing the video of the DS09s, it really seals the deal.

I hope going with Multiplex instead of spektrum, eliminating the voltage regulator and using only the Dymond servos help to eliminate mysterious nose diving in my planes. I'd like to feel confident that if my aircraft crashes then it was my fault, because at least I can fix that.

Yeah, I've had two too many planes go home in pieces after mysterious nosedives.
xbted is offline Find More Posts by xbted
Last edited by xbted; Mar 14, 2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 04:51 PM
Joined May 2002
16,985 Posts
I am wagering a nickel Alan finds the problem tonight. Sure hope so. Gremlins are a confidence killer!
Old Mar 14, 2012, 04:54 PM
Russ Young
United States, UT, South Jordan
Joined Mar 2006
1,166 Posts
Alan, so sorry about the plane.
isoarthenland is offline Find More Posts by isoarthenland
Old Mar 14, 2012, 05:24 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,247 Posts
alan,

that really sucks! i have lost some models (3) with my previous radio system , same thing , hitting a nice thermal , going up and then nothing , a death-spiral and a walk to pick up the pieces.
i'm futaba now and could not be more happy (well the lack of a telemetry system maybe...)

like you i was amazed whit the condition a found the plane in , well a wing with a core can take a lot more i guess...

luckely all damage is only on the fuselage , i hope you find the reason and can get back in the air soon

-kristof-
krikkens is offline Find More Posts by krikkens
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:32 PM
Team ATX Pilot
Phx. Az.
Joined Nov 2004
1,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHARRIS View Post
How did you get the beans above the frank???

I totally know how you feel!

As like yours, Mine was just the fuse that needed replacing (oh, plus a new radio and 8 receivers )

HUGH
Had these crashes been on a hollow molded plane you would have been buying a complete airframe. This is why I feel soild core is the way to go and is the wave of the future. After launching this type of wing I will never go back to RDS molded wing. I have found that they are much stiffer and hold up to more abuse with the same performance, at the AZ Open I had a bad tip catch and re launch that would had broken the tip on my Twisters but the Polaris didn't even blink. It just hurt my finger like no other launch I have ever had. Sorry about your plane Alan it a great design any with the fuse I have you will be back in the air long before Red Rock...
Donnie
dbone is offline Find More Posts by dbone
Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:27 AM
Joined May 2002
16,985 Posts
Finally got a chance to flip the Helios around after work tonight. ZERO lift!!!!!! A little bit of sink, and a few sprinkles.

2 things.

1. What do you guys have setup for launch? I have 2mm reflex for the run up to altitude. When I push launch preset I do 2 mm camber and up elevator.

2. How do you get a clean pushover at top of launch? I tried staying in speed for pushout,but she seems to stall no matter what I do.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:41 AM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,725 Posts
I can't speak to the specifics of this plane, but on pushover I nearly always transition to cruise or float, depending on my goals. About the only time I'll ever stay in speed is if I want to go upwind fast, in which case I'll also push over a bit early to maintain some speed.

Stall is flying too slowly. Push over sooner.

Pushover is practice, timing, and having enough down elevator to do the job.

BTW, 2mm reflex sounds high to me. If the wing design is what I think it is - made in speed mode IE the default camber position of the foils - then 0 to perhaps -1mm would be the range for the climb portion. Going negative should really only be useful for power throwers. YMMV of course; it is best to test since you have a real plane rather than a theoretic model.

Realize that a launch camber position that someone else uses may not be exactly right for you, even if it is for the same plane. The faster the plane is launched, the more the optimal camber position could be towards the reflex direction. This is mostly of concern for world class launchers.

Gerald
G_T is offline Find More Posts by G_T
Old Mar 15, 2012, 01:21 AM
Joined May 2002
16,985 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1607847

Build blog.

Its rough, but it may help someone on their build.