HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 13, 2011, 12:50 AM
Throw it like you hate it
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Apr 2007
3,035 Posts
i finally saw one of these at a contest this weekend. it was awesome! Kyle flew VERY well with it. he is a great pilot but i think the plane has great performance and compliments his abilities well. the plane was built immaculately, by both Kristof and Kyle. nice work both of you! this plane is definitely on my "short-list" now
paul
RCPC is offline Find More Posts by RCPC
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2011, 01:40 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,198 Posts
hi benjamin,

i use 0.5mm too , and 2x 60mm for the two way's is good (take the outher hole on the servoarm!)

i recommend using the 0.3 steel wire to go from servo to tail or at least use a small metal ring to connect the kevlar wire to the horn glued in the tail, i had a kevlar wire snapped on my elevator because it was cut by the horn!

i use a 0.3steel wire for the connection and it feels more solid thena kevlar wire...

you got a pm!

-kristof-

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebenj View Post
thank you Kristof,

it's the first time for me using one kevlar wire + spring.

can you tell me the size of your spring in your last picture?

i have a lot of 0,5mm "piano cord" and 1m of 0,3mm....

i'm praticing with the 0,5mm, and i think i need around 60mm long for the "to ways part". but the force change quickly with the lenghtH of this part.

with a 0,3mm diameter i should use a realy shorter lenght (so less weight) to have the same force.

several french guys are asking me about HELIOS. they ask me for you Email.
can you send me one by MP, or they must contact you here???

regards

Benjamin
krikkens is offline Find More Posts by krikkens
Old Sep 13, 2011, 01:43 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPC View Post
i finally saw one of these at a contest this weekend. it was awesome! Kyle flew VERY well with it. he is a great pilot but i think the plane has great performance and compliments his abilities well. the plane was built immaculately, by both Kristof and Kyle. nice work both of you! this plane is definitely on my "short-list" now
paul
i can honestly say the quality of the plane is up a notch now!

thanks

-kristof-
Old Sep 15, 2011, 04:20 AM
flying is not a dream
Spain, CT, Cardedeu
Joined Jan 2008
978 Posts
well,

my build is going well.
hope to be under 300gr...
lebenj is offline Find More Posts by lebenj
Old Sep 16, 2011, 03:41 PM
flying is not a dream
Spain, CT, Cardedeu
Joined Jan 2008
978 Posts
302 gr with CoG at 75mm from leading edge.
i had to add 20gr in the noise. and maybe i will have to add more tomorrow after the first flights...

a little bit desapointed, but just need wind to be ok!!

the boom is incredibly more strengh than my predator...
Old Sep 16, 2011, 05:28 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,198 Posts
Quote:
302 gr with CoG at 75mm from leading edge.
i had to add 20gr in the noise. and maybe i will have to add more tomorrow after the first flights...

a little bit desapointed, but just need wind to be ok!!

the boom is incredibly more strengh than my predator...
hi benjamin,

i don't build up my planes light either and come around 295-300 grams
it needs a 45gr battery pack to balance it out , i guess you are using lipo or life...

i also use the bigger servo's for elev and rud. but others use d47, they come out around 285 gr.

the nose is short and indeed the boom is very strong wich is good for high launches and great manuevrebility.

enjoy your'e maiden flight!

i rarely fly mine empty most of the time i'm carying 40 grams of ballast.

-kristof-
Old Sep 17, 2011, 01:26 AM
flying is not a dream
Spain, CT, Cardedeu
Joined Jan 2008
978 Posts
don't worry Kristof....
i'm really sure, helios will be very good.

in 1 hour ..... first flights
Old Sep 17, 2011, 08:27 AM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
2,845 Posts
Kristof, we are just on the planning stages of making something like you, to build a moulded wing with a solid core. When you do the layup, do you have to vacuum the skin like a hollow moulded wing? Or, do you just lay the skin on the 2 halves, put the core inside, and then close the mould?

Thanks,
Thomas
ThomasLee is online now Find More Posts by ThomasLee
Old Sep 17, 2011, 08:31 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLee View Post
Kristof, we are just on the planning stages of making something like you, to build a moulded wing with a solid core. When you do the layup, do you have to vacuum the skin like a hollow moulded wing? Or, do you just lay the skin on the 2 halves, put the core inside, and then close the mould?

Thanks,
Thomas
thomas,

no vacuum , just do the lay-up insert the cores and press it!

-kristof-
Old Sep 17, 2011, 08:37 AM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
2,845 Posts
Thanks!
I hope our attempts will look as good as yours one day =)

Thomas
ThomasLee is online now Find More Posts by ThomasLee
Old Sep 17, 2011, 09:02 AM
France, Midi-Pyrnes, Toulouse
Joined Sep 2005
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krikkens View Post
thomas,

no vacuum , just do the lay-up insert the cores and press it!

-kristof-
You said "press" the cores in the mold, but how do you mill the cores: exactly at the size of the mold or a little bigger to crush it ? If bigger how much ?
Regards
Loc
Blanco Loc is offline Find More Posts by Blanco Loc
Old Sep 17, 2011, 10:11 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanco Loc View Post
You said "press" the cores in the mold, but how do you mill the cores: exactly at the size of the mold or a little bigger to crush it ? If bigger how much ?
Regards
Loc
loic,

the cores are 0.4mm thicker.

-kristof-
Old Sep 17, 2011, 04:42 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,198 Posts
hi ,

pulled a disser only wing today and i'm happy with the result , it weigh's 116.5gr and is stiffer then expected (just slightly less then my other wings)

i didn't used a carbon torque tube on this one , instead i faced both aileron and wing with a layer of glass .

i expect to build a plane around 250 gr with that wing.

-kristof-
Old Sep 17, 2011, 05:28 PM
flying is not a dream
Spain, CT, Cardedeu
Joined Jan 2008
978 Posts
nice job...

my first 10 flights today...

INCREDIBLE!!! the throw is incredible.
more than 50meters after 5 throws!!! and with absolutly no wind.... i'm sure, i will make more than 60 meters shortly

[img][/img]

My CoG was still too back, but the flight were nice to trim the bird (only elevador).

the last flight of the picture was also the last flight of the day:
CRASH from around 15 to 20 meters high, very close to me....
i think it was due to a brownout of my AR6255 or maybe a fail of the regulador (too much load ?)
the big advantage of a kevlar pod: it cracks ans folds, but it stay in one piece.
it's already fixed, with a new LIPO, and a more forward CoG for tomorrow (but the weather will be bad, maybe rain in spain)

the 2 AR6255 antennas were outside the pod (one up one down). i change to one up and one left, like in my predator... were i've never met any borwnout.

thank you very much kristof....

i've played with my predator after the crash, and it was like throwing an Alula evo!!!
but one time in the sky, i really love my predator.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 06:43 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,198 Posts
Quote:
nice job...

my first 10 flights today...

INCREDIBLE!!! the throw is incredible.
more than 50meters after 5 throws!!! and with absolutly no wind.... i'm sure, i will make more than 60 meters shortly

[img][/img]

My CoG was still too back, but the flight were nice to trim the bird (only elevador).

the last flight of the picture was also the last flight of the day:
CRASH from around 15 to 20 meters high, very close to me....
i think it was due to a brownout of my AR6255 or maybe a fail of the regulador (too much load ?)
the big advantage of a kevlar pod: it cracks ans folds, but it stay in one piece.
it's already fixed, with a new LIPO, and a more forward CoG for tomorrow (but the weather will be bad, maybe rain in spain)

the 2 AR6255 antennas were outside the pod (one up one down). i change to one up and one left, like in my predator... were i've never met any borwnout.

thank you very much kristof....

i've played with my predator after the crash, and it was like throwing an Alula evo!!!
but one time in the sky, i really love my predator.
benjamin,

good to hear you like it so far , a crash really sucks , specially on a new plane!

i had the same problems as you have and i switched to futaba (took me 3 big crashes ....)

never had an issue with my futaba!

the kevlar is a bit harder to work with then glass but like you unforntunatly experienced it has the big advantage of keeping evrything togheter.

make sure you reinforce the nose well cause it get's serious load's during launch !!

hope it doesn' t happen again and i'm sure you will like how she fly's to once you got her dailed in.

succes!

-kristof-