SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 09, 2011, 06:44 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATOM_DK_F3K View Post
Damn .... That's high.
Maybe an indication of the Helios excellent design?

Just ordered a RAM3. Can't wait to test it!

thanks but credit need to go to gerald taylor for his airfoil design, the thin airfoil penetrates very well and that's the reason for the high launches...

-kristof-
krikkens is offline Find More Posts by krikkens
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2011, 09:12 AM
F3K is living
Danmark, Sjælland, Vemmelev
Joined Apr 2011
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krikkens View Post
thanks but credit need to go to gerald taylor for his airfoil design, the thin airfoil penetrates very well and that's the reason for the high launches...

-kristof-
Ohh, then ... Thank you too Gerald Taylor.

Was out again today. Very different conditions.
Windy 5 m/s, 10 m/s gusts. Increased to 7 m/s 15 in the gusts.

Man do the thermals move quick in these conditions. Started with the Mistral with 30g ballast. Did ok, but could not spot the thermals. Changed to the Helios w. 40g ballast. Haven't trimmed it to 80g yet.

No trouble spotting the thermals with the Helios, but as stated earlier, they moved very fast. Didn't want to risk damaging the Helios, so stopped quickly, as I'm not used to fly in these conditions, but no problems flying the Helios.

The Helios is way better than the Mistal in every department. Have a new Mistral waiting to be put together, but to tell the truth, don't think I'd bother. Have to wait for Helios #2 to arrive.
ATOM_DK_F3K is offline Find More Posts by ATOM_DK_F3K
Last edited by ATOM_DK_F3K; Jul 09, 2011 at 09:27 AM.
Old Jul 09, 2011, 09:54 AM
Make Flying Fun
United States, MD, Lutherville-Timonium
Joined May 2003
1,470 Posts
Enlightening huh ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATOM_DK_F3K View Post
Ohh, then ... Thank you too Gerald Taylor.

Was out again today. Very different conditions.
Windy 5 m/s, 10 m/s gusts. Increased to 7 m/s 15 in the gusts.

Man do the thermals move quick in these conditions. Started with the Mistral with 30g ballast. Did ok, but could not spot the thermals. Changed to the Helios w. 40g ballast. Haven't trimmed it to 80g yet.

No trouble spotting the thermals with the Helios, but as stated earlier, they moved very fast. Didn't want to risk damaging the Helios, so stopped quickly, as I'm not used to fly in these conditions, but no problems flying the Helios.

The Helios is way better than the Mistal in every department. Have a new Mistral waiting to be put together, but to tell the truth, don't think I'd bother. Have to wait for Helios #2 to arrive.
KevinSharbonda is online now Find More Posts by KevinSharbonda
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2011, 11:02 AM
F3K is living
Danmark, Sjælland, Vemmelev
Joined Apr 2011
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinSharbonda View Post
Enlightening huh ?
For sure!
ATOM_DK_F3K is offline Find More Posts by ATOM_DK_F3K
Old Jul 09, 2011, 12:57 PM
F3K
China, Shanghai
Joined Feb 2007
67 Posts
251ft?!!!
OMG,batman!!!
tasbori is offline Find More Posts by tasbori
Old Jul 09, 2011, 03:54 PM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,738 Posts
Perhaps I should start counting my launch height by how short of the top launchers I am... That way, at least the numbers will be increasing!

Gerald

PS - !@#$, that's high!
G_T is online now Find More Posts by G_T
Old Jul 10, 2011, 12:23 PM
Team Horizon Pilot :)
O H I O
Joined Jul 2007
1,497 Posts
251 huh
Gavin Trussell is offline Find More Posts by Gavin Trussell
Old Jul 10, 2011, 04:28 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Trussell View Post
251 huh
yeah same reaction here , wich i could launch like that...

-kristof-
Old Jul 10, 2011, 06:45 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,438 Posts
Dang that is high! I'm fairly certain I'm launching my Zone V2 to over 170' consistently now. It launches higher than the v1.5 which is a very high launching plane (20-30' lower than Oleg), but the v2 weighs more, the wing is stiffer and the entire plane is cleaner, all of which add up to higher launches.

I'm certain the Helios can launch even higher as it is likely stiffer than my v2 and the wing design is closer to Gerald's original than mine. In the computer Gerald's design has a bit better drag performance in high speed flight but my wing has a little bit better sink performance. It was a compromise I was willing to try as I feel the Zone can suffer a little in light conditions and I was designing for a more all around aircraft.

With lots of practice perhaps we can all launch to 250'!

-Sam
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Jul 11, 2011, 05:17 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,248 Posts
sam,

i was not there when they did those launches but there's a diffrence between letting it go till stall point or flat it out to start flying , i'll bet they just let it stall...but i'm not getting near those numbers anyway.

170 feet is my average too..

-kristof-

Quote:
Originally Posted by samc99us View Post
Dang that is high! I'm fairly certain I'm launching my Zone V2 to over 170' consistently now. It launches higher than the v1.5 which is a very high launching plane (20-30' lower than Oleg), but the v2 weighs more, the wing is stiffer and the entire plane is cleaner, all of which add up to higher launches.

I'm certain the Helios can launch even higher as it is likely stiffer than my v2 and the wing design is closer to Gerald's original than mine. In the computer Gerald's design has a bit better drag performance in high speed flight but my wing has a little bit better sink performance. It was a compromise I was willing to try as I feel the Zone can suffer a little in light conditions and I was designing for a more all around aircraft.

With lots of practice perhaps we can all launch to 250'!

-Sam
Old Jul 11, 2011, 05:25 AM
Jens Hoffmann
Danmark, Sjælland, Herlufmagle
Joined Jul 2006
406 Posts
Guys
It's not all about the plane/airfoil, a LOT of training,practice,skill,finetuning and some power that's what it takes, so don't worry if you only throw 170 feet. just stay sharp in the thermals and outfly the guys who threw 250feet.

"That's the way to practice those low level thermals" ;-) (Joe W.)
jensdk is offline Find More Posts by jensdk
Old Jul 11, 2011, 05:40 AM
Italy
Joined Jun 2004
205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krikkens View Post
sam,

i was not there when they did those launches but there's a diffrence between letting it go till stall point or flat it out to start flying , i'll bet they just let it stall...but i'm not getting near those numbers anyway.

170 feet is my average too..

-kristof-
I was there, was not convenient to leave the model stall after the launch because the laser altimeter used by the japan TM needs 3 seconds with the model very slow for the measurement. So, for obtain the best height, was necessary to avoid the stall and let the model flying under wind for 3 seconds.

Here the link of the laser, by the distance and the angle it calculate the height of the target:
http://www.nikon.com/products/sporto...50as/index.htm

I saw some people making movies/photos (probably from the Swedish team), should be interesting to see the different launch techniques.
gmo78 is offline Find More Posts by gmo78
Old Jul 11, 2011, 07:32 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,248 Posts
jens,

thinner wings should launch higher but indeed the technique is very important .

it's just how much speed you can give the model when releasing it, how the model is trimmed out and setup is important from there .

i see diffrence in guy's launching , some guy's rotate very quick so the model has a lot of speed during rotation and release , some people seem to rotate much slower and accelerate during the last 45-90° of the turn, you need power for that.

-kristof-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensdk View Post
Guys
It's not all about the plane/airfoil, a LOT of training,practice,skill,finetuning and some power that's what it takes, so don't worry if you only throw 170 feet. just stay sharp in the thermals and outfly the guys who threw 250feet.

"That's the way to practice those low level thermals" ;-) (Joe W.)
Last edited by krikkens; Jul 11, 2011 at 07:39 AM.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 07:40 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,248 Posts
new tail lay-up and vertical mount

hi ,

i have been experimenting with more traditional lay-ups to reduce some weight in the tail's .

the vertical has a carbon spar 3x1mm because ir suufer's the most from bad landings , also the bottom side has a spread-tow doubler also for the same reason.

both vertical and horizontal have a spread-tow band to improve stiffness

there's an extra layer of glass(50gr) on all tip part's to improve durability(hangar rash) .

new set' weigh around 11.5 gr/set , that's 1.5gr lighter then with previous lay-up.

also when the vertical was side mounted it tended to delam on hard (sideway's) landing's , beacause the skin couldn't take all the load of this.

i started to search for a lightweight fixture to prevent this .

found something, tested it and aproved it , weight gain is only 0.3gram.

-kristof-
Old Jul 16, 2011, 03:12 PM
Make Flying Fun
United States, MD, Lutherville-Timonium
Joined May 2003
1,470 Posts
Kudos again, how liking the carbon wing in flight and on arm strength ?
KevinSharbonda is online now Find More Posts by KevinSharbonda
RCG Plus Member