HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 22, 2011, 01:30 PM
Italy
Joined Jan 2005
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krikkens View Post
hi simone,

i don't understand , you didn't tried the helios rudder yet? are you now flying the swindell?

-kristof-
Sorry Kristoff, was a p.m. for Loeet about hi rudder, on the Helios I'm using Helios Rudder mounted in the right way.
Thank you
Simone
moonwalkerfj is offline Find More Posts by moonwalkerfj
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2011, 01:58 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonwalkerfj View Post
Sorry Kristoff, was a p.m. for Loeet about hi rudder, on the Helios I'm using Helios Rudder mounted in the right way.
Thank you
Simone
hi,

aahh ok it's making all more sense now , tell me what you think about loet's tail on the helios.

-kristof-
krikkens is offline Find More Posts by krikkens
Old Jun 23, 2011, 05:51 AM
Italy
Joined Jan 2005
70 Posts
Quote:
hi,

aahh ok it's making all more sense now , tell me what you think about loet's tail on the helios.

-kristof-
First of all I will try your rudder rudderless ;-).
Bye
Simone
Old Jun 23, 2011, 02:37 PM
COSMOPOLITAN
Joined Oct 2005
522 Posts
Quote:
Thank you
Simone
What Simone ? You're actually flying Belgian made gliders in Italy ? I guess it's OK since some of us in Belgium (and France) drive Italian made Ferraris

Enzo
ydevriendt is offline Find More Posts by ydevriendt
Old Jun 24, 2011, 12:05 AM
Italy
Joined Jan 2005
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydevriendt View Post
What Simone ? You're actually flying Belgian made gliders in Italy ? I guess it's OK since some of us in Belgium (and France) drive Italian made Ferraris

Enzo
I really would like to make a change, I will give you mine Helios for your Ferrari, is it Ok for you?
Kristof made that wonderful winglets for you, did you tested it?
Bye
Simone
Old Jun 24, 2011, 12:37 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,198 Posts
simone,

he doesn't have a plane to match those winglets....

Quote:
I really would like to make a change, I will give you mine Helios for your Ferrari, is it Ok for you?
Kristof made that wonderful winglets for you, did you tested it?
Bye
Simone
Old Jun 24, 2011, 05:54 AM
Italy
Joined Jan 2005
70 Posts
Quote:
simone,

he doesn't have a plane to match those winglets....
So this is the reason he is thinking to go fishing in Sweden....
Old Jun 26, 2011, 06:14 AM
Italy
Joined Jan 2005
70 Posts
This morning i did all my rudder test. With the original rudder rudderless it go straight like an arrow, with Loet rudder rudderless it go straight too, so in this case the problem schould be the rudder linkage. I used jr285 and fishing mtal wire for linkage, the original rudder has a big moving surface so my set-up is not enough, i will try with a rigid carbon pushrod after Sweden. Now I just need to put an altimeter inside and check the performance, my eyes estimated nothing less than my StoberV3 so near 70m.
Bye
Simone
Old Jun 26, 2011, 10:33 AM
COSMOPOLITAN
Joined Oct 2005
522 Posts
Quote:
This morning i did all my rudder test. Now I just need to put an altimeter inside and check the performance, my eyes estimated nothing less than my StoberV3 so near 70m.
Bye
Simone
Don't worry about your weak launches Simone , you still have one week to practise

Yves
ydevriendt is offline Find More Posts by ydevriendt
Old Jun 27, 2011, 06:48 AM
F3K is living
Danmark, Sjślland, Vemmelev
Joined Apr 2011
11 Posts
Helios now flying in Denmark.

I met Kristof at a competition in Tynaarlo Holland on the weekend of 4-5. June.
On the way back to the camping area after training, myself and 3 fellow pilots from Denmark, had to take a look at this new bird from Belgium.

The first thing that struck me, when looking at the plane, is the excellent build quality. Clean, sleek and most important, sturdy. I made up my mind that I had to get one.

There where allot of interest for the plane, and Kristof had brought some extra fuses and wings, but come Sunday, all had been sold, so I ended up buying his competition plane.

Yesterday I was finally ready to get this new bird in the air. Very little wind but overcast, as a warm front was moving in. I'm still new to F3K, so my friend dialed it in for me. I can really only say one thing ... WOW, what a machine! I'm not at skilled pilot, my throwing technique are still not good, but with this plane I can really get decent height on my throws. And man, are this plane able to cover some ground. It flies like a dream and I was finally able to stay longer in the air. The wind picked up in the late afternoon, but I had no difficulty controlling the plane or getting forward, due to lack of ballast.

2 fellow pilots, where also flying, so I was up against Sirius and Twister 2's, and with my poor skills I was able to stay up almost as long as they could!

With the light conditions, I was flying without ballast and the plane weighs 285g. Hyperion 09 servos in the wings, D47 for Elevator and Rudder. Started the CG at 71 mm, but after trimming it was moved to 75 mm, which I found out today, are suggested by others in this thread.

Good job on making this Excellent plane Kristof! No doubt in my mind, what will be my weapon of choice at my next competition!
ATOM_DK_F3K is offline Find More Posts by ATOM_DK_F3K
Old Jun 27, 2011, 03:38 PM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,535 Posts
Welcome to rcgroups!

Gerald
G_T is offline Find More Posts by G_T
Old Jul 05, 2011, 10:43 PM
Kyle Clayton
United States, VA, Dinwiddie
Joined Feb 2008
2,240 Posts
Thought I would "revive" this thread with a story from this afternoon.

I haven't flown the Helios's since the York Contest, close to a month ago now. I guess I was a bit burned out, as the York event was the conclusion of about 7 straight weekends of travel and contests. Plus, I had an issue with my elevator control horns, I put small fishing snaps on the strings where they attach so that the horns wouldn't eventually wear their way through the loop. With that mod, the snap swivels would pop off of the horn if the elevator was bumped just right. I almost lost #2 from that actually but fortunately and miraculously saved it somehow with pulling the flaps. So I had work that needed to be done that kept them grounded for even longer.

Fast forward to this afternoon and I am fortunate enough to get off with enough time to fly and all problems resolved. I decided to take the Helios's out to knock the dust off. I got about 20 minutes in with #1 and started getting back into the swing of things. After #1 had her turn, I went to #2. Second launch, I get a good launch in, cruise for abouth 30 seconds then hit lift. The lift was very nice and smooth this afternoon with a couple of really good boomers that would sky you out in a hurry. This bubble was nice and tame though. So I made a gentle turn back into it and got the bank angle set for her to fall right in the groove. I make about 3 passes on the merry-go-round and realize I havent touched the sticks to correct it or center the core better, she seems to be doing it all on her own. So I bump it into thermal mode (I rarely do that) and let it keep doing its thing. Next thing I know, the 2 minute countdown is beeping, and I still have yet to touch the sticks since I first settled her into the slot. The lift starts to mature and the Helios starts to open the turn up all on its own and starts making nice, large, very scale-like thermal turns while steadily gaining altitude. For the next 7 minutes and 38 seconds, I watch this plane thermal itself out with zero input on my behalf, making nice, perfectly balanced, self-correcting turns, coring itself out in this beautiful thermal. I could not have made it turn prettier than it was by itself if I tried. It was one of the purest, coolest moments I have ever had as a soaring pilot. Hands down it has gone right up there in the #1 RC memories box. Right before the 10 minute beep, I lost visual as the plane had climbed out unassisted to my estimate 1500'AGL or higher. I pulled the elevator to pull a loop, which then flashed it back into my veiw. After that, I figured she had had enough fun without me telling her what to do for nearly 10 minutes I brought her in and packed up for the afternoon. What could top a moment like that?

I cant help but think it must be setup about as good as its going to get Good thing it didnt lose power or signal. My bet is it wouldve hit the jet stream and be making tracks towards Sweden right now under it's own will had that happened. And from now on I know that if I do poorly in a contest, its because I'm over-flying the plane. After all, all it needed from me was to get it to height and point it in the right direction. After that, it already knew what it's job was
Wave Glider is offline Find More Posts by Wave Glider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wrong Skywalker
Old Jul 06, 2011, 03:17 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,198 Posts
hi kyle,

that's an amazing story , it just makes you feel good on the way home doesn't it

i have had simular moments but no where near ten minutes , one time i just let her go at about 20m height she made very large turns and i tought it needed some rudder trim , but i just left it as it was and let her go .

after about 2 minutes the turns wen't more narrow and more altitude was gained , then for some reason i i got back at the sticks and fllew the thermal myself , you're story just made me think about why i did this?

aahh those are the good moments , like when you find lift at 5 meter's height and be able to fly several minutes after you just where gonna come in.

-kristof-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave Glider View Post
Thought I would "revive" this thread with a story from this afternoon.

I haven't flown the Helios's since the York Contest, close to a month ago now. I guess I was a bit burned out, as the York event was the conclusion of about 7 straight weekends of travel and contests. Plus, I had an issue with my elevator control horns, I put small fishing snaps on the strings where they attach so that the horns wouldn't eventually wear their way through the loop. With that mod, the snap swivels would pop off of the horn if the elevator was bumped just right. I almost lost #2 from that actually but fortunately and miraculously saved it somehow with pulling the flaps. So I had work that needed to be done that kept them grounded for even longer.

Fast forward to this afternoon and I am fortunate enough to get off with enough time to fly and all problems resolved. I decided to take the Helios's out to knock the dust off. I got about 20 minutes in with #1 and started getting back into the swing of things. After #1 had her turn, I went to #2. Second launch, I get a good launch in, cruise for abouth 30 seconds then hit lift. The lift was very nice and smooth this afternoon with a couple of really good boomers that would sky you out in a hurry. This bubble was nice and tame though. So I made a gentle turn back into it and got the bank angle set for her to fall right in the groove. I make about 3 passes on the merry-go-round and realize I havent touched the sticks to correct it or center the core better, she seems to be doing it all on her own. So I bump it into thermal mode (I rarely do that) and let it keep doing its thing. Next thing I know, the 2 minute countdown is beeping, and I still have yet to touch the sticks since I first settled her into the slot. The lift starts to mature and the Helios starts to open the turn up all on its own and starts making nice, large, very scale-like thermal turns while steadily gaining altitude. For the next 7 minutes and 38 seconds, I watch this plane thermal itself out with zero input on my behalf, making nice, perfectly balanced, self-correcting turns, coring itself out in this beautiful thermal. I could not have made it turn prettier than it was by itself if I tried. It was one of the purest, coolest moments I have ever had as a soaring pilot. Hands down it has gone right up there in the #1 RC memories box. Right before the 10 minute beep, I lost visual as the plane had climbed out unassisted to my estimate 1500'AGL or higher. I pulled the elevator to pull a loop, which then flashed it back into my veiw. After that, I figured she had had enough fun without me telling her what to do for nearly 10 minutes I brought her in and packed up for the afternoon. What could top a moment like that?

I cant help but think it must be setup about as good as its going to get Good thing it didnt lose power or signal. My bet is it wouldve hit the jet stream and be making tracks towards Sweden right now under it's own will had that happened. And from now on I know that if I do poorly in a contest, its because I'm over-flying the plane. After all, all it needed from me was to get it to height and point it in the right direction. After that, it already knew what it's job was
Old Jul 06, 2011, 08:10 PM
Kyle Clayton
United States, VA, Dinwiddie
Joined Feb 2008
2,240 Posts
Quote:
hi kyle,

that's an amazing story , it just makes you feel good on the way home doesn't it
The best! Money well spent, a plane so well designed I dont even have to fly it!!

It's funny how little moments like that from pretty simple events can make memories that last a lifetime.
Wave Glider is offline Find More Posts by Wave Glider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wrong Skywalker
Old Jul 07, 2011, 02:46 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave Glider View Post
The best! Money well spent, a plane so well designed I dont even have to fly it!!

It's funny how little moments like that from pretty simple events can make memories that last a lifetime.
kyle,

sure it does , another example is when you join some large bird's and start cirkeling with them. i remember it well the first time that happend, you just feel "excepted" in their groups

maybe the short nose and centered mass have something to do with it , makes it turn really easy.
also the big rudder can have influenced , like it maybe was one click off causing the plane to cirkeling and "feeling" the thermal.

don't leave you're tx aside yet , once it get's more turbulent she might need some assistence from you

-kristof-