SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 17, 2011, 09:25 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,254 Posts
disser wing

hi,

the latest disser wing ....

this time i sprayed a clear coat on top of the pva to have a high gloss and closed surface .
result looks very good but it added 8-10 grams to the wing .

132.8grams

-kristof-
krikkens is offline Find More Posts by krikkens
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2011, 12:05 PM
Stezi
bavaria
Joined Mar 2007
9 Posts
very nice work!!
stezi is offline Find More Posts by stezi
Old Jun 17, 2011, 12:10 PM
Joined Apr 2009
350 Posts
wow ! i'd live with the extra weight if it looks as good as that, looks factory built from here, respect !
mrdoodah is offline Find More Posts by mrdoodah
Old Jun 17, 2011, 12:46 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoodah View Post
wow ! i'd live with the extra weight if it looks as good as that, looks factory built from here, respect !
that's what i'm trying to achieve, i think it looks the same from here too
Old Jun 17, 2011, 07:58 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,453 Posts
That is a seriously nice wing, 130g is nothing to complain about! The wings I've seen in person were factory quality as well, and this looks even a notch above them!
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:47 PM
Jim C
Joined Sep 2009
1,473 Posts
Is that the flying weight of the wing or do the servos and RDS still need to be installed?

Nice work btw
ShadowFalken is offline Find More Posts by ShadowFalken
Old Jun 18, 2011, 02:30 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFalken View Post
Is that the flying weight of the wing or do the servos and RDS still need to be installed?

Nice work btw
no servo's , if it was with servo's i would be more then happy with it!

overall it is a reasonable weight for this finish.

-kristof-
Old Jun 22, 2011, 06:43 AM
Italy
Joined Jan 2005
73 Posts
Tested the first this morning. I like it, I donít like the rudder, I think a larger one like Swindellís or new Stobelís is better, I can see the tail moving when I launch, this mean that wit a different rudder I can launch 9/10 m more. While I was testing the snap flap with Gerald Tailor system, I started climb doing looping, after 54 looping I decided to start turning the thermal ! 
When I launch it donít climb straight, it tend to turn nose up during the climb. I set it with reverse differential. It climb really high without any noise, it is really light on my finger during launch, easy to fly, now I need to fly more to discover it.
Bye
Simone
moonwalkerfj is offline Find More Posts by moonwalkerfj
Old Jun 22, 2011, 08:49 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,254 Posts
hi simone,

indeed the area of the rudder is an important factor on how high you can throw a plane , the helios rudder is 2.1 dm≤ wich is not small , i don't now the size of the swindell but i doubt it would be much larger.

in fact i think most vertical's are smaller then mine!

-kristof-

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonwalkerfj View Post
Tested the first this morning. I like it, I donít like the rudder, I think a larger one like Swindellís or new Stobelís is better, I can see the tail moving when I launch, this mean that wit a different rudder I can launch 9/10 m more. While I was testing the snap flap with Gerald Tailor system, I started climb doing looping, after 54 looping I decided to start turning the thermal ! 
When I launch it donít climb straight, it tend to turn nose up during the climb. I set it with reverse differential. It climb really high without any noise, it is really light on my finger during launch, easy to fly, now I need to fly more to discover it.
Bye
Simone
Old Jun 22, 2011, 09:10 AM
Joined Nov 2006
125 Posts
Simone, I think you are fooled by the width of the new Stobel rudder.

My rudder is 2.11 dm^2, let's say as big as the Helios rudder.

On the 2 pictures you see the 2 rudders (Tantalus/Stobel) on top of each other.
I would say that the Stobel is less in surface area (not much) than the Tantalus/Helios.

Maybe the thickness of the rudder is of importance. Mine are 6.2 mm thick, the once I had made out of balsa were 4 mm. The thinner rudder gave me more waggle and therefor less starting height.
I don't know about the thickness or airfoil or weight of the Helios rudder.

Loet
Loet Wakkerman is offline Find More Posts by Loet Wakkerman
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:43 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,254 Posts
loet,

the helios rudder is 5.7mm thick , edge foil .

also the distance from wing to vertical is very important but i don't excpect it to be diffrent comparing our models .

-kristof-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loet Wakkerman View Post
Simone, I think you are fooled by the width of the new Stobel rudder.

My rudder is 2.11 dm^2, let's say as big as the Helios rudder.

On the 2 pictures you see the 2 rudders (Tantalus/Stobel) on top of each other.
I would say that the Stobel is less in surface area (not much) than the Tantalus/Helios.

Maybe the thickness of the rudder is of importance. Mine are 6.2 mm thick, the once I had made out of balsa were 4 mm. The thinner rudder gave me more waggle and therefor less starting height.
I don't know about the thickness or airfoil or weight of the Helios rudder.

Loet
Old Jun 22, 2011, 01:04 PM
Italy
Joined Jan 2005
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krikkens View Post
hi simone,

indeed the area of the rudder is an important factor on how high you can throw a plane , the helios rudder is 2.1 dm≤ wich is not small , i don't now the size of the swindell but i doubt it would be much larger.

in fact i think most vertical's are smaller then mine!

-kristof-
The question is not the area but it distribution, the first to undersund this was Richard Swindell, the Stobel and the Concept had the same problem of Helios, when I told to Roland Sommer (builder of Concept) that a low aspect ratio rudder was better than a high aspect ratio rudder he told me that all software test show that I was wrong, I convinced him to make a test, he followed mine indication, same story for the Stobel, less height more chord is the way. Don't misunderstund me, my first impression of the Helios is great, but like evrithing it can be improved and the only thing that can be for me is the rudder. The fuselage is a beauty, strong and with a lot of space, the easiest to assemble ever for me.
Bye
Simone
Old Jun 22, 2011, 01:07 PM
Italy
Joined Jan 2005
73 Posts
I still not tested your rudder, i will do soon, as I told not area but chord is the problem. I'll let you know the results with your rudder, where have I to make the slot for the boom?
Thank you
Simone
Old Jun 22, 2011, 01:18 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,254 Posts
Quote:
I still not tested your rudder, i will do soon, as I told not area but chord is the problem. I'll let you know the results with your rudder, where have I to make the slot for the boom?
Thank you
Simone
hi simone,

i don't understand , you didn't tried the helios rudder yet? are you now flying the swindell?

you can make it where you wan't , some like to cut only the boom and not the vertical , you can also cut both pieces but don't cut the rudder spar! you can see were it is .

you now you have to mount it 0.65į degrees rotated , right? see supergee tailplan for more info.

http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl...2/sg2_tail.pdf

-kristof-
Old Jun 22, 2011, 01:19 PM
Joined Nov 2006
125 Posts
Quote:
I where have I to make the slot for the boom?
Thank you
Simone
I do it 115 mm the measured from the bottom.
Loet Wakkerman is offline Find More Posts by Loet Wakkerman