HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 17, 2011, 03:22 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,198 Posts
top-drive

hi,

maybe this is something you /other's like?

i build in some servo housing into the wing with channels for servowires and top-drive steering rod.

(bottom side of the wing pictures)

-kristof-

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchworker View Post
You have Kits with wings without RDS as far i know.
Then it would be cool to get an impression how much work is to do on such a wing.
shurely interesting for anybody interested in your kits.
i am.

p.
krikkens is offline Find More Posts by krikkens
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2011, 06:55 AM
Kyle Clayton
United States, VA, Dinwiddie
Joined Feb 2008
2,240 Posts
That is a very sweet idea, would make replacing a bad servo a dream!
Wave Glider is offline Find More Posts by Wave Glider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wrong Skywalker
Old May 17, 2011, 10:40 AM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Nov 2006
713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krikkens View Post
hi,

maybe this is something you /other's like? i build in some servo housing into the wing with channels for servowires and top-drive steering rod. (bottom side of the wing pictures)

-kristof-
Kristof,

You have my undivided attention, keep going, you are amazing and are doing great work. Your glider will be and is very desirable.
FD Pilot is online now Find More Posts by FD Pilot
Old May 17, 2011, 12:20 PM
Kyle Clayton
Joined Feb 2008
2,240 Posts
more pictures

Just wanted to post a few more pictures of the Helios. These are from the DESS F3K fundraiser 0ver the weekend, photo props to Oleg! The Helios flew great all day, they even got dubbed to be my new "superplane" by Ogo
RCG Plus Member
Old May 22, 2011, 01:30 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,198 Posts
hi,

i've made a mould for the servo cap's , decided to do a small bulge so i can use the most inner hole of the ds09 servoarm , because the zone wing is so thin it would be hard to get evrything completely within the wing .

on this wing the servo cap is seated flush with the surface of the wing .

-kristof-
Old May 22, 2011, 06:10 PM
Make Flying Fun
United States, MD, Lutherville-Timonium
Joined May 2003
1,422 Posts
Sweet !
KevinSharbonda is offline Find More Posts by KevinSharbonda
RCG Plus Member
Old May 22, 2011, 09:23 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Nov 2006
713 Posts
Kristof,

Like I've said before, you definitely have my attention. You address every issue expertly. The servo housings and servo caps are the latest example. Let us know when all of this cool stuff will be available in a Helios for purchase. Keep going!
FD Pilot is online now Find More Posts by FD Pilot
Old May 24, 2011, 02:13 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,198 Posts
full carbon

hi,

here are some pictures of the newest full carbon wing

-kristof-
Old May 24, 2011, 03:09 AM
Joined Nov 2008
264 Posts
hi,

The newest carbon wing WITH color now !
I will helps a lot for visibility. I remember Herten contest, it was sometimes difficult for me so see the plane.

See you at Anthisnes
Olivier
leroyo is offline Find More Posts by leroyo
Old May 24, 2011, 03:41 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,198 Posts
hi olivier,

yes i had problems with visibilty to that's why it needed the color, might do less paint on the next one , i have no idea what it weigh's witouth paint but i could guess there is 5 grams of paint on it...

wing weighs 146 gram(no servo's)

see you on sunday!

-kristof-

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyo View Post
hi,

The newest carbon wing WITH color now !
I will helps a lot for visibility. I remember Herten contest, it was sometimes difficult for me so see the plane.

See you at Anthisnes
Olivier
Old May 24, 2011, 03:43 AM
Italy
Joined Jun 2004
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krikkens View Post
hi olivier,

yes i had problems with visibilty to that's why it needed the color, might do less paint on the next one , i have no idea what it weigh's witouth paint but i could guess there is 5 grams of paint on it...

wing weighs 146 gram(no servo's)

see you on sunday!

-kristof-
146g is very good for a full carbon (80g/m^2) wing
gmo78 is offline Find More Posts by gmo78
Old May 24, 2011, 06:53 AM
Kyle Clayton
Joined Feb 2008
2,240 Posts
Looking sharp as usual Kristof! I took the Helios out to a contest this weekend and they performed very well in a wide range of conditions, from light rudder-only lift, to huge lift with bouts of sink that would sink a jumbo jet in between. Even still the max ballast I flew was 60g, which was plenty to tame the wild air. I had one midair that left my #2 with a gash on the right wing tip, but it was an easy fix. I just filled it with some very thickened epoxy/microballoons (less than 1g total epoxy used to fill it) and added plenty of carbon dust to the mix to make it blend in. When a throwing blade of another plane hits the leading edge of that d-box, it acts just like a knife blade!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 24, 2011, 07:01 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,198 Posts
kyle,

mid-air, that sucks , fortunatly it wasn't to bad and a foam core wing has a huge advantage to this, a hollow moulded can be a pain to repair i have noticed...

good to hear you like it!

-kristof-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave Glider View Post
Looking sharp as usual Kristof! I took the Helios out to a contest this weekend and they performed very well in a wide range of conditions, from light rudder-only lift, to huge lift with bouts of sink that would sink a jumbo jet in between. Even still the max ballast I flew was 60g, which was plenty to tame the wild air. I had one midair that left my #2 with a gash on the right wing tip, but it was an easy fix. I just filled it with some very thickened epoxy/microballoons (less than 1g total epoxy used to fill it) and added plenty of carbon dust to the mix to make it blend in. When a throwing blade of another plane hits the leading edge of that d-box, it acts just like a knife blade!
Old May 24, 2011, 07:30 PM
Kyle Clayton
Joined Feb 2008
2,240 Posts
Well, repair all finished and tested, strong enough to take a full launch and not flinch. Total repair added 0.3g to the wing's total weight Also after some more test and tune, and on the recommendation of some fellow pilots this weekend, I bumped the CG back to 75mm again. I really like it here now. The plane simply doesn't lie, if the tail lifts, its in lift, if it sinks, its in sink. It seems to stay aloft in almost nothing now. It also turns in lift much smoother, the tail doesnt seem to lag behind it. I didnt think that it would make that big of a change, but it really has. I believe my issues with this CG setting before were because I had way too much elevator throw and was using snap flap (no more) which made it extremely pitchy and wild on any stick input. Anyone willing to try this CG, I would recommend it, as it has made this already great plane feel like an even better machine!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 24, 2011, 11:52 PM
Antwerp (Belgium)
Joined Sep 2010
13 Posts
Hi Wave-Glider,
I've one set-up on 72mm and without ballast and slightly (1,5mm)flaps down it is a thermal machine. When I add ballast it seems to have a negative impact on his performance.
My second one has the CG on 75mm and even in gusty winds I can still mannage the lightest lift with 40gr(never more, it does not need it I think) ballast. My flaps are then only 0,5mm down, or less.
So I think also that you are right, this plane can have a CG which is on 75mm, only you need to set the flaps correct.
I still use snap-flap in Thermals.
Will see this weekend what we can do in the second national championship

PeterPe
PeetersP is offline Find More Posts by PeetersP