mccainml is offline Find More Posts by mccainml
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2011, 05:01 PM
specked out
USA, VA, Sutherland
Joined Sep 2008
241 Posts
Sure is Sweet looking!!

Kristoff if your not to fond of the looks I would definately be willing to take it off your hands!!
mccainml is offline Find More Posts by mccainml
Old Apr 20, 2011, 03:02 AM
France, Midi-Pyrnes, Toulouse
Joined Sep 2005
75 Posts
Kristoff,
What a great job !!!
The weight sounds really good for a full carbon wing with RDS and servo include.
What is the layup exactly? Only one layer of Textrem ? Or do you have any glass reinforcement on this wing ?
Loc
Blanco Loc is online now Find More Posts by Blanco Loc
Old Apr 20, 2011, 04:47 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanco Loc View Post
Kristoff,
What a great job !!!
The weight sounds really good for a full carbon wing with RDS and servo include.
What is the layup exactly? Only one layer of Textrem ? Or do you have any glass reinforcement on this wing ?
Loc
hi,

skin is only the spread-tow
krikkens is online now Find More Posts by krikkens
Old Apr 30, 2011, 12:09 PM
Kyle Clayton
United States, VA, Dinwiddie
Joined Feb 2008
2,438 Posts
Its about to get real...
Wave Glider is offline Find More Posts by Wave Glider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
Old May 01, 2011, 09:35 PM
Kyle Clayton
Joined Feb 2008
2,438 Posts
Time to get down to business

Well my Euro invasion has started! The Helios' arrived yesterday, and it was a bit anti-climactic at first sight. The box had sustained some heavy damage (shocking, I know) in transit. Fortunately, Kristof had packed the planes very well, so despite the courrier's best efforts, they sustained no damage All the parts are in great shape and craftsmanship is excellent. My only complaint is that one of the fuses was missing one wing bolt, but that can be easily replaced. The kits are abound with almost every hi-tech composite material available, kevlar and spread-tow fuse, spread-tow d-box with kevlar-disser wing skin, rohacell tails with spread-tow reinformencts and glass skin, its a DLG pilot's playground

Kristof has a very complete kit here, and has done 80-85% of the work for you already. If I wasnt so lazy, I could have these finished in about 3 hours a peice

More info later, stay tuned!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 01, 2011, 10:14 PM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2010
764 Posts
.........nice..........
NCDLG is offline Find More Posts by NCDLG
Old May 02, 2011, 12:46 AM
Joined Mar 2007
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krikkens View Post
hi,

new fuselage mould's are cut , the fuse can take 2 big servo's now (side by side)

and the canopy has a straight hinge line now so the canopy itself can be taped(hinge) and on the other side held by a magnet.

also the vertical can be mounted like on the drawings in post 1

now the fun part can begin , wet sanding and polishing!

last picture is the new wing on an old fuse.

-kristof-

What are the mold machined out of?? Thanks!
coltm16 is offline Find More Posts by coltm16
Old May 02, 2011, 02:59 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltm16 View Post
What are the mold machined out of?? Thanks!
hi, that's pu(poly urethane) toolingboard , designed for such purpose's , the one i used is necuron 1150
simular, more commenly used are: sikablock m940 and ebaboard pw920

-kristof-
Old May 02, 2011, 03:17 AM
Italy
Joined Jun 2004
206 Posts
Great work!
What about the weight of the winds?
gmo78 is offline Find More Posts by gmo78
Old May 02, 2011, 03:25 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmo78 View Post
Great work!
What about the weight of the winds?
the weight of the winds i don't know, the kevlar disser wing's weigh about 145 gram's (with rds installed)

-kristof-
Old May 02, 2011, 03:34 AM
Italy
Joined Jun 2004
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krikkens View Post
the weight of the winds i don't know, the kevlar disser wing's weigh about 145 gram's (with rds installed)

-kristof-
Yeah the wind is air so the weight is 1,297 kg/m .

145g is an impressive weight for the material used...
gmo78 is offline Find More Posts by gmo78
Old May 05, 2011, 12:02 AM
Kyle Clayton
Joined Feb 2008
2,438 Posts
Been silent, but actually working

Well I know its been a long pause in the build, but I've been at it everynight working on the two birds and taking lots of pictures to share!

So lets start at the beginning, weights. I weiged out all the parts and grouped the lighter items to be plane #1 and the heavier items to be #2. The results:
Plane #1; wing 143.4g, fuse 36.5g, stab 7.1g, vert 6.6g, servo tray 4.8g, ballast tube 2.0g
Plane #2; wing 152.1g, fuse 38.4g, stab 7.2g, vert 6.8g (not bad considering the extra spread tow on it!) servo tray 4.8g, ballast tube 2.3g

So all in all, approx 12g difference between the two when totally dry.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2011, 12:32 AM
Kyle Clayton
Joined Feb 2008
2,438 Posts
Starting on the wing

I actually jumped around quite a bit, but it makes the most since to go ahead and finish the wing since there is so little to actually do on them to have them done. I started first off by olugging in the servos and making sure they worked well. They moved very well with no binding or sitcky spots, so that was clear to go. After that, I clipped the wires short and made the wing plug. That being done, I also went on and made up the wing harness as well.

After that, the wing bolt holes needed to be drilled out. I was hoping that this was going to be done already, but it wasn't a hard task to do. The spots where the holes were meant to be were clearly visible on the bottom side of the wing, so then all I needed was a drill press. After those were drilled out, I countersunk the holes so that the provided wing bolts would sit flush and be clean in the air.

Then there's only one thing left to do to finish the wing, install the throw blade. For these two I wanted to try out some of Kevin Caldwell's curved blades. They are very strong blades and fit the fingers well. Once they were glued in and cured, I added a small 7/8" carbon doubler around the blades just for some extra insurance on that extremely thin wing tip.
RCG Plus Member