HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:07 AM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,440 Posts
I've been wondering how skis would work...thanks for the photos. Does it land well, or do the skis get caught up?
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:12 AM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,237 Posts
When I was stationed in Maine I flew with snow skies. It was a lot of fun, lots of rudder authority on the ground.
Ohio AV8TOR is offline Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:21 AM
Shut up and Fly!!!
United States, VA, Hartfield
Joined Aug 2011
1,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSE-Rious#6 View Post
This might be a lil off topic, but, this is an owners thread of EF EXP birds and I was curious to know if anyone has heard of the potential yak exp release? I remember looking around these forums a month or two ago and seeing a pic of a prototype. Not sure if it was a mock up or the real thing.
Yes there is such a thing as I saw the Yak 48" EXP prototype at SEFF. Not sure as to the release date. I assume that it is still in the R&D phase. You know how those EF guys are as they wait until they perfect a plane before release which is fine by me. Are you a member of Tidewater R/C? That is the club I belong too.
jw357_23043 is offline Find More Posts by jw357_23043
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:42 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
Man, I'm getting old, and I don't use facebook...I can't for the life of me remember any MXS photos that I took that would deserve such an honor...think you might be yanking my chain now.
Think I was wrong? Probably not your picture then. Whoever took the pictures that Chris's using on the website? it's one of those.. The backdrop Looks like Arizona desert?something like?
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:28 AM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
I've been wondering how skis would work...thanks for the photos. Does it land well, or do the skis get caught up?
It does land well... in the pick the top layer is kinda crusty but the skis handled it fine. Ive had my 48" in 6" before, and I think these would handle about that too. The rudder steers plane well in the snow.
bryansifsof44 is online now Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:26 AM
lost in the addiction of flyin
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Dec 2009
775 Posts
ducati i think this is the post with the photos your refering to

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=10694
furballll is offline Find More Posts by furballll
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:53 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,349 Posts
yes! thank you.. It's "Buzzed" that took the pictures. The one I'm using is a hover, belly shot.
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:12 AM
Like a boss!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Sep 2007
1,755 Posts
6s 5000?

Well, I found a different home for my Reaper 4s setup (or, rather, a different use for it's batteries) that seemed like it would of been a stretch on this plane but I still have an itch to purchase this airframe. I have a 6s power system in another plane that's getting long in the tooth and a good number of 6s 5000/5300mah lipos for my Trex 550. They are 20-35c lipos from China so aren't particularly light (probably an average of 850-875 grams).

So, now I'm going from thinking about trying to squeak by with the lightest possible setup to going with the heaviest recommended setup.

Anyone using this size/weight of lipos? Any CG problems and does the plane still retain a wide performance envelope or does it take a big hit in the 3D department with the higher wing loading? It no longer has to be a super light and floaty 3d machine (I just got a 3DHS 74" Edge for that) but I'd love to see it tearing up the sky and performing wicked tumbles with the extra momentum but still want rock free harrier when I do slow it down (I don't mind working for it a little with the heavier setup as long as it still retains good post-stall characteristics).

Looking forward to hearing any flight reports from people flying with this setup. Can't remember the Hacker model number for the motor that I'd be using but it's a solid 6s motor. Either way, I'd definitely be ending up with an AUW on the very top end of it's recommended specs (and great flight times) so am interested in hearing from others who set theirs up on the heavy side.

Thanks,
Ryan
AllBread is offline Find More Posts by AllBread
Last edited by AllBread; Dec 16, 2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:27 AM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,628 Posts
I am assuming for a 60 size plane... bigger batteries will make it harder to achieve 3D CG so weight of the motor will really come into importance, to heavy and it will be way nose heavy (not good for 3d or harriering around) Even with a light motor it will be a CG fight, IMO. My batteries are 535g (it will handle heavier) at the heaviest. No doubt it will fly and fly good, but I think 3d will be marginal.
bryansifsof44 is online now Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:45 AM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBread View Post
Well, I found a different home for my Reaper 4s setup (or, rather, a different use for it's batteries) that seemed like it would of been a stretch on this plane but I still have an itch to purchase this airframe. I have a 6s power system in another plane that's getting long in the tooth and a good number of 6s 5000/5300mah lipos for my Trex 550. They are 20-35c lipos from China so aren't particularly light (probably an average of 850-875 grams).

So, now I'm going from thinking about trying to squeak by with the lightest possible setup to going with the heaviest recommended setup.

Anyone using this size/weight of lipos? Any CG problems and does the plane still retain a wide performance envelope or does it take a big hit in the 3D department with the higher wing loading? It no longer has to be a super light and floaty 3d machine (I just got a 3DHS 74" Edge for that) but I'd love to see it tearing up the sky and performing wicked tumbles with the extra momentum but still want rock free harrier when I do slow it down (I don't mind working for it a little with the heavier setup as long as it still retains good post-stall characteristics).

Looking forward to hearing any flight reports from people flying with this setup. Can't remember the Hacker model number for the motor that I'd be using but it's a solid 6s motor. Either way, I'd definitely be ending up with an AUW on the very top end of it's recommended specs (and great flight times) so am interested in hearing from others who set theirs up on the heavy side.

Thanks,
Ryan
I assume u are still referring to the 64" MXS? If so u will have trouble achieving CG with those lipos. I do not use a separate lipo for my RX ( which would help in CG adjustment) but my 3800 Gens Aace lipo is touching the wing tube and I am still nose heavy. Am using stock power with the ESC'S as far aft as possible. To me, anything much heavier would start to take away from plane's abilities in 3D

HOWEVER,! If you just get this plane and pony up for the 3300 to 3800 lipos it needs you will forever be grateful. It is the best thingies have ever owned!

JUST DO IT,
YellowJacketsRC is online now Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:54 AM
Like a boss!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Sep 2007
1,755 Posts
Yep, just looked at the motor which and it's a Hacker A50-16s which weighs in at 370grams vs the recommended Torque motors 292 grams so unless there's a lot of room in the battery compartment to slide the batteries way aft it would get nose heavy (and heavy in general) fast with this setup.

I guess I'll hold out for the rumored 78" EXP!

Of course, I also have an older Torque 5s motor/esc laying around (Can't remember the model - used it in a 3DHS 55" Extra) and batteries aren't too expensive these days!

I do wish manufacturers would put the weight of just the airframe in with the specs in addition to projected and recommended AUWs (and maybe they do and I'm missing it). I know that everyone wants to sell a new power system with an airframe but it would make it easier to see how existing power systems (for some reason they usually last longer then the plane they were originally bought for) would work out on the wing loading and watts per pound charts to give us some idea of how it might fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead View Post
HOWEVER,! If you just get this plane and pony up for the 3300 to 3800 lipos it needs you will forever be grateful. It is the best thingies have ever owned!

JUST DO IT,
Also a very good point - I haven't been flying for a couple of years and forget that lipos are now dirt cheap! I'm away from the hobby for two years and now I feel like an old man in the lipos department, "Back in my day, a 6s 5000 cost you $400! Now you kids are paying $60 for them and still complaining!"
AllBread is offline Find More Posts by AllBread
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:28 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,440 Posts
Those photos by Buzzed are nice.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:40 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,165 Posts
Allbread!! Hey stranger long time no see
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Dec 16, 2012, 04:00 PM
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Mar 2008
3,638 Posts
Just uploaded a Video of my new Outlaw Electrified! So awesome!

Extreme Flight Outlaw! (5 min 16 sec)
bigmoebbq is offline Find More Posts by bigmoebbq
Old Dec 16, 2012, 04:39 PM
This is NOT a TOY?
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Jul 2011
2,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoebbq View Post
Just uploaded a Video of my new Outlaw Electrified! So awesome!
Sweet!
Hoping to snag one of these soon myself

Need to go on and cut you a gap in those trees on the right over there, and get it down on the deck
C_Watkins is offline Find More Posts by C_Watkins
RCG Plus Member