SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:23 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
Don't even bother looking at another plane till you have mastered that pattern plane.

The best 3d fliers are pattern fliers.
Bad advice if your goal is to have fun. Whether or not it is good advice if you want to be the best 3d flyer, I don't know.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:28 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,227 Posts
I had fun flying a pattern plane for a while. Lots of snap rolls and nice lines are fun for some people. For someone that wants to fly smooth and clean, the great practice you get from a pattern plane is fun. It's also very nice to fly a pattern plane because they fly sooo good.

Besides, with how much flying he says that he is doing, he will feel like he mastered it after a few weeks
hone1er is offline Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:35 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
I had fun flying a pattern plane for a while. Lots of snap rolls and nice lines are fun for some people. For someone that wants to fly smooth and clean, the great practice you get from a pattern plane is fun. It's also very nice to fly a pattern plane because they fly sooo good.

Besides, with how much flying he says that he is doing, he will feel like he mastered it after a few weeks
on days it rains i go out in between the rain, when it stops and throw up my TH edge. the other day id say i made at least 15 or so trips outside to fly. it would rain, then stop, then rain then stop. i would usually try to catch the plane by hand out of a hover right before timer on my dx8.just incase something got wet. pretty fun too.

i hope i can master it in a couple of weeks. i read somewhere with the pattern plane when you can slow roll the entire length of your field or a 10+ second slow roll, you know you have made it. lol im not planning to go that far with the pattern plane. i figured that i would fly it the majority of the time for awhile and break out a balsa 3d plane while batterys are charging, feel like something different, etc. until i feel like i get precision down pretty decent. especially rolls. im gonna be using the pattern plane to help improve my precision 3d.
wedoitall is offline Find More Posts by wedoitall
Last edited by wedoitall; Dec 14, 2012 at 01:41 PM. Reason: hillbilly grammar
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:42 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,386 Posts
Love my osiris, flew it yesterday along with the 51 slick and 57 extra, not my favorite plane, but I would only sell it to get the 62
3drcparts is online now Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:51 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
i was looking really hard at getting the 51 slick. but im gonna get an EF plane.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:59 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
sometimes i get to fly at work. my boss flys warbirds and just got a TH slick. just in a few minutes we are gonna go flying, ill still be on the clock. getting paid to fly. wish i could do that everyday. here lately averages out to about once a week we go flying at work.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:03 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
Bad advice if your goal is to have fun. Whether or not it is good advice if you want to be the best 3d flyer, I don't know.
Didn't chris get through telling you how rewarding it was to fly a perfect line flight about a week ago?
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:07 PM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedoitall View Post
sweet video. hey do you have any instructional videos floating around on youtube? your name looks familar. if so your video help me learn to pop top. if so , thank you kind sir.
Not many, but I do. And yeah, that was me if the name amd video line up. No problem

www.youtube.com/RCFlyboy14576

is my youtube channel.

--Tom K.
Tom K. is offline Find More Posts by Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12S on the 3DHS 74" Edge 540
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:23 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
+1!
Pattern planes are less forgiving, and take a more skilled hand.. Edge on low rates is the place to start, and you can draw just as clean a line with a Edge.
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:01 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Not many, but I do. And yeah, that was me if the name amd video line up. No problem

www.youtube.com/RCFlyboy14576

is my youtube channel.

--Tom K.
yeap i just looked back it was your video.

just got done flying at work. mostly practice'n hovers in the lot, we are right beside a school and the school kids seemed to like it. ha!
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:11 PM
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Apr 2012
634 Posts
I'm pretty sure Santa is bringing the 48" MXS. I was wondering if anyone out there has the plane would be so kind to post pics of the interior and the way the servos were setup. I'd actually appreciate any visuals you have just to make sure I don't screw things up. The directions didn't seem too bad, but the more visuals the better. Here is what I'm planning on throwing in it. Am I missing anything that you think I need to pick up? Also, they didn't mention epoxy other than just in the requirements. Not sure what I'd be epoxying - any insight is appreciated. Okay heres the list:

• Hitec HS-65MG rudder, and ailerons (3) and HS-85MG (Elevator)
• APC 12x6 E prop (not the slow fly version)
• Mercury M5T and M100XF and Mercury Glue Tips
• Covering Iron
• 30 Min Epoxy
• Silicon based glue (Zap-a-Dap-A-Goo)
• 2 x 18"-24" extensions for the 2 rear servos and 2 x 6"-8" extensions to go between the receiver and the aileron servo leads. We recommend the 28 or 32 AWG extensions to save weight.
TheMagician007 is offline Find More Posts by TheMagician007
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:56 PM
Gravity gets me down.
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,392 Posts
This is my "wish for" plane. It will happen.
helicow is offline Find More Posts by helicow
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:57 PM
Yin & Yang
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Jul 2011
3,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Avllino View Post
I'm pretty sure Santa is bringing the 48" MXS. I was wondering if anyone out there has the plane would be so kind to post pics of the interior and the way the servos were setup. I'd actually appreciate any visuals you have just to make sure I don't screw things up. The directions didn't seem too bad, but the more visuals the better. Here is what I'm planning on throwing in it. Am I missing anything that you think I need to pick up? Also, they didn't mention epoxy other than just in the requirements. Not sure what I'd be epoxying - any insight is appreciated. Okay heres the list:

Hitec HS-65MG rudder, and ailerons (3) and HS-85MG (Elevator)
APC 12x6 E prop (not the slow fly version)
Mercury M5T and M100XF and Mercury Glue Tips
Covering Iron
30 Min Epoxy
Silicon based glue (Zap-a-Dap-A-Goo)
2 x 18"-24" extensions for the 2 rear servos and 2 x 6"-8" extensions to go between the receiver and the aileron servo leads. We recommend the 28 or 32 AWG extensions to save weight.
Try this link for some great stuff http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1307687
Liberty10 is online now Find More Posts by Liberty10
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:00 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,349 Posts
Grab a couple of killer flights on my lunch break today the more I fly the laser the more I love it! Now that I'm using a futaba eight FG super, I feel more locked in than ever! I hate to say it, but that Hitech A9 was definitely holding me back..
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:03 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati mechanic View Post
grab a couple of killer flights on my lunch break today the more i fly the laser the more i love it! Now that i'm using a futaba eight fg super, i feel more locked in than ever! I hate to say it, but that hitech a9 was definitely holding me back..
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg