SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:03 AM
can't buy vaporware
7oneWo1f's Avatar
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,517 Posts
So, it being winter, I get to work on all of the skills I need work on, in the simulator. I am trying slow rolls, decided low rates were more productive. However, I don't fly with low rates, so I need to figure out what I am going to do. I tried all on one switch. That seems good, except I don't like the switch I put it on.

So, I'd like to know if you guys selectively put surfaces on low rates (different switches) or just go all for one. By you guys, I mean the ones who can and do fly 3D and precision style flying in one flight, while using high/low rates.

I've also been working on my rolling harriers...and am getting the timing down so that it doesn't look so wobbily...finally. Only to the left still, but I can keep them going for quite some time.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 02:25 AM
bryansifsof44's Avatar
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
Is this what you are looking for?
http://www.towerhobbies.com/products...futk9410m.html

Let me introduce you to the Futaba 14SG at $600 (before discounts)
...it is Futaba with Telemetry!
Everything minus the iPhone style touch screen... this is news to me. How much do the telemetry receivers run? Looks like I may be switching back to futaba in the near future, but the downside is its double what the Hitec goes for.
bryansifsof44 is online now Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2012, 06:51 AM
VOLTS > AMPS
stgdz's Avatar
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,867 Posts
Lots of speed helps on slow rolls.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:01 AM
OOPS
Manta1's Avatar
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
Lots of speed helps on slow rolls.
looks cool too esp if you are on deck.
Manta1 is online now Find More Posts by Manta1
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:07 AM
Justin S
justinsebastian's Avatar
United States, NC, Mt Holly
Joined Nov 2010
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post
Everything minus the iPhone style touch screen... this is news to me. How much do the telemetry receivers run? Looks like I may be switching back to futaba in the near future, but the downside is its double what the Hitec goes for.
They only have the r7008sb right now with telemetry. It comes with the 14sg and 18mz, and it's $150 by itself.
justinsebastian is online now Find More Posts by justinsebastian
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:20 AM
JKasprak
propchief's Avatar
Fayetteville, NC 28304
Joined Jan 2010
854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
So, it being winter, I get to work on all of the skills I need work on, in the simulator. I am trying slow rolls, decided low rates were more productive. However, I don't fly with low rates, so I need to figure out what I am going to do. I tried all on one switch. That seems good, except I don't like the switch I put it on.

So, I'd like to know if you guys selectively put surfaces on low rates (different switches) or just go all for one. By you guys, I mean the ones who can and do fly 3D and precision style flying in one flight, while using high/low rates.

I've also been working on my rolling harriers...and am getting the timing down so that it doesn't look so wobbily...finally. Only to the left still, but I can keep them going for quite some time.
I just leave the rates on high rate. I do have enough expo that the sticks aren't sensitive. It just takes some practice to get used to small movements. Also the aircraft speed is higher and that takes some getting used to. Simulator should make quick work of this.
John
propchief is online now Find More Posts by propchief
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:54 AM
VOLTS > AMPS
stgdz's Avatar
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,867 Posts
I've never been able to find a model that I like on a simulator.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:22 AM
Registered User
mp.stumpy's Avatar
Germany
Joined Dec 2010
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
I've never been able to find a model that I like on a simulator.
Good thing is you can tweak them until you like em at least that works great on RealFlight. Have one for the 60" Edge and already have one for my 91" Extra (allthough i donīt know if it will fly like that until the extra will be in the air). When we finish our website update i will put them in the download-section.

Greetings from Germany

Marcel

www.stumpy3.de
mp.stumpy is offline Find More Posts by mp.stumpy
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:42 AM
Shut up and Fly!!!
jw357_23043's Avatar
United States, VA, Hartfield
Joined Aug 2011
1,005 Posts
Hey guys,
Looking for a cheap used 48" EXP air frame that isn't in too bad of shape. Would like an Edge but will take what I can get. I can order one but I want something cheap to practice really low stuff and not worry about losing a lot of money.
jw357_23043 is offline Find More Posts by jw357_23043
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:52 AM
EXTREME FLIGHT's Avatar
United States, GA, Cumming
Joined Feb 2004
2,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
So, it being winter, I get to work on all of the skills I need work on, in the simulator. I am trying slow rolls, decided low rates were more productive. However, I don't fly with low rates, so I need to figure out what I am going to do. I tried all on one switch. That seems good, except I don't like the switch I put it on.

So, I'd like to know if you guys selectively put surfaces on low rates (different switches) or just go all for one. By you guys, I mean the ones who can and do fly 3D and precision style flying in one flight, while using high/low rates.

I've also been working on my rolling harriers...and am getting the timing down so that it doesn't look so wobbily...finally. Only to the left still, but I can keep them going for quite some time.
If you really want to become proficient at precision aerobatics it is imperative that you set up low rates. I am probably in the minority, but I use individual switches for each surface. I would suggest doing this until you find the amount of travel that works best for you, then you can put them all on a single switch if you desire. For low rates I typically set up 10 degrees elevator, 20 degrees rudder and enough aileron to allow me to get a clean and pretty fast snap roll. I like a fast aileron response and want the aircraft to have a good break and fast autorotation, especially on an upline snap. This makes it easer to maintain heading after exiting a vertical snap.
As boring as it may sound, start just trying to fly a straight line parallel to the runway while maintaining depth and altitude. At the end of the line focus on pulling to a vertical upline, exactly 90 degrees, wings level with a consistent radius and draw a straight vertical line. Do a stall turn at the top of the line and focus on keeping the aircraft falling straight down. Pull to upright exit using the same radius as you did entering the vertical line. You will be surprised how difficult this is to do consistently, but it is the basic building block for learning precision flight.
EXTREME FLIGHT is offline Find More Posts by EXTREME FLIGHT
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:06 AM
Shut up and Fly!!!
jw357_23043's Avatar
United States, VA, Hartfield
Joined Aug 2011
1,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREME FLIGHT View Post
If you really want to become proficient at precision aerobatics it is imperative that you set up low rates. I am probably in the minority, but I use individual switches for each surface. I would suggest doing this until you find the amount of travel that works best for you, then you can put them all on a single switch if you desire. For low rates I typically set up 10 degrees elevator, 20 degrees rudder and enough aileron to allow me to get a clean and pretty fast snap roll. I like a fast aileron response and want the aircraft to have a good break and fast autorotation, especially on an upline snap. This makes it easer to maintain heading after exiting a vertical snap.
As boring as it may sound, start just trying to fly a straight line parallel to the runway while maintaining depth and altitude. At the end of the line focus on pulling to a vertical upline, exactly 90 degrees, wings level with a consistent radius and draw a straight vertical line. Do a stall turn at the top of the line and focus on keeping the aircraft falling straight down. Pull to upright exit using the same radius as you did entering the vertical line. You will be surprised how difficult this is to do consistently, but it is the basic building block for learning precision flight.
Chris,

+1 i still have the low rates you programmed from SEFF. Sure is much harder than it looks but does help in the long run. Anybody can fly erattic (self included) but precision will certainly hone your skills even though I still suck at 3D.
jw357_23043 is offline Find More Posts by jw357_23043
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:38 AM
EXTREME FLIGHT's Avatar
United States, GA, Cumming
Joined Feb 2004
2,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw357_23043 View Post
Chris,

+1 i still have the low rates you programmed from SEFF. Sure is much harder than it looks but does help in the long run. Anybody can fly erattic (self included) but precision will certainly hone your skills even though I still suck at 3D.
It is certainly much more challenging than most would think, but having the discipline to focus and practice precision flying will really improve your skills.
EXTREME FLIGHT is offline Find More Posts by EXTREME FLIGHT
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:41 AM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Irg's Avatar
United States, NY, Alfred
Joined Apr 2009
7,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREME FLIGHT View Post
If you really want to become proficient at precision aerobatics it is imperative that you set up low rates. I am probably in the minority, but I use individual switches for each surface. I would suggest doing this until you find the amount of travel that works best for you, then you can put them all on a single switch if you desire. For low rates I typically set up 10 degrees elevator, 20 degrees rudder and enough aileron to allow me to get a clean and pretty fast snap roll. I like a fast aileron response and want the aircraft to have a good break and fast autorotation, especially on an upline snap. This makes it easer to maintain heading after exiting a vertical snap.
As boring as it may sound, start just trying to fly a straight line parallel to the runway while maintaining depth and altitude. At the end of the line focus on pulling to a vertical upline, exactly 90 degrees, wings level with a consistent radius and draw a straight vertical line. Do a stall turn at the top of the line and focus on keeping the aircraft falling straight down. Pull to upright exit using the same radius as you did entering the vertical line. You will be surprised how difficult this is to do consistently, but it is the basic building block for learning precision flight.
+1

regarding aileron rate, if you have triple rate capability it's nice to have a low rate, snap rate as suggested above, and high 3D rate. that's my setup and I also have every surface on a different switch.
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:43 AM
This is NOT a TOY?
C_Watkins's Avatar
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Jul 2011
2,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREME FLIGHT View Post
It is certainly much more challenging than most would think, but having the discipline to focus and practice precision flying will really improve your skills.
Whenever I get my 78" replaced, I might actually setup some low rates and try to work on 'smooth' some.
Maybe I can talk you into flying it once or twice to help me get it dialed in
C_Watkins is offline Find More Posts by C_Watkins
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:48 AM
Shut up and Fly!!!
jw357_23043's Avatar
United States, VA, Hartfield
Joined Aug 2011
1,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREME FLIGHT View Post
It is certainly much more challenging than most would think, but having the discipline to focus and practice precision flying will really improve your skills.
What really helps with my precision flying is the rewards program offered by Extreme Flight. Which I will claim in April after I take the podium in the IMAC event I signed up for in April. Will be flying my 70" EXP with Barbie instead of Pilot X!
jw357_23043 is offline Find More Posts by jw357_23043
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cool New - Extreme Flight 60" Edge 540T EXP!!! hercdriver7777 3D Flying 10908 Today 08:45 PM
Sold Extreme Flight Extra EXP 48 RTF HKC3 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Dec 15, 2010 10:47 PM
Sold 48" Edge EXP Extreme Flight, make offer crazyflyin Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 9 Sep 14, 2010 07:45 AM
Sold Extreme Flight EXP Extra 48inch (Red n Black) HKC3 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Sep 12, 2010 02:43 AM
Sold Extreme Flight Edge 540 EXP Rc_heli_flier Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 4 Sep 01, 2010 12:51 PM