SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:38 AM
United States, GA, Cumming
Joined Feb 2004
2,334 Posts
That video was amazing MLT! Made my eyes water (guess I'm getting soft in my old age ;-) Definitely a triumph of the human spirit.
EXTREME FLIGHT is offline Find More Posts by EXTREME FLIGHT
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:41 AM
United States, GA, Lawrenceville
Joined Jun 2003
7,565 Posts
Good work guys..Just to add its equally important to maintain a proper diet while training and sufficient rest. They all play a part.
livinma1 is offline Find More Posts by livinma1
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:47 AM
It's just a hobby
USA, GA, Hoschton
Joined Nov 2005
10,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREME FLIGHT View Post
That video was amazing MLT! Made my eyes water (guess I'm getting soft in my old age ;-) Definitely a triumph of the human spirit.
You weren't the only one that teared up.
MLT67 is offline Find More Posts by MLT67
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:50 AM
This is NOT a TOY?
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Jul 2011
2,558 Posts
Got an Airborne friend sitting beside me that really enjoyed that one, too.
Thanks for the link.

(And for reminding me that I need to drop 50+ and think about living a bit better, myself. )
C_Watkins is offline Find More Posts by C_Watkins
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:32 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,857 Posts
The words that struck me were, "How am I going to help him?"

Transformation begins from within, but is perpetuated by determination and support. It's easier when at least two people care. If you can't do it yourself, fine someone to do it with. If you know someone who can't do it, it's only because they can't do it alone. Helping them will transform your life too.

We have a young man that just became a club member. He has severe learning disorders and flying has begun a transformation in this child's entire life, from a social and a learning perspective. Perhaps it is the focus, or perhaps it is just something else to obsess about, but his parents are amazed as to what has happened in just a few months. We'll see how it goes, but I think he'll be giving Tom some competition for the club's Top Gun Award very soon.
Aeroplayin is online now Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:32 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,349 Posts
Great stuff MLT! For me its all about portion control, and not eating past 8pm!

I was 200lbs a few years ago, and due to a Repaired Knee(Two three inch screws holding it together), I could hardly get threw a eight hour day of work, and i was always in pain. Now that I'm down to my Ideal weight of 170lb, I can work over time again, I stay on my feet twice as much, and I'm in half as much pain..
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:44 AM
Joined Jun 2003
7,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati Mechanic View Post
Great stuff MLT! For me its all about portion control, and not eating past 8pm!

I was 200lbs a few years ago, and due to a Repaired Knee(Two three inch screws holding it together), I could hardly get threw a eight hour day of work, and i was always in pain. Now that I'm down to my Ideal weight of 170lb, I can work over time again, I stay on my feet twice as much, and I'm in half as much pain..
yippee can quote Tim again without all the extra work.

It is certainly all about portion control and for some not eating a certain type food past a certain time. Also about understanding how many calories you need to consume daily to either maintain your current weight or gain weight.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:55 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,479 Posts
Great vid! I am on the opposite end of the spectrum, but nonetheless really need to get my ass to the gym.

Im only 29 and am already falling apart. I cant even turn to check blind spots while driving, unless I go to a chiro 3+ days a week. Shattered left elbow, arm has remained so weak I constantly dislocate left shoulder... I gotta do more to work out, it is the only thing that is going to help in the long-run.

Ironically, I do give credit to all that for helping me find this wonderful hobby. No longer able to play golf without extreme pain, I was getting cabin fever and had to find something to get me out; but I do know there is a lot more I should be doing to improve my condition.

For the most part, my focus has been on my gastro-problems (Celiac, ulcers, duodenal erosion, etc) so that I "feel" better, but I really need to start looking at the big picture....
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snuggles Speaks
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:05 PM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post
The words that struck me were, "How am I going to help him?"

Transformation begins from within, but is perpetuated by determination and support. It's easier when at least two people care. If you can't do it yourself, fine someone to do it with. If you know someone who can't do it, it's only because they can't do it alone. Helping them will transform your life too.

We have a young man that just became a club member. He has severe learning disorders and flying has begun a transformation in this child's entire life, from a social and a learning perspective. Perhaps it is the focus, or perhaps it is just something else to obsess about, but his parents are amazed as to what has happened in just a few months. We'll see how it goes, but I think he'll be giving Tom some competition for the club's Top Gun Award very soon.
Had a similar situation at our field this year... had someone come out that had always had an interest in learning to fly. He was 550 lbs, and doctors had not given him much longer to live. He was on a very strict diet to lose about 75 lbs, and then to undergo heart surgery and stomach bypass surgery in an effort to keep him alive and losing weight. Prognosis was not very good. He was pretty down on himself. Had lost his job due to the health complications, which all stemmed from a heart arrythmia. That led to the weight gain. So, he wanted to fly figuring he didn't have long to live. Me and a few others worked a lot with him, taught him to fly, helped him into a 3dhs 47" Extra that a fellow club member had, and eventually onto a used 59" Slick as well. All within a couple months.
His spirits lifted tremendously from the flying and the camaraderie at the club. He lost the 75lbs, survived the surgery, and went on to lose another 50 lbs or so afterwards. Then he moved away.
Anyways we got to see him over the thanksgiving holidays, he is now down over 200 lbs from the original weight and looks fantastic. Can walk unassisted and has a new lease on life. It was great to be able to know him and watch the progress! Very inspirational and I'm glad I could help someone get healthier.
ryan_m is online now Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:10 PM
Joined Jun 2003
7,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_m View Post
Had a similar situation at our field this year... had someone come out that had always had an interest in learning to fly. He was 550 lbs, and doctors had not given him much longer to live. He was on a very strict diet to lose about 75 lbs, and then to undergo heart surgery and stomach bypass surgery in an effort to keep him alive and losing weight. Prognosis was not very good. He was pretty down on himself. Had lost his job due to the health complications, which all stemmed from a heart arrythmia. That led to the weight gain. So, he wanted to fly figuring he didn't have long to live. Me and a few others worked a lot with him, taught him to fly, helped him into a 3dhs 47" Extra that a fellow club member had, and eventually onto a used 59" Slick as well. All within a couple months.
His spirits lifted tremendously from the flying and the camaraderie at the club. He lost the 75lbs, survived the surgery, and went on to lose another 50 lbs or so afterwards. Then he moved away.
Anyways we got to see him over the thanksgiving holidays, he is now down over 200 lbs from the original weight and looks fantastic. Can walk unassisted and has a new lease on life. It was great to be able to know him and watch the progress! Very inspirational and I'm glad I could help someone get healthier.
That is great Ryan. This is what the hobby is about man. Glad to hear how much you guys chipped in to help out what he thought was a dying mans wish. The hobby and of course you guys gave him the will to live and loose the weight he needed to loose.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:17 PM
It's just a hobby
USA, GA, Hoschton
Joined Nov 2005
10,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinma1 View Post
yippee can quote Tim again without all the extra work.

It is certainly all about portion control and for some not eating a certain type food past a certain time. Also about understanding how many calories you need to consume daily to either maintain your current weight or gain weight.
This is a great web site for meal plans and tracking your calories - you can download an app for your smartphone as well. You enter the food you eat and it tells you how many calories you have consumed and how many you have left for the day. Very helpful

http://www.sparkpeople.com

I also use an app called "Runkeeper" to track my running - it uses the GPS in my iPhone to tell my my distance, overall time, pace, splits - etc.

http://runkeeper.com

MLT
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:36 PM
TEAM EXTREME!
High Prairie, WA
Joined Nov 2007
1,713 Posts
Congratulations MLT! Keep up the good running and flying!
danielph is offline Find More Posts by danielph
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:57 PM
zürich
Joined Jun 2008
1,074 Posts
-eat 3 times a day, nothing between
-give your body what it needs: fresh vegetables, good meat and fish, boild carb, oil, minerals
-eat slow and enjoy what you eat. never think food is not good for you.

forget the calories counting, get a feeling for yourself and make your system stronger. dont measure your weight.
take time to reduce the weight.
dont run if you are fat. walk as much as you can at the speed you feel good. trekking in the mountain is great.

dont eat industry food: note that calories do not reflect whats going on.
good oil is essential, heated and hardened fat is very bad.
dont eat carb for dinner.

eat 3 times a day and nothing between is the key.

its a pleasure going from all the business-sh..-food to sushi and such
long leng is offline Find More Posts by long leng
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:06 PM
It's just a hobby
USA, GA, Hoschton
Joined Nov 2005
10,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by long leng View Post
-eat 3 times a day, nothing between
-give your body what it needs: fresh vegetables, good meat and fish, boild carb, oil, minerals
-eat slow and enjoy what you eat. never think food is not good for you.

forget the calories counting, get a feeling for yourself and make your system stronger. dont measure your weight.
take time to reduce the weight.
dont run if you are fat. walk as much as you can at the speed you feel good. trekking in the mountain is great.

dont eat industry food: note that calories do not reflect whats going on.
good oil is essential, heated and hardened fat is very bad.
dont eat carb for dinner.

eat 3 times a day and nothing between is the key.

its a pleasure going from all the business-sh..-food to sushi and such
Actually, as a diabetic, I have to eat more than three times a day - in fact I eat 6 times a day to keep my glucose levels consistent. As for not running when your fat - guess I've been doing that all wrong as well.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:43 PM
The wind caused that!!
United States, OK, Poteau
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
i'm just 41 years old. was in pretty good shape before this injury. can't walk but around 100 yards before the pain kicks in so bad i can't go any more. can't lift anything over 20 pounds. can't stay on my feet for very long, can't sit for very long. it makes it hard to get any exercise.

i do what i can, and am trying to stay positive about things. it's getting better, but slowly. i've probably gained 25 pounds since my injury.

i can tell ya one thing tho, i'm gonna get better. i'm going to continue doing what i want to do. i'm not gonna let this stuff get me down. one day at a time.

now back to our regular topics!!!!! WHEN'S THE NEW YAK COMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hoghead5150 is offline Find More Posts by hoghead5150