HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:54 PM
can't buy vaporware
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,486 Posts
Change of subject...I received a PM regarding Extreme Flight planes from a new pilot who seems further along than I was when I got an Extreme Flight plane...but, at what point do you all recommend a person switch from 4 channel planes to a 3D plane? And which plane? I said most people would recommend the Edge, but I got the Extra (after a 3DHS Super Vyper). One thing about the Edge, assuming it is as floaty as I think it will be, it might be more difficult for somebody to land unless they were using a floaty trainer.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:15 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,628 Posts
I recommend it as soon as it is what they want. So long as they can successfully and consistently fly and land a T-28.

When I do help someone make the transition to 3d, I will typically just tone down the rates significantly to make it as tame as any PZ plane. Once their confidence is up, start adding throw.
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nice Pic
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:33 PM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,650 Posts
48" Edge is as good as it gets for a first 3D plane. In fact, even as an accomplished pilot that's one of my all-time favorite airplanes.
cwojcik is online now Find More Posts by cwojcik
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:38 PM
JKasprak
Fayetteville, NC 28304
Joined Jan 2010
844 Posts
The Edge is easy to land. If the CG is too far aft (where many 3D flyers prefer) it can be floaty. However I find the stability and control benefits of the design regardless of the CG position. It's super easy to harrier and fly at post stall speeds so that might be a consideration too.
propchief is online now Find More Posts by propchief
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:39 PM
JKasprak
Fayetteville, NC 28304
Joined Jan 2010
844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwojcik View Post
48" Edge is as good as it gets for a first 3D plane. In fact, even as an accomplished pilot that's one of my all-time favorite airplanes.
I'd agree as well!!
propchief is online now Find More Posts by propchief
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:54 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
7,109 Posts
+1... I'm not an accomplished pilot, but I learned what I know on that plane. I put the battery further and further back, and fly exclusively tail heavy and on high rates now, and find it much easier to land when I put a click of down trim when I turn off my idle switch before landing. It's a lot easier to hold off a plane than get your brain to push the stick when you are under 4 feet off the runway.
Aeroplayin is online now Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:45 PM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
1,002 Posts
Quote:
+1
I'm back in the hobby about 8-10 months now and the 48" Edge (mind you it was a 3DHS Edge so the EF will likely be equal or better) was my first balsa 3D and it was a huge confidence booster. Still wrapping myself around it and having a blast. I'm looking for more solid lines now so there's a 60" EF Extra on the bench. The post that said tone down the throws is right on. I'm teaching my 6 year old girl with a TH EPP Edge with minimal throws and high expo and she's doing great! You can always tune down a 3D airframe but you can seldom tune "up" a trainer!
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:54 PM
United States, GA, Lawrenceville
Joined Jun 2003
7,567 Posts
Quote:
+1 I love my 48 inch edge.. Speaking of that gotta go find the prop adapters so I can get her back in the air.
livinma1 is offline Find More Posts by livinma1
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:01 PM
3D Addict
Merrimac, MA
Joined Jan 2006
1,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
Change of subject...I received a PM regarding Extreme Flight planes from a new pilot who seems further along than I was when I got an Extreme Flight plane...but, at what point do you all recommend a person switch from 4 channel planes to a 3D plane? And which plane? I said most people would recommend the Edge, but I got the Extra (after a 3DHS Super Vyper). One thing about the Edge, assuming it is as floaty as I think it will be, it might be more difficult for somebody to land unless they were using a floaty trainer.
I had a 68-in velox after a seagull 3d harrier . So after suffering with a brick and getting a real plane it was easy.

It is interesting how most people want a 48 size - but they are harder to fly. I like the full fuse foam in that class for confidence going low, but I have spent enuff on balsa 48's to get a 50-cc class plane.
alfabeast is offline Find More Posts by alfabeast
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:43 PM
aka ECAA3D
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Apr 2012
1,154 Posts
I'm getting my dad a EF 48" Edge 540 for Christmas. I really wish it had been my first 3d plane. It flies so easy and good and natural it's unreal. THe 60"Extra was a bit intimidating at first.
m0dest is offline Find More Posts by m0dest
Last edited by m0dest; Nov 23, 2012 at 11:54 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:12 AM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
I'm going to be the disenting opinion and recomend the laser. While the edge has the floaty and harrier entry down the laser is by far the most stable bird in alpha of the EF planes. That tall rudder on the plane over rules the straight LE the edge.

It feels a little slower than the extra and the mxs. I think its the side profile though.
I learned 3D on the mxs though.

Oh and another big thing I think people miss these days is the absolute basics of aerobatic flight and getting them down so that they are absolutely perfect. A lot of people just finish off a T-28 and want to jump rite into the 3D planes. A T-28, Vanq MKII, and then 3d plane would probably be a better route. The vanq is obviously set up for low rates of course.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:29 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,303 Posts
Anyone know if the rudder on the 88'' Edge can be removed for transportation? I want to see if i can squeeze it in a '99 Camry. Losi said his brother can get a 89'' Slick in a Ultima along with a few other planes. I'd love to get a 50cc gasser for a weekend flyer but not if it means getting a trailer.....maybe it's time to get a bigger car.
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:32 AM
The wind caused that!!
United States, OK, Poteau
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
may be me that we are discussing!!

i've only been flying for a little over 5 months. i'm older (41 years old) and am wanting to get into a more aerobatic plane that i can do some mild aerobatics with and eventually get into some 3d stuff. nothing hard core, at least not for a while.

i have the eflite apprentice that i can fly, do basic aerobatics with (very basic!). i have no problems landing it, flying it, and basically just have fun with. i also have the parkzone albatros. this biplane has taught me alot! this plane has to be flown all the time. rudder use is mandantory as it just doesn't look right if not used. it's taught me to pay alot more attention. how and when to use rudder in turns, how to crosswind land with rudder.

while i know these plane are NOTHING like a extreme flight planes, i'm pretty confident that i could fly one. i've flown the umx sbach, PZ t-28, big stick, and buddy boxed on a couple aerobatic planes and did fine with them.

i realize that i'm not going to go out and be pulling all the tricks like i've seen some seasoned fliers pull off, i'm more looking at being able to fly patterns with the plane, and slowly learning aerobatics. i know a foam plane would probably be best to learn on, but i just can't stand the look of the flat foamy planes. i have enough sense to not go out and try blenders or pop tops or any of the other cool names of the moves i've watched videos of. i'm looking for quality, and something i can grow and learn on all the while LOOKING scale!!
hoghead5150 is offline Find More Posts by hoghead5150
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:34 AM
This is NOT a TOY?
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Jul 2011
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
Anyone know if the rudder on the 88'' Edge can be removed for transportation? I want to see if i can squeeze it in a '99 Camry. Losi said his brother can get a 89'' Slick in a Ultima along with a few other planes. I'd love to get a 50cc gasser for a weekend flyer but not if it means getting a trailer.....maybe it's time to get a bigger car.
No, the rudder on the 88" Edge is not removeable by default.
I've seen people do that mod to other planes which didn't have removeable rudders though
I'd 'assume' you could mod this one that way if you wanted.
C_Watkins is offline Find More Posts by C_Watkins
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:36 AM
The wind caused that!!
United States, OK, Poteau
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
oh yeah, i have probably 200 hours on the phoenix sim flying aerobatic planes. i know this doesn't really translate good, but it has helped me with orientation.
hoghead5150 is offline Find More Posts by hoghead5150