SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:48 PM
This is NOT a TOY?
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Jul 2011
2,586 Posts
Troybuilt Models has the 7950TH's at a good price right now.
486 oz-in at 7.4v. Not shabby.
This is actually what's in my 91" Yak and they seem quite solid to me on straight 2s lipo.

Obviously I'm not flying as hard as some folk... but I don't cut a plane a whole lot of slack, either.
Just ask my motors and batteries. Lots of WOT, into poptops, and tumbles... plus KE spins and blenders.
I frequently get the remark that I'm lucky Extreme Flight builds such good planes
C_Watkins is offline Find More Posts by C_Watkins
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:01 AM
aka ECAA3D
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Apr 2012
1,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Watkins View Post
This is actually what's in my 91" Yak and they seem quite solid to me on straight 2s lipo.

Obviously I'm not flying as hard as some folk... but I don't cut a plane a whole lot of slack, either.
Just ask my motors and batteries. Lots of WOT, into poptops, and tumbles... plus KE spins and blenders.
I frequently get the remark that I'm lucky Extreme Flight builds such good planes
+1
It trips some people out.
m0dest is offline Find More Posts by m0dest
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:33 AM
can't buy vaporware
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,517 Posts
Quote:

That troybuilt, I might have to buy from them just because they put that awesome test video up.

Hitec HS-7950TH Torque Test (385 oz-in) - TBM Product Overview (0 min 46 sec)
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:17 AM
Yin & Yang
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Jul 2011
4,401 Posts
Wow. 1 servo pulling 4.4 amps. constant. It hit 6A briefly. 5 of those will eat up some power.
Liberty10 is offline Find More Posts by Liberty10
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:14 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,352 Posts
Quote:

They also have the best price on 7955tg's, andat servo city they only cost a couple dollars more.

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/HS7955.html

C Watkins, you should Install one on your 78" Extra's, Rudder also! 7955's on the aileron, and rudder are the best upgrade I've done.
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:07 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,742 Posts
How much flight time will you expect to get off those Rx batteries? Will they last longer than one 8 minute flight?
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Boom Smoke!
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:57 PM
This is NOT a TOY?
Joined Jul 2011
2,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
How much flight time will you expect to get off those Rx batteries? Will they last longer than one 8 minute flight?
Are you talking about the servo test there, showing the draw?
Keep in mind that the high draw shown is basically in a stalled condition.
This is not the way the majority of your flight goes, for most folk

After 2 ~6-minute flights on my ~22lb electric Yak full of 7950's, I don't think I've ever put back more than ~800mAh into a 2s2p 3000 lipo, worst case.
With bigger/heavier planes, more servos, harder flying, longer flights... of course the usage could be much higher.

On my 64" MXS with DS3711's I am comfortably getting 4 flights on a 2s 850mAh.
Could probably push that a bit... but I generally take two of those batteries with me anyhow, so I just swap it out if I get to fly more than 4 flights.

Of course you can charge the receiver battery in one while flying another one, too.
With today's batteries, putting a few hundred mAh back into a 2s lipo doesn't take very long at all
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:02 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
I've been running two 3s 800mah(12.v) packs in parrellel, feeding a BEC pro, regulated down to 8V. With five full size HV servos(200Torque), I can fly, ten to twelve, seven minute flights(plus screwing with setup in between).. I replace app. 250mah Per pack, and The HV servos actually heat up my two 3s 30C packs! So I can imagine you need to stay on top off smaller 2s packs with these new super torque servos
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:09 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,742 Posts
Wow, much more time than I had assumed...
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Boom Smoke!
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:29 PM
United States, GA, Lawrenceville
Joined Jun 2003
7,567 Posts
Quote:

After 2 ~6-minute flights on my ~22lb electric Yak full of 7950's, I don't think I've ever put back more than ~800mAh into a 2s2p 3000 lipo, worst case.
With bigger/heavier planes, more servos, harder flying, longer flights... of course the usage could be much higher.

Could probably push that a bit... but I generally take two of those batteries with me anyhow, so I just swap it out if I get to fly more than 4 flights.

Of course you can charge the receiver battery in one while flying another one, too.
With today's batteries, putting a few hundred mAh back into a 2s lipo doesn't take very long at all
The same 2s packs I used for my foamy is the same batteries I use for my 60 inch on HV servos. Since I have 15 of those packs its never an issue. Every 3-4 flights I swap them out.
livinma1 is offline Find More Posts by livinma1
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:32 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinma1 View Post
The same 2s packs I used for my foamy is the same batteries I use for my 60 inch on HV servos. Since I have 15 of those packs its never an issue. Every 3-4 flights I swap them out.

I do that for my 60" planes also. With 5245's, eight flights hardly put a dent in one 2s 280mah pack, regulated by a castle cc bec, and set it at 6.2V.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:36 PM
This is NOT a TOY?
Joined Jul 2011
2,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinma1 View Post
Sweet! (I still have to get Crack Yak some day soon.)

I usually bring 2 planes, sometimes 3, so I rarely fly one more than 3-4 times.
I don't often bother to check the voltage.(Probably a bad habit) I just swap out after 4 flights.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:53 PM
United States, GA, Lawrenceville
Joined Jun 2003
7,567 Posts
It makes sense Tim... I will have to do what you do and run my 3s packs in parallel for 8 volts regulated on a BEC for my 72 SC.

@ Chris - You are more then welcome to give mine a pull when ever you want. Unfortunately I stripped a rudder servo 2 weeks ago just fixed it after 25 flights I stripped the aileron servo :-( today.
livinma1 is offline Find More Posts by livinma1
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:38 PM
Yin & Yang
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Jul 2011
4,401 Posts
I hate blind nuts

Quote:
Could probably push that a bit... but I generally take two of those batteries with me anyhow, so I just swap it out if I get to fly more than 4 flights.l
Since I have both 2S and 3S in the 500mha range I use the 3S regulated to 7.4V on my 64" MXS. 4 flights on 3S/500mah leave 43-50% so 5 flights would be no issue but I change at 4 as routine. I also have telemetry with an alarm set on the battery voltage.

Anyway as you may have noticed by the headlineI hate blind nuts I don't even know what happened but 1 of the wing BLIND NUTS stripped when putting on my wings today. (64" MXS)
OK So I really do not want to go home without flying SOoooo. I shoved a longer screw up through the blind nut and secured it with a Collet and a little CA for good measure. Now the planes in the LVRM with one wing still on it

Oh boy I really hope my LHS has some replacements BLIND NUTS for me tomorrow. No seriously they have always given me troubles. Might just be me but that's how it is. I'm hoping this isn't too big a pain to remove. I usually get them out with a small easyout jammed in and twisted all about if that doesn't work I'll get the hammer drill out... Yea... that should do it I need a beer
Liberty10 is offline Find More Posts by Liberty10
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:47 PM
can't buy vaporware
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,517 Posts
Quote:
Yeah. I haven't tested the servos in the video, but based on servos I have tested, the servos will suck a *lot* of current for a very short time even with no load, the even with a load, the current will go down back to something you would think is reasonable, assuming you haven't stalled the servo.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f