HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:18 AM
Registered User
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
guys, what is general concensus about mks servos?had nothing to do, surfed their site, micro servo, 0.05 sec @6v, a bit better torque than savox 0257 or hitec mg65...(freakishly expensive but 0.05sec!)

than quite affordable hv standart size servo with more than 400oz torque and 0.09sec...
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:42 AM
fly low, fly fast, fly 3d
nathan100's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Luton
Joined Dec 2011
564 Posts
my grandfather all so got me into this hobby i remember building gliders from an early age. we used to build everything from paper airplanes to boats to the big gliders that were made from balsa and powered by rubber bands
god rest his soul
nathan100 is offline Find More Posts by nathan100
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:34 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
Aeroplayin's Avatar
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
guys, what is general concensus about mks servos?had nothing to do, surfed their site, micro servo, 0.05 sec @6v, a bit better torque than savox 0257 or hitec mg65...(freakishly expensive but 0.05sec!)

than quite affordable hv standart size servo with more than 400oz torque and 0.09sec...
If you are talking about the MKS DS95-i, they are a little bigger in height and may not fit in the wings of the 48 EXPs. They are expensive probably because they are coreless, digital, chrome-titanium, heli servos, and heli servos need to be precise enough to synchronize. Ir's not that you can't use them in airplanes, but the only time I saw them used was because they were less expensive then the airplane counterpart. They probably get $90 for them because they may be the inexpensive competition to the very expensive JR.

Aside from perhaps being too deep and too expensive, the torque is no better than the $25 analog 65MG at .11 secs, or the digital $32 Savox 0257 at .09 secs... and the $32 Savox 0255 has something like 14 oz-in more torque than all three. The 65MG's are even cheaper on HK now too.
Aeroplayin is offline Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:36 AM
They Call him Dead!
YellowJacketsRC's Avatar
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,736 Posts
What does Coreless mean?
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:41 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
Aeroplayin's Avatar
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead View Post
What does Coreless mean?
They accelerate faster... coreless motors have a rotor that is made without an iron core, which means torque is only exerted on the windings.
Aeroplayin is offline Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:45 AM
They Call him Dead!
YellowJacketsRC's Avatar
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,736 Posts
So is there basically empty space where the core would normally be?
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:52 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
Aeroplayin's Avatar
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead View Post
So is there basically empty space where the core would normally be?
From Wiki... I've never analyzed one myself.

The rotor can take the form of a winding-filled cylinder, or a self-supporting structure comprising only the magnet wire and the bonding material. The rotor can fit inside the stator magnets; a magnetically soft stationary cylinder inside the rotor provides a return path for the stator magnetic flux. A second arrangement has the rotor winding basket surrounding the stator magnets. In that design, the rotor fits inside a magnetically soft cylinder that can serve as the housing for the motor, and likewise provides a return path for the flux.
Aeroplayin is offline Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:12 AM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Tom K.'s Avatar
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,582 Posts
Flux? You mean the flux capacitors, right?

--Tom K.
Tom K. is offline Find More Posts by Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12S on the 3DHS 74" Edge 540
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:14 AM
Registered User
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post
If you are talking about the MKS DS95-i, they are a little bigger in height and may not fit in the wings of the 48 EXPs. They are expensive probably because they are coreless, digital, chrome-titanium, heli servos, and heli servos need to be precise enough to synchronize. Ir's not that you can't use them in airplanes, but the only time I saw them used was because they were less expensive then the airplane counterpart. They probably get $90 for them because they may be the inexpensive competition to the very expensive JR.

Aside from perhaps being too deep and too expensive, the torque is no better than the $25 analog 65MG at .11 secs, or the digital $32 Savox 0257 at .09 secs... and the $32 Savox 0255 has something like 14 oz-in more torque than all three. The 65MG's are even cheaper on HK now too.
but the whole point of using them would be that torque is comparable to 0257 ormg65, but they have around double speed... but yeah, thinking reasticially, only place would be aelerons in EF planes... so technically, they have comparable torque, double speed ,(should) have excelent centering, and double the price...


but about savox 0255... i think i will convert my mxs rudder to 0256, which is WAAAAY slower, but nearly doubles torque of 0257 and testament of its strenght to me was that it survived 2 times when i landed my 42" on rudder...
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:23 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
Aeroplayin's Avatar
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Flux? You mean the flux capacitors, right?

--Tom K.
Only if you're building a time machine, Dr. Emmett Brown.

Current and Flux are interchangeable terms in physics.
Aeroplayin is offline Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:52 AM
Registered User
shadow102's Avatar
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,317 Posts
if i didnt have so many hs65mg's or a set of 5065mg's i would love to give these a try

http://www.alofthobbies.com/kst-ds215-servo.html
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:56 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
Ducati Mechanic's Avatar
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,349 Posts
Torque motors, the perfect solution for any plane!

This isn't a 3D plane, and its not a EXP, BUT!!, it is powered by a torque motor and ESC package so I thought I would share..

Most people don't know, That torque motors come with a solid prop mount, and a shaft collet adapter as well. It's very easy to use your torque motor for many applications by pushing the shaft through the body, and using the collet adapter. Because the torque motor is so versatile you can use it in your 3D plane, a high wing, or even a warbird like I did. I even checked over the application, and believe it wouldn't be a problem to mount one inside a PA style motor box.

Thanks to my 820 KV torque motor, and 45 amp air boss speed controller I was able to build a Fast, and reliable stunt jug. Because I saved so much weight, I was able to run retracts, that add to the performance when closed. Torque motors always help you to take it to the next level!

Next time you're picking out a motor for another manufacturer's airplane , take a second Look at torque motors. Extreme flight carries motors for almost every application!

Check out my video it was filmed in one long clip, no edits from takeoff to landing, And I'm pretty sure there's a few moves in there that you've never seen a p47 jug do before. Having four ailerons mixed with the flaps helps a bit..

Parkzone p47 "One trick jug" (5 min 45 sec)



Btw, Cody's high wing stunt trainer was the inspiration for this project.
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Last edited by Ducati Mechanic; Oct 28, 2012 at 12:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:08 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
Doc Austin's Avatar
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,662 Posts
Totally sick, Tim.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:19 AM
Registered User
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
how can you say no, when a kid is begging you to try airplane saying that dad lets him fly helis... im thinking next time i see him,ill let him taxi around...(or a stupid idea? maybe beter let him crash a crak yak to prove that he cant fly? )
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:24 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
Doc Austin's Avatar
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
how can you say no, when a kid is begging you to try airplane saying that dad lets him fly helis... im thinking next time i see him,ill let him taxi around...(or a stupid idea? maybe beter let him crash a crak yak to prove that he cant fly? )
He will probably be ok if he can handle a heli, but I'de sure use a buddy cord.

The weirdest thing I ever did was teach a deaf heli pilot to fly airplanes. He was a really good heli pilot and he picked it up fast..... once he learned not to push the stick forward in level flight like you do to make a heli go forward.

He could not hear me when, or look to read my lips when I would give him instruction. Worse, he kept pushing down elevator to go up, and there were several really close moments. In the end, I soloed him after three flights.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cool New - Extreme Flight 60" Edge 540T EXP!!! hercdriver7777 3D Flying 10555 Today 01:01 PM
Sold Extreme Flight Extra EXP 48 RTF HKC3 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Dec 15, 2010 09:47 PM
Sold 48" Edge EXP Extreme Flight, make offer crazyflyin Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 9 Sep 14, 2010 06:45 AM
Sold Extreme Flight EXP Extra 48inch (Red n Black) HKC3 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Sep 12, 2010 01:43 AM
Sold Extreme Flight Edge 540 EXP Rc_heli_flier Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 4 Sep 01, 2010 11:51 AM