SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:22 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
Thankfully all the gear from one will work in the other, so you can fly one intil you want something different and then get the other, and then maybe an Extra. I've flown all the 60s and they are all incredible planes. The MXS is the best plane I have ever owned, and the 60" Extra is a very close second. I plan to build a 60" Edge, but I have been spending the money on those other two planes and my 48s. When I have some funding I definately plan to get a 60" Edge.
Thanks Doc. I'm really wanting one of these bad boys...yes, funding is underway. Very nice indeed! I will investigate the MXS for sure now. Appreciate the advice.
uptime4downtime is online now Find More Posts by uptime4downtime
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:26 PM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
7,087 Posts
Thanks Tim!
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:27 PM
This is NOT a TOY?
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Jul 2011
2,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead View Post
Packing tape? Huh, I woulda never thunk....

Yes I can get the cracks to line up where you can almost not see it...

But really, packing tape will keep it there longer than glues of some sort?

PS I was using one strap like I do with the 60 edge. I then put in a total of three straps!
Tape will work.
I do have two large (88" Yak) canopies that have been repaired from the inside with glue, though. One with Welders, one with canopy glue.
Both were worse breaks than yours, and both have held up to the vibrations of a gasser through quote a few flights.

DM may be thinking of CA glue... which wouldn't be good for the canopy, no.
C_Watkins is offline Find More Posts by C_Watkins
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:28 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly View Post
nice flying, who has been doing donuts on your driveway?
not sure, its the local township hall.

Quite a difference in weather compared to yesterday
rain or shine I fly music (4 min 11 sec)

Again nothing special

Also thank god for telemetry tonight. Grabbed a pack I thought was charged and telemetry went off within the first climb. Brought it down and sure enough a low pack.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:28 PM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
7,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptime4downtime View Post
Thanks Doc. I'm really wanting one of these bad boys...yes, funding is underway. Very nice indeed! I will investigate the MXS for sure now. Appreciate the advice.
I see your a foamy Jeti Master. Have you flown any 3D Balsa planes?

If not I would suggest you start with the 60 Edge. It is the most stable and predictable of all. It will do absolutely anything you can, but is just more stable in 3D flight than the others due to the straight Leading edge of the wing. It will practically harrier itself while you have tea
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:41 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,119 Posts
Thanks Dead. Appreicate the advice. I will follow it. Yes, love the foamies, and have 48" Skywing, (and Sbach coming)- and have most of the Telink 38-44". My only balsa was the 3DHS 41" Edge 540 Buck Huck... but I was newish to 3d and sold her off.

I'm liking the sound of the Edge, then looks like the MXS following on. I've almost worn out the Telinks (but that takes a lot, and they are not dead yet). I can't get over the roll rate and mighty tumble/spin ability of these planes. Super keen on one. Thanks for that tip.

Quick question, what do you think of the blue and yellow scheme? I actually like it, but wondered visability wise if the red/white/blue is more popular?

RealFlight 6 just turned up in a box... oh dear...flies great... now to hunt down some EF models
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:42 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,312 Posts
Quote:
If not I would suggest you start with the 60 Edge. It is the most stable and predictable of all. It will do absolutely anything you can, but is just more stable in 3D flight than the others due to the straight Leading edge of the wing. It will practically harrier itself while you have tea
All of this is true.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:14 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,867 Posts
IMHO if you are going for the MXS just get a laser MXS combo and be done with it.

The laser locks in so well for hovering and harrier its not even funny and the mxs, that is one crazy all out fast plane but will slow down with the rest of the exp's. The laser edges it out in alpha though due to its stability.

Course I can't fly the edge worth stink though.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:18 PM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,360 Posts
tried the speed tips on the laser this past weekend...yep leaving those on. With the laser if you entered harrier flight too fast it would go into a wing rock, i couldnt even force the plane into a wing rock. Roll rate decreased and i need to figure out KE spins as it kept falling out of them, just need more time though. Overall i like it better.
shadow102 is offline Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:19 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,119 Posts
Yes, just been looking at the Laser. 48" right? I was thinking 60" just due to stability, size etc, but for me, shipping a 48" over is certainly going to be more cost effective. Just think a 60" would be so cool to own after flying smaller planes. I've never flown anything over 48" expect on sims... I'm deprived I know!! I'd be happy with anything along these lines tho. I will consider the 48" as well. Thanks
Last edited by uptime4downtime; Oct 15, 2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:43 PM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
7,087 Posts
60 Edge is WAY more stable than any of the 48's.

I love the blue scheme and prefer it to the RWB (Just taste). But the RWB is easier to see. The Blue and yellow is not bad, the underneath is very visible, but the RWB is just better....
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:06 PM
Huckin around the Shire
USA, NH, Manchester
Joined Jun 2010
1,356 Posts
I sold my Blue/Yellow 60" just because of the visibilty on overcast days. I want a 88" in the Red/Blue/White scheme.

Clear "speed" tape is what aviation mechanics use worldwide for 500+mph jets. Tape is a good thing. I patched up my 71" electric slick canopy using fiberglass on the inside after I forgot to strap in the battery once.
Enterprise7 is offline Find More Posts by Enterprise7
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:40 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise7 View Post
Clear "speed" tape is what aviation mechanics use worldwide for 500+mph jets. .
I'll bet that stuff would be good for the tips of SFGs.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:52 PM
can't buy vaporware
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,522 Posts
Quote:
60 Edge is WAY more stable than any of the 48's.

I love the blue scheme and prefer it to the RWB (Just taste). But the RWB is easier to see. The Blue and yellow is not bad, the underneath is very visible, but the RWB is just better....
Cool. I am hoping to fly this one lower and closer to the rest. But my red MXS and yellow MXS are great for flying, except when the sun is getting close to the horiozon, and then I don't think any plane would be good.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:16 AM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise7 View Post
I sold my Blue/Yellow 60" just because of the visibilty on overcast days. I want a 88" in the Red/Blue/White scheme.
Yes, I would have done the same. I too like to get good visibility. Makes flying that much more enjoyable, especially on overcast days. Thanks.