to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:28 AM
can't buy vaporware
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,486 Posts
Time elapsed
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Last edited by 7oneWo1f; Oct 09, 2012 at 01:11 AM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:16 AM
can't buy vaporware
Joined Nov 2011
8,486 Posts
1. On the 91" Extra coming out...how many servos for the ailerons?

2. How hard is it to set up a gas airplane, compared to a 60"?

3. On a DA50/60/70, can you run avition gas in it, and if so, what are the benefits?

4. Is using gasoline with ethonal a no-no?

5. Will it come with wheels? (Reading the manual on the 88"...)

6. Roughly how much are the "extras", such as special electronics, failsafes, etc.?

7. Will the cowling be mounted like the 88" (external bolts) or using internal bolts?

Guess I should just go pook around flyinggiants...
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:29 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,303 Posts
8. Would a DLE-55 be sufficient?
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:47 AM
TEAM EXTREME!
High Prairie, WA
Joined Nov 2007
1,713 Posts
It would be fine as long as you had a tuned pipe. There's nothing like the power and reliability of a DA-60 on a KS-1060 pipe though.
danielph is offline Find More Posts by danielph
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:52 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielph View Post
It would be fine as long as you had a tuned pipe. There's nothing like the power and reliability of a DA-60 on a KS-1060 pipe though.
Man I'm going to have to make the planes i have now last a loooong time then so i can save up for the 91'' Extra and maybe the DA-60
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:57 AM
TEAM EXTREME!
High Prairie, WA
Joined Nov 2007
1,713 Posts
LoneWolf,

I can't give you a date, but it will be soon.

The ailerons only need one servo each. Having said that, they need to have at least 400oz/in. of torque.

There is a lot more to setting up a gasser, but nothing to be afraid of. There's a wealth of knowlege and you'll get it going in no time!

No, you don't want to run Aviaiton gas in a DA. I run mid-grade straight from the pump mixed 50:1 with Stihl HP Ultra oil and it works great. Non-Ethinol is best, but I usually run regular for the sake of availability.

Wheels should be included.

You will want a PowerSafe receiver, dual RX battery packs and switches, and an ignition battery and switch. A fiber-optic kill switch is added safety, but not mandatory.

The cowl is mounted just like the 88" lineup. -Simple and lightweight.

-Just make the plunge! You'll be glad you did!
danielph is offline Find More Posts by danielph
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:12 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post

2. How hard is it to set up a gas airplane, compared to a 60"?

6. Roughly how much are the "extras", such as special electronics, failsafes, etc.?
I just finished setting up my first gasser and it was not nearly as intimidating as I thought it would be. I had friends help adjust the high and low in, other than that it was as easy as setting the endpoints on the throttle I did have 10 servos on mine, so it did complicate things a bit and had to get creative with the mixing...

In regards to the "extras," it stinks but you really want to spend as much as you can afford here. Servos will cost you $100+ each for this powerful a servo, they can put up with a ton of abuse though. Do not skimp on servos and use multiple battery packs for redundancy. Depending on whether or not you use the power safe rx, you will need a quality voltage regulator. I have had great luck with the Fromeco Sahara for about $60. Failsafes on the throttle are something you really want if your throttle servo ever gets stuck open. There are not many areas to cut costs on something this large.
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nice Pic
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:20 AM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
United States, NY, Alfred
Joined Apr 2009
7,691 Posts
good rule of thumb is that the airframe cost is about a third of rtf cost on the giant scale setups.
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:31 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
7,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
good rule of thumb is that the airframe cost is about a third of rtf cost on the giant scale setups.
That's a really good rule of thumb, but you can also spend $1600 just for servos, engine, and pipe.. I think the last time I priced the parts, accessories, and upgrades, for a plane this size, I came up with just under $2200 for top-shelf equipment right down to double locking aluminum servo arms and titanium push rods. You could actually shave about 28 to 30 percent off this, though. For example, you can go with a DLE engine and no pipe and save almost $500. You can also go with cheaper servos, but you can easily spend $700 to $900 for five.

I know guys that have a good plane with a top-shelf setup and have only put gas and oil into it for the past four or five years, and a few new Rx and ignition batteries, fuel tubing, spark plug, and maybe a new soft switch here and there. Simple maintenance. But even if the plane doesn't last, the right equipment will go a long way in a new plane too.

The idea is to buy right the first time. Replacing stuff you bought and don't like anymore could be a big part of the overall expense.
Aeroplayin is offline Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:57 PM
can't buy vaporware
Joined Nov 2011
8,486 Posts
Great advice, I'm adding it to my notes and, for now, hypothetical shopping list.

Where do you get pipes form? I couldn't find a source for the KS-1060 Daniel mentioned.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:58 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
7,107 Posts
www.desertaircraft.com
Aeroplayin is offline Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:05 PM
can't buy vaporware
Joined Nov 2011
8,486 Posts
D'oh.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:09 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
guys.... i figured, since this year, most likely i wont be getting another 48, i might aswell, stick to my msx... (im quite stubborn so i ordered a new servo for wing) but the real question is,

if i LOVE 3dhs 57", as per turnerm, i SHOULD love a 60" edge(wich is either next either after 51" slick, both of wich i have all electronics except batteries), but i dont really like style, wich is required to love msx, would laser be waste of money for me? and in exp lineup is it edge-extra-laser-msx, or edge-laser-extra-msx by laidback flyer to violent plane?
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:15 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
60" laser wait for it
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz