SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:11 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Watkins View Post
Yeah, eWeek rocked.
Like Fred or someone else said, "The 3D line looked like an Extreme Flight Fly-In" this year.
Some of that "may" have been due to a Huckfest on the same weekend.
Then again, perhaps there were other planes there... at first.

Never turn your back on agressive airplanes, no matter how well-behaved you think they are.
Having a lite snack eh.
jetinteriorguy is online now Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:03 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonEmmel View Post
I don't know where I am going to put the damn thing but I've been thinking about the orange/blue 70" Extra for about a year now. Anybody flown one?
The 70 thread is here, and it has a lot of good info. Seems the guys that fly it like it as much as the 60 EXPs and 78 Extra. I was ready to go with it when they came back in stock but I think I've settled on the 78 instead. We have three 78's at our club already but they just seem too sweet to pass up. Either way, I'll probably end up with one anyway. Seem inevitable.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...61826&page=115
Aeroplayin is online now Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:47 AM
I am ready for HHAEFI!!
United States, GA, Cochran
Joined Apr 2004
6,573 Posts
Was at the rally of the eagles this weekend!!! Had to represent EF!!
powerlines is offline Find More Posts by powerlines
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:00 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,883 Posts
Is that the 20 inch Xoar on the 70?
Aeroplayin is online now Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:45 AM
Joined Sep 2008
428 Posts
I think the orange & blue 70" Extra 300 is the best looking plane EF makes.
DonEmmel is offline Find More Posts by DonEmmel
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:54 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post
Is that the 20 inch Xoar on the 70?
yes.340 kv motrolfly behind it.

Powerlines why didnt you put the MSX out there? Radio,plane and packs are in the trailer.. I'll be on later
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:35 AM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,455 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=6830

if anybody has a 60 edge, could you take a look at the post and let me know if my edge is missing the x cross bracing under the turtle deck inside the fuse?

my MXS and extra has this, but not the edge...I am trying to figure out if this is standard on the edge or if I should add a couple of pieces of wood or CF to the X guides that are already there....
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:50 AM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,921 Posts
Does this answer your question?
YellowJacketsRC is online now Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:53 AM
Joined Nov 2011
8,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead View Post
Does this answer your question?
ah, yeah...looks like my edge assembly might have happened while the assembler was distracted...kind of sucks because I didn't notice until after I CA'd all of the joints in the front of the plane. maybe they are optional? necessary when the stringers aren't full length??.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:22 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
ah, yeah...looks like my edge assembly might have happened while the assembler was distracted...kind of sucks because I didn't notice until after I CA'd all of the joints in the front of the plane. maybe they are optional? necessary when the stringers aren't full length??.
shoot a pm to chris h or curtis bro aka extreme flight and see what they think.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:31 PM
fly low, fly fast, fly 3d
United Kingdom, England, Luton
Joined Dec 2011
564 Posts
for my birthday i recieved a 48 extra exp i found out last night that i was missing the carbon fiber rod that goes under the canopy this is a high stress area i was shocked to find out that the carbon rod wasnt there but what shocked me more was the fact that the airframe has held up through some very hard flying just goes to show the pedigree and quality of design that extreme flight puts into these planes i put in my own rod but it just goes to show how strong these airframes are even with out a peice
nathan100 is offline Find More Posts by nathan100
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:58 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
shoot a pm to chris h or curtis bro aka extreme flight and see what they think.
Thanks, I may do that...I might just do some surgery from below...want to get this bird in the air before the snow flies...I just wanted to verify that the X is supposed to be in the Edge, as this is my first Edge.

I'll have to look up the ultracote color on the bottom...since I'll be going in from down under.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:30 PM
Joined Aug 2012
20 Posts
Where to buy EF 48" Edge 540 required items

I'm ready to buy the EF Edge 540 EXP as first balsa!

Unfortunately appears EF does not sell all required items
to complete the plane.

Wondering if all of you owners could help me out as to what and where
to purchase all the extra stuff that EF does not sell to get this bird in the air.

What type and where should I buy the servos, batteries, and props for this plane?

Also curious. Do the wings easily come off for easy transport?
jetster7 is offline Find More Posts by jetster7
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:39 PM
United States, OR, Molalla
Joined Oct 2010
471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerlines View Post
Was at the rally of the eagles this weekend!!! Had to represent EF!!
Nice team huddle.
jlloyd1995 is offline Find More Posts by jlloyd1995
Old Oct 07, 2012, 04:12 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetster7 View Post
I'm ready to buy the EF Edge 540 EXP as first balsa!

Unfortunately appears EF does not sell all required items
to complete the plane.

Wondering if all of you owners could help me out as to what and where
to purchase all the extra stuff that EF does not sell to get this bird in the air.

What type and where should I buy the servos, batteries, and props for this plane?

Also curious. Do the wings easily come off for easy transport?

Get the torque motor and airboss ESC that comes with it, if they're in stock. If not, give them a call on Monday and they will be able to estimate when they will be in stock. They might even agree to sell you the airframe now so you can get your build going, and let you come back and get the power combo discount...ask nice, it's worth a try.

Get HS5065MG servos x4 from tower hobbies, along with an HPP21 servo programmer. You might want to get an HS5085MG servo for the elevator. I haven't looked at the 48" Edge so I"m not sure if the 5085 is worth it.

If you want to go analog servos, HS65MGs (x4), and skip the programmer. You might want to get an HS85 for the elevator per above. Tower Hobbies or Hobby zone are good places to get servos.

Get glacier 2200 4s batteries, or Gens Ace, or Thunder Power, or Revolectrix. Get an icharger i306B if you don't have a charger. The iCharger and glacier batteries can be found at epbuddy.com I recommend four batteries 4S 40C minimum (25c if you get the Gens Ace). The iCharger is powered by DC, so you will either need to charge from an AC to DC power supply, or from a batteries, e.g., marine battery. But the charger will serve you well, and keep you from buying other chargers you will soon discard. Get a paraboard from EPbuddy too.

The build manual is here.

Depending on what batteries you buy, you will also most likely have to buy some connector plugs for your batteries and/or ESC, and do some soldering.

Get a 12x6 prop.

Pick up an extreme flight 52mm spinner, as I don't think it comes with the 48" Edge.

Get some servo extensions per the manual, or wait until you get your airframe and servos and get lengths that work out even better.

If you want to fly the best, it's not available at your LHS. You'll have to do some work, and you'll have to compete with others who are buying the same things you want when stuff is not in stock.