HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:16 PM
TEAM EXTREME!
High Prairie, WA
Joined Nov 2007
1,713 Posts
The 60" Laser is another sick airframe and I had a ball wringing Chris's out this spring! It feels SO light in the air! The fuselage is huge and acts as a giant SFG in itsself. The ailerons are extremely powerful and the roll rate is one of the fastest that I've experienced!
The long tail rewards you with beautiful lines as well. Precision aerobatics are very crisp and IMAC is great!
I'm looking forward to it!
danielph is offline Find More Posts by danielph
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:33 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,440 Posts
I wish we had stuff like that in Minnesota. We need more 3d pilots up here.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:36 PM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
Or you could just move

South Cackalacky, that's the place you oughta be!
YellowJacketsRC is online now Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:38 PM
United States, GA, Cumming
Joined Feb 2004
2,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
Hop on a plane bound for Greenville/Spartanburg airport next week and I'll come pick you up (about 30 minutes from Triple Tree) and you can try the Pantera and Laser out for your self!
EXTREME FLIGHT is online now Find More Posts by EXTREME FLIGHT
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:43 PM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,847 Posts
You should DEFINITELY take Chris up on that offer! Really cool event
YellowJacketsRC is online now Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:01 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,440 Posts
Man, I wish I could...work and family obligations don't allow it right now, though.

Next summer, I hope to head to some summer event with my son, though, and then we'll get to meet you and others.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:11 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielph View Post
The 60" Laser is another sick airframe and I had a ball wringing Chris's out this spring! It feels SO light in the air! The fuselage is huge and acts as a giant SFG in itsself. The ailerons are extremely powerful and the roll rate is one of the fastest that I've experienced!
The long tail rewards you with beautiful lines as well. Precision aerobatics are very crisp and IMAC is great!
I'm looking forward to it!
I am very excited for the laser. I don't really want any more Edges and everyone who doesn't want an Edge usually ends up with an Extra or a Slick. While i LOVE my 60'' Extra for the well rounded performance i like having something different looking. The MXS with the wingtips and cowl are perfect for having something that looks different and the Laser has it's own look as well. Very nice to have some more options.

Any more 70'' EXPs coming out besides the 78'' MXS? I'm hoping we can get one more airframe that will run on 6s 5000s. I don't want to go 10s or 8s because my charger only goes to 6s and i don't want to parallel packs.
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:13 AM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Oct 2008
1,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
I am very excited for the laser. I don't really want any more Edges and everyone who doesn't want an Edge usually ends up with an Extra or a Slick. While i LOVE my 60'' Extra for the well rounded performance i like having something different looking. The MXS with the wingtips and cowl are perfect for having something that looks different and the Laser has it's own look as well. Very nice to have some more options.

Any more 70'' EXPs coming out besides the 78'' MXS? I'm hoping we can get one more airframe that will run on 6s 5000s. I don't want to go 10s or 8s because my charger only goes to 6s and i don't want to parallel packs.
Yeah, other than the 78" MXS what else is new in the 70" WS in the EXP series?

I agree that the 6S 5000 mAh or so range is versatile. You can go 6S on a 70" plane and double up for a 12S system.
Trill is offline Find More Posts by Trill
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:22 AM
This is BAT country!
United States, MI, Ovid
Joined Nov 2003
618 Posts
78" MXS? Sounds like gasser time to me! I have been wanting a gasser with a nice size tank to get in some longer flights. That will be the straw that breaks my wallets back!
Gonzo 1971 is offline Find More Posts by Gonzo 1971
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:10 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,349 Posts
The 60"-64" planes have a large "presence", in the air.. Because of this I don't think were going to see any new 70" planes. Jut my 2 cents...

Chris is a big fan of the 60", and 78" size planes. I almost purchased the 70" Extra! Untill Chris told me to buy the 78" instead.. I'm so glad he did! The 78" is the perfect plane..
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:44 AM
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Mar 2008
3,633 Posts
You know I love my 78" but do long for longer flight times. MLT suggested I get another 78" fuse and then just Swap the wings out when I need to fly at electric events. Neat idea 2planes 1.5 costs..?
bigmoebbq is online now Find More Posts by bigmoebbq
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:48 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoebbq View Post
You know I love my 78" but do long for longer flight times. MLT suggested I get another 78" fuse and then just Swap the wings out when I need to fly at electric events. Neat idea 2planes 1.5 costs..?
Great idea... What are the 3D engine options being used and what are the AUW's? We have three at the club already so far. The DLE30 seems okay, but not overly impressive. I still have this engine laying around somewhere and never thought that I'd ever consider it for anything ever again. I was waiting for the DA-35, but the OS GT33 seems to pull the 11 pound planes around fine. I'm not sure what it would be like on a 12 or 13 pounder.

I also was hoping for a 21x8 at about 7200 RPMs with a 12 pound AUW for this plane. That's about 3.7 to 4 HP. Not sure if that option exists in gas yet. That's about 3000 Watts in an electric setup, and 250 Watts per pound.
Aeroplayin is online now Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:02 AM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post
Great idea... What are the 3D engine options being used and what are the AUW's? We have three at the club already so far. The DLE30 seems okay, but not overly impressive. I still have this engine laying around somewhere and never thought that I'd ever consider it for anything ever again. I was waiting for the DA-35, but the OS GT33 seems to pull the 11 pound planes around fine. I'm not sure what it would be like on a 12 or 13 pounder.

I also was hoping for a 21x8 at about 7200 RPMs with a 12 pound AUW for this plane. That's about 3.7 to 4 HP. Not sure if that option exists in gas yet. That's about 3000 Watts in an electric setup, and 250 Watts per pound.
I flew mine for a while on a Syssa SAP-180 (30cc) on an ES composites tuned pipe. Turned a Xoar 18x8 at about 9000 rpm. Power was insane, it was extremely quiet, probably weighed a little over 12 pounds. Awesome, awesome combination. However I couldn't get more than 2 gallons of fuel through that motor without something breaking. First it was the the bearings, then it was the a ring, then bearings again. After receiving my third engine in one season I never got it back in the air...then I started flying for PAU and flew the 50cc airplane whenever I would have normally been flying the 30, so it sat in my basement for a while. It killed me because the 78 Extra flies so well, it was really one of my favorite planes ever. Finally I sold the thing to a good friend who I knew would fly it (and more importantly, let me fly it ). He kept having deadstick issues and finally ripped the motor apart in frustration, and found that part of the cylinder head was machined improperly and was hitting the piston. After milling the head down a little to avoid the interference the motor has been running very well.

Another friend has one with a Mintor 38. He managed to seize the ring but I don't know the situation leading into that. Power was OK before that though. Another friend has one with a DLE 30 with a 3DHS header into the same ES pipe that I had. Spins a 19x6 at about 8200 rpm I think...power is OK but not significantly more than the stock muffler. I don't think the header length is right but he likes it so he doesn't want to screw with it.

The DLE 35 RA looks like a good motor so far and might be a good match. I'm sure it's not difficult to put a pipe on it.

However the DA 35 should be out probably at the end of this year or maybe early 2013. I would really like to put one in a 78" MXS (on a pipe of course!) but I think I may have too many airplanes already...
cwojcik is offline Find More Posts by cwojcik
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:37 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,590 Posts
Thanks, Cody. Great assessment. I'll pass on the info to a friend who has a Syssa on the 78. No one was really impressed with it's performance, so maybe this info can help. Another guy I know seized his Mintor 38 while breaking it in... sloppy rich, so I have no idea how he did that.

I never had luck with the original DLE 30, so we starting changing things out. I had the reed chamber machines, changed the reeds, put a real Walbro on it, added an acceleration stack, addded a nipple to the diaphragm plate, then finally bought the rear carb mount conversion. Since I was only four bolts from having the whole engine apart, I pulled the head and saw that the piston had a lot of deposit as if it were never getting hot enough.

I cleaned it up pretty good, put some Royal Purple on all the parts, and as I reassembled the motor, a part of the ring fell onto the work bench. Maybe the oil worked it loose, don't know, but I grabbed the rest with a needle nose, gave it a slight tug to remove it, and it came off in two more pieces. I emailed Frank Bowman and now have a 'real' ring in it. I just never had the stones to put it in another airplane. If it were my first experience in this hobby, I would have given it up. All things considered, I'm a little gun shy to buy a DLE 35 until I see one in action for a season.

I think the 78 Extra or MXS will be perfect for me if I can keep it away from Tom. He **really** liked the two he has flown, and would like them even more if they had a little more power, or could swing a bigger prop.

Thanks, again, for the info.
Jim
Aeroplayin is online now Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:51 AM
This is NOT a TOY?
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Jul 2011
2,555 Posts
I have a 78" with the Syssa running on an ES composites pipe and Vess 18.5x5.5 and everyone that has flown it has been pretty impressed with it for a gas setup.

Like most gas setups, it doesn't hold a candle to a good electric setup for 'instant' punch but it's still pretty awesome and you can fly for 20 minutes if you wanted.
C_Watkins is offline Find More Posts by C_Watkins
RCG Plus Member