HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:26 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty10 View Post
I think I'm getting blow back and need something a bit stronger on 48" 540 elevator. My options seem to be... add a CC BEC to get 6v to them for a 25% increase in torque, or get the HS85 but it weights almost 2x as much.
It doesn't weight twice as much. It's more like 1/4 or a 1/3 ounce. I think if you run a 6 volt BEC that will help you a lot.

Quote:
I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this on the 540T EXP and if so what was your fix?
I run the Airboss ESC and it's onboard 6 volt BEC. I've flown both the edge with both HS65MGs and HS5065MGs with no blowback as long as I am running 6 volts. While the HS65 is enough, I personally like the HS85MG on the elevator simply because I with the Dubro heavy duty arm I can get 88 degrees of elevator travel.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:31 PM
Team Hillbilly (UK)
United Kingdom, England, Cambs
Joined Oct 2011
1,396 Posts
I don't trust any Servo's - they are ALL rubbish and not worth bothering with.....

I now use highly trained mice that sit in my planes and work the control surfaces via small electric shocks that are administered from a rx controller I designed....

No blow back...no stripped gears...no burned control boards.....no damaged pots....no slop simply feed them cheese and fly with utmost confidence
Space Bat is offline Find More Posts by Space Bat
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:33 PM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trill View Post
When you say wears out to fast do you mean they develop slop too quickly or do you mean you won't be able to get hundreds of flights before they fail?

Which ATX servos do you recommend for the 60" planes? What Savox servos do you recommend for the 64" MXS?
Well for me there has been two problems with 5245s:

1. The center gear pin plastic bushing built into the top case will oval out so bad the the gears bind or strip. This is a known problem by Hitec and they even made a revision to the servo to increase the size of that bushing but it still didn't fix it.

2. The center gear pin bends and then the gears bind and/or strip.

If I fly very, very hard I can make either of these problems happen in one flight. Full speed blenders, high speed rollers etc...

I think if you are a sport flyer or mild 3D guy that these servos will work.

Airtronics servo that I have 1000s of flights with zero failures is 94820
http://www.servodatabase.com/servo/airtronics/94820

The Savox minis are way too weak for the 60" planes. Major blowback issue.

We've had good success with the 7245 HV Hitec servo and the JR HVs as well.
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:38 PM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Oct 2008
1,577 Posts
Say cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Bat View Post
I don't trust any Servo's - they are ALL rubbish and not worth bothering with.....

I now use highly trained mice that sit in my planes and work the control surfaces via small electric shocks that are administered from a rx controller I designed....

No blow back...no stripped gears...no burned control boards.....no damaged pots....no slop simply feed them cheese and fly with utmost confidence
Is it Swiss or American cheese? Or do they have a special super nutrient cheese for these highly trained mice in the UK?
Trill is offline Find More Posts by Trill
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:43 PM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Oct 2008
1,577 Posts
Set up for 60" to 64" planes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hercdriver7777 View Post
Well for me there has been two problems with 5245s:

1. The center gear pin plastic bushing built into the top case will oval out so bad the the gears bind or strip. This is a known problem by Hitec and they even made a revision to the servo to increase the size of that bushing but it still didn't fix it.

2. The center gear pin bends and then the gears bind and/or strip.

If I fly very, very hard I can make either of these problems happen in one flight. Full speed blenders, high speed rollers etc...

I think if you are a sport flyer or mild 3D guy that these servos will work.

Airtronics servo that I have 1000s of flights with zero failures is 94820
http://www.servodatabase.com/servo/airtronics/94820

The Savox minis are way too weak for the 60" planes. Major blowback issue.

We've had good success with the 7245 HV Hitec servo and the JR HVs as well.
Well, I just started to enjoy high speed blenders with a parachute exit. Will the Airtronics servos stand up to that and rocket rolls?

Will I need a separate BEC to power the 7245s or JR HVs or will the 6v onboard BEC in the Airboss 80 Amp ESC be enough for the HV servos?
Trill is offline Find More Posts by Trill
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:53 PM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trill View Post
Well, I just started to enjoy high speed blenders with a parachute exit. Will the Airtronics servos stand up to that and rocket rolls?

Will I need a separate BEC to power the 7245s or JR HVs or will the 6v onboard BEC in the Airboss 80 Amp ESC be enough for the HV servos?
The Atx will hold up to anything you throw at them with the built in 6V BEC on the Airboss.

With 7.4V servos you need to run a separate 2S lipo (450-500ish) and cut the red wire on the ESC going into the RX. Or run a separate BEC and cut the red wire on the ESC going into the RX.
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:07 PM
Yin & Yang
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Jul 2011
3,953 Posts
Savox sh0255mg vs HS-85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
It doesn't weight twice as much. It's more like 1/4 or a 1/3 ounce.
Doc. A 1/3 of an oz. is 9.45g HS-65 @ 11.2g vs HS-85 @ 22.1g But I didn't mean to imply the weight was a big deal. I'm sure it won't make any difference other than moving the battery forward to get the GC back where I like it.
Quote:
I think if you run a 6 volt BEC that will help you a lot.I run the Airboss ESC and it's onboard 6 volt BEC.
Well cheet, I didn't realize the Airboss was putting out 6v so a BEC won't help me.
Quote:
I've flown both the edge with both HS65MGs and HS5065MGs with no blowback as long as I am running 6 volts. While the HS65 is enough, I personally like the HS85MG on the elevator simply because I with the Dubro heavy duty arm I can get 88 degrees of elevator travel.
Thanks Doc I appreciate the feed back allot.

Mines close to yours at about 85 degrees using a 3DHS composite arm.

So adjusting my question for the new info is:

The Savox savsh0255mg at $4 more than the HS-85 is digital which sounds cool to me even though I have no digital servos deployed at the moment. Weighs 15.8g (again weight not a big deal) and produces a little over 10% more torque at 6v. I've been using hitec's for many many years and do trust their specs for the most part. I have zero references on the Savox servos. But the specs really do look good. Is anyone using this Savox? And If so what's your opinion of them?
Liberty10 is offline Find More Posts by Liberty10
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:18 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
When did you get your air boss? There is an older version that does 5.0 volts.

A couple of people have lost planes with savox on the elevator. Tom k hasn't and he is a savox team pilot.

I personally put an 85mg servo on all my exp elevators. Pantera is getting a 5085.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:18 PM
Yin & Yang
Joined Jul 2011
3,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Bat View Post

Arggh! I should have tried the mice. I tried to go with gerbils because they were great at sculling but walked out on me because they were afraid of heights.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:38 PM
Yin & Yang
Joined Jul 2011
3,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
When did you get your air boss? There is an older version that does 5.0 volts.
I have 2 AB 45 lites both purchased in the last 6 months. The Edge AirBoss is less than 2 months old. So I'm pretty sure their both 6v at least I am now.

As for Savox failures on elevators. Can you elaborate on that a little? What failed? Lockup? Stripout? Fried? I have seen quite a few of Tom's vids and he is anything but docile. So it doesn't sound like it would be a "too aggressive" issue

Quote:
I personally put an 85mg servo on all my exp elevators. Pantera is getting a 5085.
At only $10 difference between the 85 and the 5085 this may very well be what I get. But I'd really like some more info on the Savox failures you speak of. Their specs. look very impressive. Real world though can be a far different thing as we all know.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:49 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by long leng View Post
nothing goes over being content

as for specs....you cant trust them !
the sh1250: works good and nice at lower speed. breaks down already at middle speed. some would call it blow black....i call it a crap servo. biggest dissapointment on all servos i ever had (sorry, forgot the bluebirds).
lol, i was even ashame when i gave them away for free !!!!
the hs 5245 tops the 1250 by far...at a lower price
I've seen Cody, Chris, Doc, Tom, and Daniel fly 60 EXPs with their JR 3711's at 86 oz-in, HS-7245ís at 89 oz-in, HS-5245's with 76 oz-in, and SH-1250's at 64 oz-in, and the performances seem impressive, to say the least. You seem to consider some crap, some okay, and some good, but your comparison seems to be in line with torque. I'm guessing you tested all of these servos, along with the Futaba servos you mentioned, on the same EXP airframe. Is this correct, and do you have any video I can watch so I can compare them in action?
Aeroplayin is offline Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 17, 2012, 05:05 PM
This is BAT country!
United States, MI, Ovid
Joined Nov 2003
618 Posts
So Savox makes no servo's in this size range? I really like my Sh-0257s in my 48 on 6v. Really bummed about the 5245 as that is what's in my 60" extras tail. Might just replace the servos before the first flight.
Gonzo 1971 is offline Find More Posts by Gonzo 1971
Old Sep 17, 2012, 05:10 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Gonyea View Post
So Savox makes no servo's in this size range? I really like my Sh-0257s in my 48 on 6v. Really bummed about the 5245 as that is what's in my 60" extras tail. Might just replace the servos before the first flight.
SH-1250 on a 100A OPTO ESC with a 6v external BEC:

Tom Kitt - Extreme Flight Edge 540T EXP__First Flight In A While (5 min 2 sec)
Aeroplayin is offline Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 17, 2012, 05:17 PM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Gonyea View Post
I put a full size servo instead of a mini in the tail of my 60" extra and couldnt be happier. The 5245's remain in all the other surfaces but seeing as the elevator takes a lot of abuse in these planes i wasnt comfortable with that servo back there.
shadow102 is offline Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Sep 17, 2012, 05:25 PM
This is BAT country!
United States, MI, Ovid
Joined Nov 2003
618 Posts
This one has hs 225 in the wings and 5245 in the tail. I am a little leary of these servos. I really don't want to dump another $200 into this plane. But I won't enjoy flying it if I am worrying about servo failures.
Gonzo 1971 is offline Find More Posts by Gonzo 1971