SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 17, 2012, 01:06 PM
zürich
Joined Jun 2008
1,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwojcik View Post
Not really. Chris Jewett has researched this a lot and figured out that your choices are to stay at 6V and use 5245's or go to the bomb-proof Airtronics servos and live with the low speed, or go to 7.4V and use 3711's or 7245's. The specs for the BLS153 are good at 6V but I am told to avoid it...not sure why? It's also extremely expensive. I am extremely happy with the 7245's but for comparison I am going to test the Futaba S9070SB on 7.4V in my MXS and see how well they work.
i nearly fall in love with you as i am looking for a comparison between the s9070sb and the 7245.
really hope you will report about.

the specs for the bls 153 are good and its a top servo, basicly the best i ever flown. then again, it has nylon and carbonite gears...it will defanetely strip during the first few flights. this is based on own painful experience (not just once)
i spoke a lot about with futaba: this servo is meant to be used with arms no longer than 1cm.
sailplanes are a good application and some f3a planes (oxai citrin for example)
long leng is offline Find More Posts by long leng
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2012, 01:08 PM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,330 Posts
Quote:
Not really. Chris Jewett has researched this a lot and figured out that your choices are to stay at 6V and use 5245's or go to the bomb-proof Airtronics servos and live with the low speed, or go to 7.4V and use 3711's or 7245's. The specs for the BLS153 are good at 6V but I am told to avoid it...not sure why? It's also extremely expensive. I am extremely happy with the 7245's but for comparison I am going to test the Futaba S9070SB on 7.4V in my MXS and see how well they work.
I have found that the only 6V servo I can live with in these planes is the Atx even though it is really slow. The 5245 wears out too fast for me. I think most people would be happy with that servo though.

For those looking for more performance though, 7.4v is unquestionably the way to go.
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
Old Sep 17, 2012, 01:44 PM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Oct 2008
1,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hercdriver7777 View Post
I have found that the only 6V servo I can live with in these planes is the Atx even though it is really slow. The 5245 wears out too fast for me. I think most people would be happy with that servo though.
When you say wears out to fast do you mean they develop slop too quickly or do you mean you won't be able to get hundreds of flights before they fail?

Which ATX servos do you recommend for the 60" planes? What Savox servos do you recommend for the 64" MXS?
Trill is offline Find More Posts by Trill
Old Sep 17, 2012, 01:53 PM
zürich
Joined Jun 2008
1,074 Posts
savöx has nothing sensful for the 60"planes at the moment
Old Sep 17, 2012, 01:56 PM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by long leng View Post
i nearly fall in love with you as i am looking for a comparison between the s9070sb and the 7245.
really hope you will report about.

the specs for the bls 153 are good and its a top servo, basicly the best i ever flown. then again, it has nylon and carbonite gears...it will defanetely strip during the first few flights. this is based on own painful experience (not just once)
i spoke a lot about with futaba: this servo is meant to be used with arms no longer than 1cm.
sailplanes are a good application and some f3a planes (oxai citrin for example)
OK, didn't know that! I had read that it had metal gears, but having checked the Futaba website it appears as though that is incorrect.

Will report on the S9070's. Specs look good but they are pretty expensive.
cwojcik is offline Find More Posts by cwojcik
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:06 PM
zürich
Joined Jun 2008
1,074 Posts
Quote:
OK, didn't know that! I had read that it had metal gears, but having checked the Futaba website it appears as though that is incorrect.

Will report on the S9070's. Specs look good but they are pretty expensive.
yes, they are listed with metal gears at many webshops.... 100% incorrect.
same goes for the bls 156.

i had about 100 flight with the s9070sb at 6v.
big difference compared to the 5245 on the ailerons.
no notacible difference in the back.

have now about 100 flight with them at 7.7v and its outstanding.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:07 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
savöx has nothing sensful for the 60"planes at the moment
1250? a bit less torque, but very fast... and lets not forget that there is a lot of people being happy fliers even with hitecs 225....
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:16 PM
zürich
Joined Jun 2008
1,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
1250? a bit less torque, but very fast... and lets not forget that there is a lot of people being happy fliers even with hitecs 225....
nothing goes over being content

as for specs....you cant trust them !
the sh1250: works good and nice at lower speed. breaks down already at middle speed. some would call it blow black....i call it a crap servo. biggest dissapointment on all servos i ever had (sorry, forgot the bluebirds).
lol, i was even ashame when i gave them away for free !!!!
the hs 5245 tops the 1250 by far...at a lower price
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:25 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,446 Posts
Hs225 are some of the worst servos l have ever used. Hitec should be ashame to put out a servo that poorly done.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:27 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
nothing goes over being content

as for specs....you cant trust them !
the sh1250: works good and nice at lower speed. breaks down already at middle speed. some would call it blow black....i call it a crap servo. biggest dissapointment on all servos i ever had (sorry, forgot the bluebirds).
lol, i was even ashame when i gave them away for free !!!!
the hs 5245 tops the 1250 by far...at a lower price
i actually havent heard anything about savox, nor good nor bad, all i know is i have them on my a bit underpowered 57"sc and love them...
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:31 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
Hs225 are some of the worst servos l have ever used. Hitec should be ashame to put out a servo that poorly done.

yeah, they are not good, but still, there is a lot of people who does mild 3d and for whom they work very nicely until they step up to something better... i flew with them for like 6months, than got savox1250, and now if i like hv hitecs im planing to put in my next EF60", i might swap out savox... but still, if the choice is to fly or not to fly, even 225 will temporarily work as a cheap solution...
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:41 PM
zürich
Joined Jun 2008
1,074 Posts
lol, you went from the ashamed servos to the crap ones

savöx does make very good servos, especially the big ones
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:43 PM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Oct 2008
1,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
Specifically, what's wrong with the Hitec 225s? 3DHS recommends them for many of their planes.
Trill is offline Find More Posts by Trill
Last edited by Trill; Sep 17, 2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:43 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,812 Posts
serrrrrrrrrrrrrvos!
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:16 PM
Yin & Yang
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Jul 2011
3,953 Posts
EF 48" Edge 540T EXP

I think I'm getting blow back and need something a bit stronger on 48" 540 elevator. My options seem to be... add a CC BEC to get 6v to them for a 25% increase in torque, or get the HS85 but it weights almost 2x as much. Futaba has nothing that fits this range that I could see.. Savox does have this "Savox SH-0255MG Micro Metal Gear Digital Servo" at only 4.6g more...If I go with the heavier servo I should only need to move the battery forward for balance. I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this on the 540T EXP and if so what was your fix?
Liberty10 is offline Find More Posts by Liberty10