HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:48 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,211 Posts
I love my 60'' EXPs!!! I haven't even flown the MXS but i can already tell it's going to be super fun. It has a very different shape than the Extra and i really love the cowl on the MXS, It's like a bulls nostrils flaring getting ready to get buck Here are my only two planes for the moment but i don't think i could ask for more (until the 91'' Extra comes out )
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:56 PM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,582 Posts
I just got a thought... any reason why these aren't designated as MXS-R EXPs?

--Tom K.
Tom K. is offline Find More Posts by Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12S on the 3DHS 74" Edge 540
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:18 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,426 Posts
Awesome hone1er.

Question: Can you fit your finger in the cowling through the cooling holes? Just wondering--I like to double check motor temps.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:20 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N6145k View Post
Awesome hone1er.

Question: Can you fit your finger in the cowling through the cooling holes? Just wondering--I like to double check motor temps.
Fly a Torque and don't worry about it.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:23 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,426 Posts
Got the new torque with it...and, I am sure I don't have to worry about it...but I am a "trust but verify" type of guy Plus, on the 16x8 I really want to verify It drives me nuts on the MXS 48"...even though I've flown back to back packs on a hot day without problems.

Did you get yours yet Doc Ausin?
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:56 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,211 Posts
I can fit my finger in the cowl holes but i have small fingers. If you're fingers aren't small like mine you might just get your finger stuck in there
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:15 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N6145k View Post
Did you get yours yet Doc Ausin?
No, dammit.

I just ordered it Friday, so there's a small chance I'll get it tomorrow.

The bad thing is that Monday the republic national convention opens in Tampa and the FAA is grounding all RC aircraft in the whole area. No flying. I'll get it built just in time to not fly it for a week.

In view of this, I think I will just putter around, built it real slow, and savor the process. If I get it done early I may have to take it down to Sarasota Silent Fliers, provided they are out of the affected area.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:51 AM
lost in the addiction of flyin
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Dec 2009
769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post
Setup has a lot to do with it too. Tom will usually take my plane and screw around with trim, throws, and mixing, and when I get it back, it flies like a pussycat. The same goes for a lot of planes that some people think are better than others. If you fly someone else's plane, you're flying their setup unless they let you program in changes, which is unlikely. So comparisons are often unfair unless you buy the plane an fly it for a while.:
couldnt have experessed that any clearer, i love it when people get me to fly thier planes looking for assistance makeing it fly even better. a good 90% get back on this sticks after i am done fooling around and go WOW thats what its supposed to fly like? sometimes you can go right over the heads of the circle flyers but even they have been asking for help lately after seeing the students out flying them. geno the guy flying in the vid i have to say has really upped the flying caliber in our club with his pressence, and hes really nice and will share set up ideas with those that want to know. i know he will be at the huckfest in wash this sept, he will represent us well.
furballll is offline Find More Posts by furballll
Old Aug 22, 2012, 01:17 AM
Joined Nov 2011
8,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
The bad thing is that Monday the republic national convention opens in Tampa and the FAA is grounding all RC aircraft in the whole area. No flying. I'll get it built just in time to not fly it for a week..
This just makes me mad.

I had a similar situation--was really frustrating, because President Obama came to Minnesota to hold a fund raiser at a restaurant owned by the Governor's sons, and they restricted RC for 30 nautical miles (but VFR was allowed after 10 nautical miles). You'd need a 1700' tower to control an RC plane 30 nautical miles out.

Anyway, the AMA is working on this--not as fast as I would like, but at least they are.

Imagine if some major candidate decided to raise money 25 nautical miles away from the king 50, nall, seef, etc., the day you scheduled it.

The government has no business limiting RC flying for fundraisers, political meetings, etc., unless it is *OFFICIAL* government business (IMO). Political parties getting together or politicians raising money is not government business. Often, I think, states would be better off just paying major "VIP" candidates to stay away. Less overtime for the police, less commuting hassles for the natives. You could probably pay candidates double what they would have raised, and still come out ahead.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 03:21 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,958 Posts
You think you have it bad, try living in the DC area. Politicians.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Aug 22, 2012, 06:04 AM
KJ4YNM
Manassas, VA
Joined Sep 2006
1,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
I do!!
RCPtero is offline Find More Posts by RCPtero
Old Aug 22, 2012, 06:08 AM
It's gone...
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Aug 2004
5,102 Posts
It is a ridiculously huge area. How are they policing it? There is no way they can and what are they gonna do to you if they see you flying?! I'll bet most law enforcement aren't aware it include rc planes too.
_OZ_ is offline Find More Posts by _OZ_
Old Aug 22, 2012, 06:38 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Which Edge was it? I flew a 60" Edge 540T from Aeroworks for a few years and it was overweight (according to the spec) by about a pound, and therefore underpowered with the recommended .91 four stroke engine. The engine they used in the promo video, upon analysis and scrutiny, was a Saito 1.00 or larger because of the valve covers... not the .91 Magnum they claimed to use. At least, that's why I think. No accusations to anyone. That plane was a bit heavy, couldn't carry an upline for too long, and did tip stall.

However, I recently flew a 74" Extra by Aeroworks with an O.S. Gas 33cc engine and that was AWESOME! Tons of power, surprisingly nimble (surprisingly because I was expecting a repeat of my Edge... only worse because the Extra has an extra taper on the wing), and 3D'd quite nicely with minimal wing rock. Granted, it's no 60" Edge, but it did perform very well and if we decide to go with a 70" class, it's number two behind the 70" EXP in my book... however, I still need to fly a 70" EXP to confirm that.. but if they fly like the rest of the EXPs, it will hold up to my expectations.

Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. Anyway, MXS anyone?

--Tom K.
It was a brand new 50cc orange edge with a 55cc motor. All hitec digital servos. Flew that and a new ef 50cc edge with a 60cc motor in it with the same digital hitec servos. I have put a lot of fights on them.
I have had so much fun with the ef edge I put over an hour of flight time on it just the other morning.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Aug 22, 2012, 07:02 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
It was a brand new 50cc orange edge with a 55cc motor. All hitec digital servos. Flew that and a new ef 50cc edge with a 60cc motor in it with the same digital hitec servos. I have put a lot of fights on them.
I have had so much fun with the ef edge I put over an hour of flight time on it just the other morning.
I've heard so many great things about the EF 88 Edge and the videos I've seen really back it all up. It's another EF plane on the "A" List.
Aeroplayin is online now Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 22, 2012, 07:16 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
We get that in NY all the time! Today is a no fly day, due to President Obama being in town... I just go to the local park, with my 48" EXP's or foamy's on those days..
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Last edited by Ducati Mechanic; Aug 22, 2012 at 09:30 AM.