HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 21, 2012, 04:56 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trill View Post
Please describe the differences in the flight envelopes of the two planes.

Specifically, the following differences:

Wing loading
Harrier
Hover
Torque rolling
Snaps
Elevators
Waterfalls
Inverted flight
Ease of landing (I like to deadstick my landings too)
Etcetera

So, perhaps it's best to just describe how the EF 60" Edge 540T EXP excels rather than how the other plane fails to match it. If you will, please address ease of assembly, maintenance, and durability of the airframe. Getting both the big and whole picture on an airframe, its power system, and its setup is quite useful when determining what airframes to sink our valuable funds into.

Thanks for enlightening and helping us through your experience with both planes. I have not flown either plane, but there are people at my club who claim that the Aeroworks planes are superior.

Happy landings!
Quickest way to discribe it is that the aerowork edge will drop a wing on you in a heart beat. Where the ef edge is super stable. Both hover extremely well and both torque roll well. The aeroworks you have to stay on the sticks in a Harrier where the ef edge is almost hands off. I dont want to sound mean but the aeroworks edge was very unstable in 3d flight. The small hk slick doesnt drop a wing as easily.

Now with all that said there isnt a manuever that i couldnt do with either plane its just that the ef edge was easier to do it all with and because its so stable post stall it inspired confidence to fly low

Build quality goes to the aeroworks edge. Fit and finish was slightly better on the aeroworks.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2012, 06:11 PM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Oct 2008
1,577 Posts
Strong points

Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
Quickest way to discribe it is that the aerowork edge will drop a wing on you in a heart beat. Where the ef edge is super stable. Both hover extremely well and both torque roll well. The aeroworks you have to stay on the sticks in a Harrier where the ef edge is almost hands off. I dont want to sound mean but the aeroworks edge was very unstable in 3d flight. The small hk slick doesnt drop a wing as easily.

Now with all that said there isnt a manuever that i couldnt do with either plane its just that the ef edge was easier to do it all with and because its so stable post stall it inspired confidence to fly low

Build quality goes to the aeroworks edge. Fit and finish was slightly better on the aeroworks.
Thank you for the evaluation. You covered the one point, build quality, that the AW supporters at my club kept hammering home. My impression without an EF 60" Edge for comparison was that the AW plane(s) excelled in the build quality area.

But one of my club members sold his AW Edge because of the factors you mentioned in your evaluation.

From my limited experience (I've only flown ten different 3DHS airframes and seven different EF airframes) nothing beats the EF and 3DHS planes for flight performance and flight envelope. I'm happy to fly the best from both manufacturers!

Each of the planes do well what they are designed to do. For instance, the Edges are easy to harrier and hover and the Extras are precise with a fast roll rate.

With such great choices in RC airframes, it's a wonderful time to be an RC enthusiast!
Trill is offline Find More Posts by Trill
Old Aug 21, 2012, 06:43 PM
United States, GA, Cumming
Joined Feb 2004
2,334 Posts
"With such great choices in RC airframes, it's a wonderful time to be an RC enthusiast! "

This has become my mantra!
EXTREME FLIGHT is online now Find More Posts by EXTREME FLIGHT
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 21, 2012, 06:55 PM
3D Legion: "for we are many"
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Sep 2003
2,885 Posts
In the early 80's I thought it was a great time to be an RC enthusiast.

In the 90's I thought it was a great time to be an RC enthusiast.

In the 2000's I thought it was a great time to be an RC enthusiast.

In the 2010's I thought it was a great time to be an RC enthusiast.

Turns out I was always right because I was having fun with family and friends. Technology is wonderful, and I love 3D with my 120 and 60cc planes, but the spirit of the sport and the fun and fellowship has been wonderful.
aerosheldon is online now Find More Posts by aerosheldon
Old Aug 21, 2012, 07:31 PM
3D Sunset Flier
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
4,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosheldon View Post

Turns out I was always right because I was having fun with family and friends. Technology is wonderful, and I love 3D with my 120 and 60cc planes, but the spirit of the sport and the fun and fellowship has been wonderful.
Amen brother! Best part of the hobby by far.

Buzzed is offline Find More Posts by Buzzed
Old Aug 21, 2012, 07:31 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREME FLIGHT View Post
"With such great choices in RC airframes, it's a wonderful time to be an RC enthusiast! "

This has become my mantra!
hehe he misspelled manta heheheh..
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Aug 21, 2012, 07:58 PM
United States, MI, Lambertville
Joined Feb 2011
801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati Mechanic View Post
Holy crap! I was breaking stones, made one passing post, and you guys ran with it.

What does my opinion matter? I'm nobody, chill out..
Tim I'm a very loyal EF customer and I am embarrassed by your original comment, you should have known better. !!!
Balsa Breaker is offline Find More Posts by Balsa Breaker
Last edited by Balsa Breaker; Aug 21, 2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 08:05 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
hehe he misspelled manta heheheh..
I caught that too.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Aug 21, 2012, 08:09 PM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post

Which Edge was it? I flew a 60" Edge 540T from Aeroworks for a few years and it was overweight (according to the spec) by about a pound, and therefore underpowered with the recommended .91 four stroke engine. The engine they used in the promo video, upon analysis and scrutiny, was a Saito 1.00 or larger because of the valve covers... not the .91 Magnum they claimed to use. At least, that's why I think. No accusations to anyone. That plane was a bit heavy, couldn't carry an upline for too long, and did tip stall.

However, I recently flew a 74" Extra by Aeroworks with an O.S. Gas 33cc engine and that was AWESOME! Tons of power, surprisingly nimble (surprisingly because I was expecting a repeat of my Edge... only worse because the Extra has an extra taper on the wing), and 3D'd quite nicely with minimal wing rock. Granted, it's no 60" Edge, but it did perform very well and if we decide to go with a 70" class, it's number two behind the 70" EXP in my book... however, I still need to fly a 70" EXP to confirm that.. but if they fly like the rest of the EXPs, it will hold up to my expectations.

Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. Anyway, MXS anyone?

--Tom K.
Tom K. is offline Find More Posts by Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12S on the 3DHS 74" Edge 540
Old Aug 21, 2012, 08:26 PM
lost in the addiction of flyin
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Dec 2009
788 Posts
tom have you seen the 100 cc aeroworks edge in action, i know i have seen a few of the old aeroworks planes fly and if you want to do large imac flying they were ok, but this plane is compairable to anything ef and 3dhs is putting out right now in my opinion.

we have two of these in our club right now and both guys fly lots of 3d, both the guys also have ef planes they fly all the time too. watching geno fly his48 and 60 ef planes is just as much fun as watching him fly his aeroworks planes.

geno spring fun fly sunday flight (8 min 24 sec)
furballll is offline Find More Posts by furballll
Old Aug 21, 2012, 08:29 PM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,585 Posts
Yeah, I haven't seen or flown a lot of the recent AW models.

--Tom K.
Tom K. is offline Find More Posts by Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12S on the 3DHS 74" Edge 540
Old Aug 21, 2012, 08:37 PM
3D Legion: "for we are many"
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Sep 2003
2,885 Posts
Nice vid Furball
aerosheldon is online now Find More Posts by aerosheldon
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:07 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,874 Posts
Setup has a lot to do with it too. Tom will usually take my plane and screw around with trim, throws, and mixing, and when I get it back, it flies like a pussycat. The same goes for a lot of planes that some people think are better than others. If you fly someone else's plane, you're flying their setup unless they let you program in changes, which is unlikely. So comparisons are often unfair unless you buy the plane an fly it for a while.

Although we were somewhat disappointed with the older AW 60... still only $190... watching Tom fly the new 74 with a good power setup (OS GT33) was eye-opening. Not what I expected, so things change. I just like a light and powerful setup, which is a balancing act sometimes. 265 Watts per pound and a wing loading under 28 is my personal comfort zone and I'd prefer to buy a plane that let's me achieve this first. But one thing about this hobby is that it will teach you very often that your preferences change.

I've been looking real hard at the 70 EXP but I've had some trouble putting all the power pieces together. My understanding is that Motrolfly may be coming out with a DM4330-300 that will swing a carbon fiber 20x11 prop to 2800 Watts on 8S. If that is the case, then 2800 Watts divided by 10.2 pounds for the 8S setup is 275 Watts per pound and the 10.2 pounds means a wing loading of 23.5 oz/sqft. Schweeeet.
Aeroplayin is online now Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:22 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,170 Posts
4330 is real bro
but the 4325 will fly the punk out of the 70 extra also
2800 watts is just WOW on a 70 lol
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:32 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,874 Posts
Glad to hear it Manta.... been racking my brain on this one, and just should have asked Ken in the first place.
Aeroplayin is online now Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member