SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:03 AM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
Having not read scotts book yet on hovering, when do you apply right aileron in a hover?

I just hit it every so often to keep it from torque rolling but what is the science behind it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by N6145k View Post
I don't know stgdz. But I've been trying to *not* use my ailerons in my hovers, to force myself to do some torque rolls. Just elevator, rudder, throttle. After reviewing the video some of my previous attempts, I realized I was using ailerons way too much, and it was keeping me from focusing on what was necessary to hang on the prop.

Got some nice torque rolls in tonight, down low in a ditch below my waist (I was on a hill ).

Disclaimer: Using foamy...
If you want it to not torque roll, use right aileron and if it's not enough, bounce the throttle a little. It will both decrease torque for a second, and blow more air over the surfaces.

For "natural" torque rolls, use no aileron. Those look cool especially when you are flying in a slight breeze and it's slowly rolling and drifting down the runway.

For awesome torque rolls, nail full left aileron .

--Tom K.
Tom K. is offline Find More Posts by Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12S on the 3DHS 74" Edge 540
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:07 AM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
I guess that's my problem tom. I can torque roll it but reading the model and figuring put when to applying aileron is something I don't understand like I do when a plane stalls. I randomly jam the right aileron to keep it from torque rolling but I can't figure out how and when the torque roll happens.

I can start a torque roll with left aileron but its random on when it starts with no left aileron
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:39 AM
United States, NJ, Millville
Joined Oct 2003
41 Posts
Wing Tube

Can someone tell me the diameter and length of either the MXS or Edge EXP wing tube? I need one for another plane and want to see if one of these will fit (I assume they are the same size). I know the Extra one fits diameter wise, but it is more money and longer than I need. Figuring the others might be shorter.

Thanks,

Russell
rborn is online now Find More Posts by rborn
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:22 AM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
I guess that's my problem tom. I can torque roll it but reading the model and figuring put when to applying aileron is something I don't understand like I do when a plane stalls. I randomly jam the right aileron to keep it from torque rolling but I can't figure out how and when the torque roll happens.

I can start a torque roll with left aileron but its random on when it starts with no left aileron
When it starts torque rolling, and if you don't want it to, apply right aileron. That's when you use right aileron. After a while your thumbs learn on autopilot when to apply it, and it just happens. Maybe that's what you mean when you say you randomly jam right aileron... maybe it's not so random. My brain/fingers pick up I guess on the slightest nuance or even predict when the plane is beginning to torque left on me, and I instinctively counter. It's not random, I just don't think about it. If you apply right aileron when the plane isn't torque rolling, you can sometimes get it to counter-torque roll.
ryan_m is online now Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:26 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,206 Posts
Now In HD

I could not be more pleased with how our HD videos are coming out. Before there were lots of distorted things, particularlly how clouds looked all pixelated and such, but now they are very, very defined. Now you can see the reflections moving around on the plane. It actually looks like there is space between me and the plane, almost like you are looking over my shoulder. It's almost like a 3 dimensional movie.

This is the last video in the "Flights From Nowhere" trilogy. We're hoping to shoot some more later this week.

Unfortunately, outside of the awesome HD quality and some additional special effects with animated credits and such, the Windows Seven Movie Maker is a not very good. I much preferred working with the other one (XP), though Seven and HD is admitedly a much higher resolution and much higher quality picture. I am probably going to have to buy a good professional programm, assuming I can keep flying.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Last edited by Doc Austin; Aug 14, 2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 01:06 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,351 Posts
Pulled the trigger!

Nice DOC!! I dig it!

Just broke down and ordered a 64" MXS EXP!!!!

Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Old Aug 14, 2012, 01:09 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
United States, NY, Alfred
Joined Apr 2009
7,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati Mechanic View Post
Nice DOC!! I dig it!

sweet!!! can't wait to fly it!
Irg is online now Find More Posts by Irg
Old Aug 14, 2012, 01:45 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,206 Posts
Quote:
Nice DOC!! I dig it!

Damm. I want one but I there have been too many medical expenses. Maybe I can snag one out of the next batch.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Aug 14, 2012, 03:06 PM
Deer Park, Tx (East side of Houston)
Joined Oct 2009
152 Posts
Extreme Flight web page help please?

Hello,

I have been watch the Extreme Flight web page considering a manufacture change might be in order for my next plane. Please forgive if this is a dumb question but where is the 64" MXS EXP listed? I don't see it under aircraft. Do they show somewhere else? I'd like to read about it, etc...

Thanks in advance
DanWard is offline Find More Posts by DanWard
Old Aug 14, 2012, 03:11 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,351 Posts
You won't be disappointed!

Just click "Store", in the upper right hand corner of the main page.

http://www.extremeflightrc.com/store...=index&cPath=2
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
You'll probably get more info from this thread. It just arrived and the typical EF web page with text, pictures and videos hasn't been built for it yet. You'll find the current page in the following location:

http://www.extremeflightrc.com/store...roducts_id=157
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
United States, GA, Cumming
Joined Feb 2004
2,335 Posts
Dan, the aircraft is available for purchase here: http://www.extremeflightrc.com/store...roducts_id=157

The webpage will be up soon, we've been too busy shipping MXS orders out but should have time to complete it in the next day or two.
EXTREME FLIGHT is offline Find More Posts by EXTREME FLIGHT
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 14, 2012, 03:26 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREME FLIGHT View Post
Dan, the aircraft is available for purchase here: http://www.extremeflightrc.com/store...roducts_id=157

The webpage will be up soon, we've been too busy shipping MXS orders out but should have time to complete it in the next day or two.
I have my money in hand for GREEN

I can't waaaiit!!
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Aug 14, 2012, 03:51 PM
can't buy vaporware
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,485 Posts
Quote:
Nice DOC!! I dig it!

I like yellow planes. I probably wouldn't get it put together until snow is flying anyway, so I am waiting, but it is difficult.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Aug 14, 2012, 04:29 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,351 Posts
When I saw the green one, the first thing I said was...

" I hope that scheme comes in yellow "

I had to get one!