Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
something similar to this...just mine is much higher with a smaller plane lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryLo41deWbE

I think you posted the wrong video? This should have been the wining trick!

2012 Joe Nall One Trick Contest - Daniel and Michael Holman.avi (3 min 7 sec)
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2012, 09:22 AM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICU View Post
Interesting. I just learned to do pop tops this week going by Wamsy's version. I was nailing them pretty regularly with the EF 48" Edge, but not so much with my 3DHS 41" Edge ( just seemed to have too much elev authority).

What makes it a "Pop Top"? Is it the weightless flat spin?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji0UoD0sCs8
I don't know why they call it a pop top, that's why I like the way Doc Austin calls it: The Enema. It makes more sense, IMO lol.

--Tom K.
Tom K. is offline Find More Posts by Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12S on the 3DHS 74" Edge 540
Old Jun 16, 2012, 09:30 AM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,356 Posts
what about a zwiebelturm?

RJ Gritter and Arron Bates discuss the Pop Top (4 min 14 sec)
shadow102 is offline Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:07 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
7,112 Posts
Here's another variation... in Tom's video, while inverted and moving to the apex of his up-line, his left stick goes to the top left corner and his right stick goes to the top right corner for just a moment, then he pulls the left stick down to the bottom left corner and the right stick to the top-center at the same time (if I remember correctly).

For this diagonal spin -- somewhat of a Lomcevak, which is a Czech word, not Russian, meaning "headache' coined by the Slovak aerobatic pilot Ladislav Bezák's airplane mechanic -- I go directly from the inverted up-line to jamming the left stick to the bottom left corner and right stick to the top right corner and wait for three rotations before maneuvering to the perpendicular down-line. I come up inverted sometimes, but I just keep flying inverted to the next maneuver so it looks planned.

Sorry for the poor quality but there was little light left and a full gray overcast and taken on the old camera last year.

SHP Pop Top Tumble.wmv (0 min 49 sec)
Aeroplayin is offline Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:35 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
7,112 Posts
This is what I was trying to achieve. Very cool 3D from Kirby Chambliss... and if you re-apply full throttle, you may actually get it with a short moment, like the MXS... starts at 58 seconds....

Aerobatics - Kirby Chambliss In An Edge 540 (3 min 38 sec)
Aeroplayin is offline Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:51 AM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
7,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati Mechanic View Post
I think you posted the wrong video? This should have been the wining trick!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG1b44aYg6Q
Now that is one Awesome trick! The only reason I think it did not win is that the exit was not as smooth?
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:07 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead View Post
Now that is one Awesome trick! The only reason I think it did not win is that the exit was not as smooth?
KM's exit was smoother?
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:27 PM
This is NOT a TOY?
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Jul 2011
2,585 Posts
C_Watkins is offline Find More Posts by C_Watkins
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by C_Watkins; Jun 16, 2012 at 12:30 PM. Reason: duplicate post
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:29 PM
This is NOT a TOY?
Joined Jul 2011
2,585 Posts
I figured Arron got the nod due to doing it so much lower.... then even lower again... and 'almost' pulling that one off.

I really liked the way Daniel's maneuver just stopped and wound up into it, though
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:30 PM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,585 Posts
Who went first? Maybe Arron got it because he went first and therefore was "original".

--Tom K.
Tom K. is offline Find More Posts by Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12S on the 3DHS 74" Edge 540
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:33 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Watkins View Post
I figured Arron got the nod due to doing it so much lower.... then even lower again... and 'almost' pulling that one off.

I really liked the way Daniel's maneuver just stopped and wound up into it, though
I like Arron, and always enjoy seeing him fly in person, but it just didn't make sense to me? I guess you had to be there?
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:43 PM
This is NOT a TOY?
Joined Jul 2011
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati Mechanic View Post
I like Arron, and always enjoy seeing him fly in person, but it just didn't make sense to me? I guess you had to be there?
I have no idea. Didn't make it up there. I also don't have the skill or cahones to try anything like that, either... so I thought both were awesome

Just saying that "lower" is more dramatic, and in a subjectively-judged event like this... I could understand the sway.
Drama and airshows. Kinda like bread and butter
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 16, 2012, 01:30 PM
Joined Mar 2008
3,753 Posts
Just got done maidening my new 78. What an awesome plane!!!
bigmoebbq is offline Find More Posts by bigmoebbq
Old Jun 16, 2012, 01:31 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,227 Posts
This being our catch all thread and all, I will drop the bad news here.

We have Laser video cooking right now, but that is going to be it for awhile. The reason the Laser video is so late is that I simply can't see well enough to fly any more. The problem comes and goes, and we finally had the camera there when I could actually see what I was doing.

Next Friday I go in for some laser surgery on my eyelids to relieve the pressure on my eyes, but then I have to stay out of the sun for six weeks. I may also have to have another procedure after that, so I will probably lose the whole summer.

I guess if there was any time to not be able to hang around outside, June and July in Florida is not that bad. Hopefully I'll be back in time to help debut the new Pantera and 60" MXS.

Anyway, here is the last MXS video we have. We found it in the camera and don't know when it was. It just is.

Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Jun 16, 2012, 01:36 PM
This is NOT a TOY?
Joined Jul 2011
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
This being our catch all thread and all, I will drop the bad news here.

We have Laser video cooking right now, but that is going to be it for awhile. The reason the Laser video is so late is that I simply can't see well enough to fly any more. The problem comes and goes, and we finally had the camera there when I could actually see what I was doing.

Next Friday I go in for some laser surgery on my eyelids to relieve the pressure on my eyes, but then I have to stay out of the sun for six weeks. I may also have to have another procedure after that, so I will probably lose the whole summer.
Man, I hate to hear that.
Here's to hoping everything works out perfectly for you, and I'll look forward to hearing/seeing that you're back at it again!
RCG Plus Member