SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 05, 2012, 02:10 AM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -= GYRO =- View Post
fellow 48" EXPrs, does anyone have any spare or mildly damaged wings you'd sell? Especially interested in MXS, but I'd take Extra and Edge also.

Thanks!

-Gary
I may. Will check tomorrow. I think I have two pair of 48" Edge in RWB.... But if I do, I would really want to trade for a fuselage in better shape than mine. I blew out the LG Plate a couple times.

Or maybe trade for ultracote that matches my 48 RWB Edge or my 60" Blue and yellow Edge....????
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2012, 08:33 AM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead View Post
I may. Will check tomorrow. I think I have two pair of 48" Edge in RWB.... But if I do, I would really want to trade for a fuselage in better shape than mine. I blew out the LG Plate a couple times.

Or maybe trade for ultracote that matches my 48 RWB Edge or my 60" Blue and yellow Edge....????
Just let me know what you've got and we will work out a deal, however I don't have a spare fuse to trade.

-Gary
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Last edited by -= GYRO =-; May 05, 2012 at 09:11 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 05, 2012, 09:04 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgomes View Post
Man, that lens was making me carsick.

stgdz, I got identical numbers with my DM2820-855 on 4s using a 13x6.5 - higher amps, of course, but 750w, 9500rpm, and 3.1kg thrust.

Any of you remember that guy from Texas who flew his Buck Huck on 5s? I think he had the 103 Omega in there. Man, it was a rocket!!

Go to the thread and search him up - had some great vids.

Steve
Just to put things into perspective, the 13x6.5 on 4 cells with the 855 and 5 cells on the 600 spinning the same prop the same number of RPMs will produce the same power at the prop, but with different system costs.

The 4S setup is running at a very poor 73% efficiency and the 5S setup is at a very good 83% while using 20% less current. The difference in flight time will be about 2 minuted more for the 5S, which means you have the opportunity to go from a 4S 2650mAh battery to a 5S 2200 to cut the weight difference and even out the flight time, but keep the system cooler and more efficient throughout the entire flight. For those of us flying in the GA and FL summers, this means a lot too.
Aeroplayin is offline Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2012, 09:05 AM
It's gone...
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Aug 2004
5,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Watkins View Post
Mercury adhesives are fantastic, and their tips are top notch, too.
Put exactly the amount you want... right where you want it.

Mercury also offers an unlimited, unconditional warranty on their adhesives.
I still remember the first time I was up at Atlanta Hobby and picked up a few bottles of Mercury CA's.
They told me that if any of that ever hardens up in the bottle... ever... they'd replace it for free.
Kinda hard to beat that.
Well crap. I just threw away 3 bottles of Mercury CAs that hardened in the bottle.
To me though CA is CA. Kinda like gasoline is gasoline. The Mercury tips are nice because they do stay cleaner and dont clog. As far as putting glue exactly where I want though... the tip is pretty fat. I have some extenders that I use that I got from HK that work fine and put the glue exactly where I want.

Overall, I like BSI CAs. The price is right, the glue works well and even though the tips are not no clog they do work very well.

For caked up or clogged tips, no matter what brand, I just soak the tips in acetone over night and they come out clean. I save the tips from old bottles so I always have spare clean tips. If you don't have spares just cover the top of the bottle with plastic wrap and put a rubber band around it to keep the glue fresh while you clean your tips.
_OZ_ is offline Find More Posts by _OZ_
Old May 05, 2012, 09:12 AM
It's gone...
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Aug 2004
5,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilliamsrc View Post
True, but there is a way around that. I use an applicator tip and put it down in the slot, let a small amount of CA flow just to hold it then allow it to dry. Then mate the surfaces and hit it with thin CA fully. I have used this procedure on every plane and always good bonding. But if you mess it up you will get what JC Spohr is saying....gotta be careful. Another way to assure that the hinge is centered is to put a T-pin in the center of the hinge then slide it into both surfaces and CA it.
Jeff
I do mine the same way. Pin to center and apply thin CA with an tip extension So glue goes where I want.
Any mess that runs down the covering is easily cleaned up with debonder/acetone/supersolvent.
Old May 05, 2012, 09:14 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OZ_ View Post
Well crap. I just threw away 3 bottles of Mercury CAs that hardened in the bottle.
To me though CA is CA. Kinda like gasoline is gasoline. The Mercury tips are nice because they do stay cleaner and dont clog. As far as putting glue exactly where I want though... the tip is pretty fat. I have some extenders that I use that I got from HK that work fine and put the glue exactly where I want.

Overall, I like BSI CAs. The price is right, the glue works well and even though the tips are not no clog they do work very well.

For caked up or clogged tips, no matter what brand, I just soak the tips in acetone over night and they come out clean. I save the tips from old bottles so I always have spare clean tips. If you don't have spares just cover the top of the bottle with plastic wrap and put a rubber band around it to keep the glue fresh while you clean your tips.
Gorilla doesn't make a thin, but they make a medium that comes is the best bottle you can imagine mainly because the screw-on cap has a needle in it. When I'm done with the medium, I clean it out with acetone and put my thin in it. Also keeping CA in the frig -- next to the BBQ sauce of course -- will make it last longer. Between these two things, my CA lasts until it is completely used which is something I couldn't say in the past.

Plus my BBQ sauce sticks to my ribs better for some reason.
Aeroplayin is offline Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2012, 09:41 AM
It's gone...
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Aug 2004
5,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post

Plus my BBQ sauce sticks to my ribs better for some reason.
Where is the facepalm icon?

Moisture is the big reason why CA hardens. I have some glue that I keep in a container with a package of desiccant that is still fresh. The "daily use" stuff just sits out though and to be fair, the Mercury CA that hardened was siting on my bench, un-used for over a year.
Old May 05, 2012, 10:52 AM
This is NOT a TOY?
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Jul 2011
2,558 Posts
Quote:
Ouch! I hate when that happens.

Quote:
Where is the facepalm icon?

Moisture is the big reason why CA hardens. I have some glue that I keep in a container with a package of desiccant that is still fresh. The "daily use" stuff just sits out though and to be fair, the Mercury CA that hardened was siting on my bench, un-used for over a year.
Yeah, like someone else mentioned, it'll all harden up eventually. Something's wrong if it doesn't.

Mercury's bottle caps do have the pin inserts that someone else mentioned.
They won't clog if closed properly. That's a big plus.

I also like the Mercury because it's produced locally, and we're usually getting fairly fresh product when we get it.
Chances are it'll last you a bit longer than some that may have already been on someone's shelf for a year.

But yeah, I've had all brands harden up. And seen all brands of thin CA lose its 'freshness' and quick wicking/firing properties.
I keep small bottles of thin and thick in my flight tote, out with me in whatever heat/humidity... and figure that's just the cost of keeping it handy.
C_Watkins is offline Find More Posts by C_Watkins
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2012, 10:55 AM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
A couple of things on this CA stuff,

I've always CA'd the control surfaces first and they seemingly hold, granted I only let it wick into the surface and not the exposed hinge. Put the control surface on the wing, two drops on top, two drops on bottom and then I am done.

Also I always use a new bottle for the EF planes, the manual recommends it and I figure its worth it.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old May 05, 2012, 11:14 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
A couple of things on this CA stuff,

I've always CA'd the control surfaces first and they seemingly hold, granted I only let it wick into the surface and not the exposed hinge. Put the control surface on the wing, two drops on top, two drops on bottom and then I am done.

Also I always use a new bottle for the EF planes, the manual recommends it and I figure its worth it.
+1 I always use a new bottle of CA every time I build a new plane. Just to be on the safe side.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old May 05, 2012, 12:39 PM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -= GYRO =- View Post
Just let me know what you've got and we will work out a deal, however I don't have a spare fuse to trade.

-Gary
PM Sent.
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old May 05, 2012, 02:32 PM
Glens Falls, NY
Joined Apr 2010
1,296 Posts
I may have missed it...but I was just wondering...why is there a 90" Extra coming when there is already a 88" Extra? Is the 90 a EXP where as the 88 isn't?

And I wonder if 12S 6600mah would work on an 88"/90" Extra?
TG43 is offline Find More Posts by TG43
Old May 05, 2012, 02:51 PM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG43 View Post
I may have missed it...but I was just wondering...why is there a 90" Extra coming when there is already a 88" Extra? Is the 90 a EXP where as the 88 isn't?

And I wonder if 12S 6600mah would work on an 88"/90" Extra?
The 90 inch planes will be a newer versions of the 88s with many improvements. I will let Chris H explain what those improvements are as the planes come to market.

You could run 12S 6600 but I would prefer 8000s for flight time.
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
Old May 05, 2012, 04:40 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,349 Posts
I've seen the 90" extra EXP up close, and compared to my 78" Extra its very different! Looks more like a EXP with larger control surfaces..

6600's would deplete fast(3-4min). 8000's will give you much better flight times(6-7min).

Not sure how they can get better? My 78" is amazing
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Last edited by Ducati Mechanic; May 05, 2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old May 05, 2012, 06:53 PM
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2006
2,924 Posts
rethinking....
sgomes is offline Find More Posts by sgomes
Last edited by sgomes; May 05, 2012 at 07:40 PM.