HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:26 AM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jul 2010
514 Posts
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but do these balsa wood air frames ever "expire". Like say for instance I by an airframe and just hold onto it for a couple years, are there any problems with that, like will the wood warp or does it grow old or brittle with time or anything like that? I imagine some of the hobby shops have some of these airframes on their shelves for a couple years sometimes before selling them, so I think it would be fine, I don't know, any ideas out there? I ask because I got an Extra 300 EXP 48" but don't think I am going to be able to get all the electronics for a while so I am wondering if it will keep fine in the box for a couple years or so.
jocanon is offline Find More Posts by jocanon
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:44 AM
Team Hillbilly (UK)
United Kingdom, England, Cambs
Joined Oct 2011
1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocanton View Post
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but do these balsa wood air frames ever "expire". Like say for instance I by an airframe and just hold onto it for a couple years, are there any problems with that, like will the wood warp or does it grow old or brittle with time or anything like that? I imagine some of the hobby shops have some of these airframes on their shelves for a couple years sometimes before selling them, so I think it would be fine, I don't know, any ideas out there? I ask because I got an Extra 300 EXP 48" but don't think I am going to be able to get all the electronics for a while so I am wondering if it will keep fine in the box for a couple years or so.
It's mainly how you store them to be honest..they can warp as you say but with careful storage at right temps and avoiding moisture or excessive heat...you should in theory keep these for a long time...

the old fabric covered plane...were an issue as they would rot
Space Bat is offline Find More Posts by Space Bat
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:48 AM
Joined Jul 2010
514 Posts
I have it in my living room, so it will basically be stored at room temperature.
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:59 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,282 Posts
Quote:
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but do these balsa wood air frames ever "expire".
Yes, but you usually have to give them some help.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:05 AM
Team Hillbilly (UK)
United Kingdom, England, Cambs
Joined Oct 2011
1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
Yes, but you usually have to give them some help.
PMSL - yer doc shure knows about MTBF (mean time before failure) and HALT (highly accelerated life testing) testing for sure
Space Bat is offline Find More Posts by Space Bat
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:26 AM
JKasprak
Fayetteville, NC 28304
Joined Jan 2010
854 Posts
Quote:
I have it in my living room, so it will basically be stored at room temperature.
It will be fine for a long time. I've had/seen many models brought out after a long period of storage and flying with success. Especially in your case as you will go over each piece during assembly.
propchief is online now Find More Posts by propchief
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:42 AM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,867 Posts
My nitroplanes stored for about 15years still are fine.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:46 AM
Joined Jul 2010
514 Posts
Thanks for all the responses. Sounds like it should be fine.
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:34 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,742 Posts
Just dont store it anywhere with moisture, like a garage that floods or basement that floods... I have had a Sebart Pitts Python 50e that I was unaware mold had taken to the wings under the covering- First blender and .... well, the wings fold. It had previously been stored in an full scale airplane hangar that was in disrepair and had water issues.
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Boom Smoke!
Old Apr 24, 2012, 02:52 PM
Joined Jul 2010
514 Posts
I have a couple servo questions for the Extra EXP 48". So do most people use the HS65 on ailerons and rudder and HS85 on the elevator? What about the digital 5065 servo, are they much better than the analog HS65? Does the 6v bec provide enough current for all digital servos? I assume it does since it was reccommended. Also, can you mix the digital servos on the ailerons and rudder with an analog HS85 on the elevator, or would a digital 5065 be as good as the analog HS85?
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 24, 2012, 03:02 PM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,360 Posts
i bought a extra exp used and it has 5065 on all surfaces running the internal 6v bec of the airboss esc. Works great i havent felt any blowback on the surfaces and there is a difference to be felt between the digital and non digital servos
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Apr 24, 2012, 03:06 PM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,949 Posts
Quote:
I have a couple servo questions for the Extra EXP 48". So do most people use the HS65 on ailerons and rudder and HS85 on the elevator? What about the digital 5065 servo, are they much better than the analog HS65? Does the 6v bec provide enough current for all digital servos? I assume it does since it was reccommended. Also, can you mix the digital servos on the ailerons and rudder with an analog HS85 on the elevator, or would a digital 5065 be as good as the analog HS85?
All digital for me - I have 5065's on aileron and rudder and a 5085 on elevator.

This allows me to use the High Speed (11ms) mode on my DX8.

You can mix digital and analog servos but you will have to use Low Speed.

The advantage of digital servos is that their speed and torque is the same throughout the travel. Analog reaches maximum torque only at the maximum travel point.

Digital servos more power than an analog - may or may not be a problem depending on your setup.

JC

ps - I originally had a 5065 on the elevator. But with 88 degrees of up throw desired, it wasn't up to the job.
JC Spohr is online now Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: About Me
Old Apr 24, 2012, 03:15 PM
Joined Jul 2010
514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Spohr View Post
Digital servos more power than an analog - may or may not be a problem depending on your setup.
Using Airboss 45A Esc, the one that comes with the combo pack, is that what you are using on the all digital set up with HS-5085MG in elevator?
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 24, 2012, 03:54 PM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,949 Posts
Quote:
Using Airboss 45A Esc, the one that comes with the combo pack, is that what you are using on the all digital set up with HS-5085MG in elevator?
Yes - the current EF power package with Torque motor and the 45A Airboss w/ 6v BEC built-in.

12x6 APC prop and 2650 batteries - plenty of performance and flight times around 7-8 minutes.

JC
JC Spohr is online now Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: About Me
Old Apr 24, 2012, 03:59 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,867 Posts
Unless you want to step up to 5s
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz