SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 26, 2010, 11:50 PM
TEAM EXTREME!
High Prairie, WA
Joined Nov 2007
1,713 Posts
25% Expo on the ailerons/elevator and 15% on the rudder works great as well.
danielph is offline Find More Posts by danielph
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2010, 12:24 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielph View Post
25% Expo on the ailerons/elevator and 15% on the rudder works great as well.
On high rates? Woo-hoo .... I don't think I could hang on to that.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Dec 27, 2010, 12:25 AM
Denver Colorado
Joined Jan 2010
921 Posts
Doc I do have about 80 degrees of throw in my Extra and about 90 in the MXS. The MXS wasnt hard to fly just more touchy on the elevator. For the style of flying I do I think the size of the elevator suit me best. The MXS is an awesome plane and was my favorite till I got my 51 Slick.

The MXS is great at just about any type of flying but my style like the Extra better.

The Extra is my Favorite 48" sized plane followed suit by the MXS.
grubby is offline Find More Posts by grubby
Old Dec 27, 2010, 12:27 AM
Denver Colorado
Joined Jan 2010
921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
On high rates? Woo-hoo .... I don't think I could hang on to that.
I only setup expo on one rate with my extra and it was a bad idea. Instictively I flipped the switch and was running 0 expo on all controls
grubby is offline Find More Posts by grubby
Old Dec 27, 2010, 12:42 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubby View Post
I only setup expo on one rate with my extra and it was a bad idea. Instictively I flipped the switch and was running 0 expo on all controls
I once accidentially set up my low rates with backward expo. It was fine on high rates, but on low it was so twitchy I could hardly fly it at all!

I know how valuable rate switches are, but my problem is that I go from high speed to alpha and back again over and over so fast that I am always flipping the switch, and I don't like the distraction. I generally leave the switch alone and do everything on high rates. I'm currently using low rates to work the elevator only, and that is to drop it from 88 degrees to 50.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 12:50 AM
TEAM EXTREME!
High Prairie, WA
Joined Nov 2007
1,713 Posts
I feel more more in tune with the plane with less expo. Everything feels more precise as well. It's all personal preference and I don't drink coffee... (not saying there's anything wrong with it. lol)
Old Dec 27, 2010, 09:35 AM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,605 Posts
so it seems the Extra has the reputation for precision, IMAC, and 3D.

The MXS has insane tumbling and pitch.

What would you say the Edge is known for? My edge tumbles so quickly I can't keep up with it. I can't imagine what the mxs must be like.
DenverJayhawk is online now Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Dec 27, 2010, 09:46 AM
TEAM EXTREME!
High Prairie, WA
Joined Nov 2007
1,713 Posts
The Edge is the most stable in 3D and IMO, the most fun for freestyle flying! -they're all good and it's hard to chose.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 09:48 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post

The MXS is for insane tumbling

What would you say the Edge is known for? My edge tumbles so quickly I can't keep up with it. I can't imagine what the mxs must be like.
The Edge is very similar to the Extra, but I think it is more solid in harrier. I need to put together another Edge as soon as they are back in stock, and this time use an 85MG on the elevator servo.

BTW, I used one of the new 6 volt Airboss 45 ESCs on this plane and do those poor little servos ever scream their guts out now. No matter how hard I parachute or wall the Extra, the elevator servo can keep up...ailerons and rudder too. The Airboss was already the best ESC and now it's even better.

Unfortunately I have about 10 of them I need to replace with the improved units!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielph View Post
The Edge is the most stable in 3D and IMO, the most fun for freestyle flying! -they're all good and it's hard to chose.
More fun than the MXS?
Old Dec 27, 2010, 01:14 PM
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2008
4,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
The Edge is very similar to the Extra, but I think it is more solid in harrier. I need to put together another Edge as soon as they are back in stock, and this time use an 85MG on the elevator servo.

BTW, I used one of the new 6 volt Airboss 45 ESCs on this plane and do those poor little servos ever scream their guts out now. No matter how hard I parachute or wall the Extra, the elevator servo can keep up...ailerons and rudder too. The Airboss was already the best ESC and now it's even better.

Unfortunately I have about 10 of them I need to replace with the improved units!

More fun than the MXS?
Doc I didn't know about the new Airboss's they sound great!
Twisted Realm is offline Find More Posts by Twisted Realm
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 27, 2010, 01:53 PM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Realm View Post
Doc I didn't know about the new Airboss's they sound great!
Same here. I have the airboss 45 and the info says it has 5.2v. Didn't know about the 6V upgrade.
DenverJayhawk is online now Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Dec 27, 2010, 02:13 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,010 Posts
Quote:
Same here. I have the airboss 45 and the info says it has 5.2v. Didn't know about the 6V upgrade.
It's a recent improvement and Extreme Flight didn't make a big deal out of it, but it's a righteous upgrade. I don't know why they did it, but I am guessing that the EXP series is so much higher performing that the servos needed a little help to keep up with the airframes.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 05:09 PM
Norway
Joined Mar 2010
31 Posts
Rocket launch
havard.j is offline Find More Posts by havard.j
Old Dec 27, 2010, 06:02 PM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,330 Posts
Quote:

The MXS has insane tumbling and pitch.

I know you got a lot of answers but here's what I think.

The Edge is the 3D machine. You can pop the elevator and harrier, waterfall, hover and all the traditional 3D stuff with ease. It's got a very much forward wing area and a very aft elevator which makes those maneuvers that require balancing the plane on the prop easier, much like it is easier to balance a long broom stick on your finger than it is a short one.

I find the MXS to be the most precise but it also has the most elevator control which makes it have, IMO, the biggest flight envelope of the three. It ranges from pattern-like-precision to insane 3D passing pylon racer somewhere in the middle. Because it has a double taper wing and a slightly higher aspect ratio (with the tips) it is not as easy to 3D (yet is still fully 3D capable) it snaps, rolls and tumbles beautifully. Additionally with the horizontal stab slid forward some of the leverage from the huge elevator is kept in check and even though the elevator is both huge and can deflect nearly 90 degrees I find that it is less sensitive in precision than the Edge.

The Extra to me is more like a jack of all trades. It does have a double taper wing, which snaps and rolls easier than the Edge but it doesn't have the tips which make the MXS so smooth. It does have a huge elevator and lots of throw (all three of them do) but the elevator seems to be tamer and more controlled than the Edge in precision. It does great tumbles and pushovers but they require more skill than the Edge and aren't as crazy as the MXS.

I like all 3 of them and on any given day I pick the one suits whatever I am practicing the best.
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
Old Dec 27, 2010, 06:03 PM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by havard.j View Post
Rocket launch
Nice! That looks like and awesome place to fly! Where are you?
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777